Positano vs Sorrento

Bellablue

We are booking a private excursion to Pompeii and a winery from the Naples port and would also like to visit either Positano or Sorrento.  We are so torn!  While Sorrento is logistically closer, we have never been to the Almafi Coast and would love to see a quaint town.   We leave from Naples at 8am, then head to either Positano or Sorrento, then Pompeii, then the winery.   Would love to hear your impressions of either town.  Pros/cons.  We will be traveling with 2 teenage boys.  Thanks!

Honestly, it's hard to call anything on the Amalfi Coast quaint anymore.  The entire area is so overtouristed that it's hardly even pleasant during the high season.

You might consider the other end of the coast, down toward Vietri sul Mare, the town famous for ceramics.  It's easier to get to (right off the autostrada) and if you want to see more of the coast you can have them drive you out towards Maiori and Minori, it's a bit less crowded there.

VIETRI SUL MARE - Amalfi Coast Travel guide (amalfitanacoast.com)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bellablue said:

We leave from Naples at 8am, then head to either Positano or Sorrento, then Pompeii, then the winery.

Is that cast in stone? 😁 I would much rather hit Pompeii early in the day.  Cooller and less crowded.  

At the start of May we stayed in Sorrento for a week.  It was very crowded.  We did go over to Positano and Ravello and it was even more crowded, almost uncomfortably crowded and it was only the first week of May!

FWIW

If you absolutely must, then for purely practical reasons I would choose Sorrento over Positano, although Sorrento is not actually on the Amalfi Coast.

If you search for and read past threads with the word Positano and/or Amalfi Coast,(some links below) you will find many comments about the possibility of delays and congestion on the Amalfi Coastal road, also references to the new driving regulations brought in for the summer months to help ease congestion, also issues with Positano access, that is, if you want to go into Positano itself rather than simply viewing from above.  Of the two, Sorrento could be less worrisome.

Your tour provider will be very aware of the potential for delays getting you back to the ship and may advise against both if time doesn't allow. I would take advice from them.

From the suggested itinerary you posted, it would appear that the operator is going to the furthest point from the ship first and the more problematic Amalfi Coastal route earlier probably hoping for less traffic at that time than there could be later on in the day,and working back with a shorter journey to the port at the end of the tour, all very sensible (and I am guessing that the winery visit  may be fairly close to Naples)could be either shortened or dropped completely  if timing becomes an issue as that may be the least important element of the tour for you.  It would also explain why you are not going to Pompeii first as earlier is usually preferable due to the crowds and heat which build up as the day goes on.(post #3)

To get you started

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=positano&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

and

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=amalfi coast&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

Edited by edinburgher

we have never been to the Almafi Coast and would love to see a quaint town.

Not a single one of these left in that area any more unless you go way off the tourist hot spots. Same with Capri where you would not lack for company either..

Edited by edinburgher

On this topic I am very outspoken (what else is new).  There is simply no comparison.  To us, Sorrento is just the main city near the Amalfi Coast (where our hotel owner friends take their kids to buy school supplies) and where most of the lower cost land tours stop for the night (there are many tourist class hotels).  Positano is a very special town, still popular with some jet setters, and built along the face of a very steep hill/cliff.  

When we stay on the Amalfi Coast we normally book a place in the small village of Praiano which is only a few kilometers from Positano.  Even when we spend a week on the coast it is unlikely we would every go to Sorrento which we think holds little charm when compared to the towns that are truly on the "Amalfi Coast."  In fact, Sorrento is not even on the Amalfi Coast!

As to places to see on the Amalfi Coast, in terms of towns we would rank in order of charm/preference 1. Positano, 2. Ravello, and 3. Amalfi.  You might get some argument about the order of #s 2 and 3, but nobody would argue about #1.

Hank

• Like 2

We spent a week on the Amalfi coast years back and explored all that we could, loving every moment. We used the Sita public busses and it worked well and the ferry worked well for Capri. We stayed in a quaint spot near Amalfi/Ravello. We absolutely loved those two places. Also thought Positano was incredible. Quite a walk down and back up, so be prepared for that if you choose to. Sorento does not have that ‘charm’, nor really on the Amalfi coast.  Pompeii truly deserves a good amount of time in itself so please consider that in your plans. We have taken the ferry to Capri a couple times while on Naples port stops, but that is because we have seen the other locals and the current crowds. While I agree that Pompeii first is the best bet, it may not be logistically. You do not say how long you are in port?  If you do not have a late day, all three would possibly be really rushed when you factor in traffic and driving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, Hlitner said:

On this topic I am very outspoken (what else is new).  There is simply no comparison.  To us, Sorrento is just the main city near the Amalfi Coast (where our hotel owner friends take their kids to buy school supplies) and where most of the lower cost land tours stop for the night (there are many tourist class hotels).  Positano is a very special town, still popular with some jet setters, and built along the face of a very steep hill/cliff.  

When we stay on the Amalfi Coast we normally book a place in the small village of Praiano which is only a few kilometers from Positano.  Even when we spend a week on the coast it is unlikely we would every go to Sorrento which we think holds little charm when compared to the towns that are truly on the "Amalfi Coast."  In fact, Sorrento is not even on the Amalfi Coast!

As to places to see on the Amalfi Coast, in terms of towns we would rank in order of charm/preference 1. Positano, 2. Ravello, and 3. Amalfi.  You might get some argument about the order of #s 2 and 3, but nobody would argue about #1.

Hank

Where do you like to stay in Praiano?  

40 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That looks very nice!  Do you know how far ahead they open reservations. I keep getting “invalid selection” message when I try to book. 

Have no clue.  But when we recently ran into a similar problem with a hotel in Croatia, I just started "testing" their system by putting in random dates until I figured out how far in advance they opened reservations.  Onde Verde was (probably still) owned and operated by a very friendly family.  If you are truly interested, you could just send them an e-mail and ask when they open reservations or would they now take a direct booking.  I should add that the hotel also has some free parking  Their hotel is actually built into a steep hill/cliff and the parking garage is on the roof which is at the same level as the Amalfi Drive.  The elevator goes down from the garage.  Strange :).

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Have no clue.  But when we recently ran into a similar problem with a hotel in Croatia, I just started "testing" their system by putting in random dates until I figured out how far in advance they opened reservations.  Onde Verde was (probably still) owned and operated by a very friendly family.  If you are truly interested, you could just send them an e-mail and ask when they open reservations or would they now take a direct booking.  I should add that the hotel also has some free parking  Their hotel is actually built into a steep hill/cliff and the parking garage is on the roof which is at the same level as the Amalfi Drive.  The elevator goes down from the garage.  Strange :).

Hank

I did send them an email. I tried doing mock bookings in May-July of next year with no luck. I’m looking for end of July. 

That is strange. I doubt we will rent a car. The road there looks very dangerous. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

7 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There's really no point in a rental car along the coast in the summer.  You would only be able to use it every other day as they have a system to reduce traffic based on license plate numbers.

I really don’t want one anyway, but thanks!

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

The car issue for us, generally means we are driving around Italy (sometimes for weeks) and drive to our Amalfi Coast highway.  On the coast we did use our car to go to places like Amalfi and Ravello, Salerno and even to Paestum but never suggest folks should try to drive into Positano.  The new odd/even rules did not exist so that was not an issue and I have no idea how that works for folks staying on the coast.  Some might say I am somewhat of a rebel since I have been driving throughout Italy (and much of Europe) for decades and generally prefer having a car to using trains.  Driving in Italy is not for recommended unless you have iron nerves :).  

As to driving on the Amalfi Drive, we do not consider it a dangerous road, and in fact, it is usually quite safe since traffic often moves at a crawl.  When you are high up in a bus and are looking over the edge of a cliff, it can be scary.  But in a car, there are decent guardrails (which you do not see looking out from a bus window) which make the hairy turns quite tame.

Hank