Princess Shuttle to Rome City Center drop off point?

katmu

Hello-  

Has anyone not staying at a Princess hotel taken a Princess shuttle at the end of their cruise from Civitavecchia to the city center?  I made a not so successful attempt to chat with Princess last night to see if they could give me the exact location in the “City Center” but the rep only had the starting address.  My other options are the train or a private car service like RomeCabs.  If the shuttle was fairly close to my hotel I would probably do that since I’m solo.

1 hour ago, katmu said:

Hello-  

Has anyone not staying at a Princess hotel taken a Princess shuttle at the end of their cruise from Civitavecchia to the city center?  I made a not so successful attempt to chat with Princess last night to see if they could give me the exact location in the “City Center” but the rep only had the starting address.  My other options are the train or a private car service like RomeCabs.  If the shuttle was fairly close to my hotel I would probably do that since I’m solo.

If you’re looking for possible Princess hotels, for the location, here’s a link.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/cruise-ports-and-hotels/

I generally prefer to book my hotel separately rather than through Princess.  I have my hotels already booked.   Princess can’t seem to answer where the post-cruise transfer drops off in Rome.

25 minutes ago, katmu said:

I generally prefer to book my hotel separately rather than through Princess.  I have my hotels already booked.   Princess can’t seem to answer where the post-cruise transfer drops off in Rome.

Maybe someone on a current roll call that will end in Rome could check with shore excursions desk?  Or, If there is a live thread on the forum?

Did you call and select the book shore excursions line?  Or, have a TA that might be able to check for you?

I booked through Princess so I’ve reached out to my CFP to see if she can get me a more definitive answer.  I’m assuming that the drop off point may be Termini station but it would be good to know for sure.  

3 hours ago, phabric said:

I took Princess post excursion.  After the excursion they let people off at the train station then continued on to the airport.

It has been a few years for us, but when we took the Princess transfer bus, it also dropped us off at the train station. I remember that there were a couple of Princess reps that were there because there was a bit of chaos as apparently taxis are normally available and for some reason they didn't get the message. The Princess reps handled it nicely calling to get more taxis. There was a bit of a wait, but we did get a taxi to our hotel.

• Like 2

We are currently in Rome about to board the Enchanted. I wouldn’t bother with the high price of a princess transfer unless you have excess baggage. You can take a direct drain to St Petrio next to the Vatican for $10 per person. That is how we will be getting to the port Saturday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fpsphil said:

We are currently in Rome about to board the Enchanted. I wouldn’t bother with the high price of a princess transfer unless you have excess baggage. You can take a direct drain to St Petrio next to the Vatican for $10 per person. That is how we will be getting to the port Saturday

I’m traveling with only a carry on but some mobility issues due to an accident. That is the bigger issue.  I was looking for pictures or video of the S Pietro station to know if there are flight(s) of stairs required.

2 hours ago, katmu said:

I was looking for pictures or video of the S Pietro station to know if there are flight(s) of stairs required.

I don't know about the station, but most of the ancient center of Rome is not too accessibly for people with impairments.

Edited by EDVM96

Perhaps we should talk a little about this for those that have little first hand knowledge of Rome.  Yes, you can take a train between Rome and Civitavecchia.  But keep in mind you must first get to one of the train stations (Termini or St Pietro are options in Rome), drag your luggage some distance through the station, get your own luggage on the train (which can be crowded), find a place to put your luggage and than keep in under constant surveillance (there are luggage thieves), get the luggage off the train, through the station (which may involve steps at Civitavecchia, and to either a shuttle bus or to a taxi (if you can find a taxi).  We have often used the train, but not with luggage!  By the way, if you are talking the train to or from Termini (the main Rome train station) you might consider that the track used for Civitavecchia is a very long (seems like a mile) way from the main entrance.  There is a closer side entrance (if open) but you do need to know where to go.  And I am not sure if there is a way to buy a ticket (if you don't have one) using that "secret" side entrance.

As to using Princess shuttle buses, keep in mind that they may have more than one pick-up point (if starting in Rome) or drop off (if ending in Rome) so it can take time.  Consider that a private transfer (or even a taxi) gets you relatively quickly from Point A to Point B!

As to stairs, there are stairs (and they are steep) at Civitavecchia.  I am not sure of the status of an elevator (we have been to the station when there was no operating elevator) which means you will need to get your luggage down a long flight of steep steps, through an underground tunnel, and than up a similar set of steep steps...just to get from the track to the terminal.  Perhaps somebody who has recently (last few months) been to Civitavecchia can say if there is now a working elevator.

Lets be clear that it is easy to get between Civitavecchia and Rome via taxi/private transfer!  There is no shortage of taxis (especially in Rome) and either Romeinlimo.com or romecabs.com (both reliable companies) can provide pre booked transfers.

Hank

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

I don't know about the station, but most of the ancient center of Rome is not too accessibly for people with impairments.

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps we should talk a little about this for those that have little first hand knowledge of Rome.  Yes, you can take a train between Rome and Civitavecchia.  But keep in mind you must first get to one of the train stations (Termini or St Pietro are options in Rome), drag your luggage some distance through the station, get your own luggage on the train (which can be crowded), find a place to put your luggage and than keep in under constant surveillance (there are luggage thieves), get the luggage off the train, through the station (which may involve steps at Civitavecchia, and to either a shuttle bus or to a taxi (if you can find a taxi).  We have often used the train, but not with luggage!  By the way, if you are talking the train to or from Termini (the main Rome train station) you might consider that the track used for Civitavecchia is a very long (seems like a mile) way from the main entrance.  There is a closer side entrance (if open) but you do need to know where to go.  And I am not sure if there is a way to buy a ticket (if you don't have one) using that "secret" side entrance.

As to using Princess shuttle buses, keep in mind that they may have more than one pick-up point (if starting in Rome) or drop off (if ending in Rome) so it can take time.  Consider that a private transfer (or even a taxi) gets you relatively quickly from Point A to Point B!

As to stairs, there are stairs (and they are steep) at Civitavecchia.  I am not sure of the status of an elevator (we have been to the station when there was no operating elevator) which means you will need to get your luggage down a long flight of steep steps, through an underground tunnel, and than up a similar set of steep steps...just to get from the track to the terminal.  Perhaps somebody who has recently (last few months) been to Civitavecchia can say if there is now a working elevator.

Lets be clear that it is easy to get between Civitavecchia and Rome via taxi/private transfer!  There is no shortage of taxis (especially in Rome) and either Romeinlimo.com or romecabs.com (both reliable companies) can provide pre booked transfers.

Hank

So that everyone is clear, this is not my first visit to Rome as I was in Rome for a week several months before my accident on a land based vacation.  I know my way around the Centro Storico and am very familiar with the risk of theft at Termini, on buses and elsewhere in Rome. I have taken a few international trips since my accident so at this point I know what my leg can handle, and it largely comes down to balancing the busier days with a not as busy day.  I can carry my own bags.  

If I’m spending 160 euro on a private transfer, that is cutting into my tour budget as I’m either doing things on my own or as a private solo tour as I don’t want to hold up a group just in case I need to take an extra break.  If the private tour is the only option, I actually used RomeCabs on my last trip as I was traveling with my mom and wanted it to be as easy as possible for her.

10 minutes ago, katmu said:

So that everyone is clear, this is not my first visit to Rome as I was in Rome for a week several months before my accident on a land based vacation.  I know my way around the Centro Storico and am very familiar with the risk of theft at Termini, on buses and elsewhere in Rome. I have taken a few international trips since my accident so at this point I know what my leg can handle, and it largely comes down to balancing the busier days with a not as busy day.  I can carry my own bags.  

If I’m spending 160 euro on a private transfer, that is cutting into my tour budget as I’m either doing things on my own or as a private solo tour as I don’t want to hold up a group just in case I need to take an extra break.  If the private tour is the only option, I actually used RomeCabs on my last trip as I was traveling with my mom and wanted it to be as easy as possible for her.

If you are traveling as a single, we can understand the reluctance to use a private transfer or taxi.  DW and I have had good luck using the CC Roll Call boards to find 1  2 couples (we like to limit it to 6 people) to share transfers in Rome (have done it from the port to the airport and the port to the city).  We have never tried to put together a small group for a transfer from the city to the port since that does become more complicated.  But it might be worth a try.  A group of 6 costs about 35 Euros per person, which is an excellent value.

Hank

15 hours ago, katmu said:

I’m traveling with only a carry on but some mobility issues due to an accident. That is the bigger issue.  I was looking for pictures or video of the S Pietro station to know if there are flight(s) of stairs required.

Tommorow when we leave out of there I will scout it. We will be having quite a few bags so ramps will be nice.

20 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Tommorow when we leave out of there I will scout it. We will be having quite a few bags so ramps will be nice.

Thank you.  I have a feeling there isn’t an elevator but it would be nice to know for sure.