Jewel, June 12-19, 2023: observations and thoughts

libtrek

We’ve cruised to Alaska 5+ times. This was the first with Hubs using a walking cane and newly diagnosed with beginning dementia.1. I should have requested a wheelchair for airports and embarkation/debarkation. 2. Also, I didn’t realize how disorienting almost 24-hours of daylight would be. I learned new coping skills! Suggest a bell on the door or something similar in case they get up, get dressed, and try to leave thinking it’s 11am not pm. 3. Go light with luggage. Use the laundry service. Trying to juggle 2 suitcases and a slow, somewhat clumsy person is impossible. 4. Bring distractions for the dementia, colorful brochures, games etc. 5. Be honest with yourself, it’s a lot for one able person. I have to say, though, fellow passengers were VERY kind. When he got restless on the plane and wanted to get off, the lady sitting with us engaged him in a computer game on the screen. Another time, a young women came over after hearing him being very cranky and said she was a nurse on a dementia unit and offered to help and gave me suggestions.

The cruise itself was, for the most part, great. 1. Embarkation in Vancouver was smooth BUT once on the ship, rooms not ready until 4pm. 2. All food was fine. We really liked ChinChin, had 4 specialty, Moderna, Cagneys, LeBisto, LaCucina. Service and food impressive. 3. We usually book our own tours, but with Hubs, decided to do ship tours. I was pleasantly surprised how well they went. It seemed like the operators are experienced in handling disabilities. Alaska is beautiful. I LOVED the train ride from Seward to Anchorage. 4. The staff did seem overworked and I miss having 2 room services a day. Despite that, staff was friendly with big smiles.

Overall, I loved the cruise but came home exhausted from traveling home. It was bittersweet because I know we might not be able to go again.

• Like 16

@libtrek sending you a hug and so much compassion!

Dementia is so hard in so many ways.  It sounds like your husband is changing as his dementia progresses. 

The bell on the door is a great idea-thank you! I’ve read about carers of people with dementia using geotags as well and putting a photo of the person on the cabin door so they can find their cabin.

For the first time, I have written to NCL’s Access Desk to request support for my dad’s dementia.  They told me that close to the cruise they would send the phone number of the person at the port to contact for ease with embarkation but we board in 6 days and have not received this number.

I’m so glad you experienced kindness from others throughout your travels.

Are you receiving any help or home support for your husband?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

@libtrek sending you a hug and so much compassion!

Dementia is so hard in so many ways.  It sounds like your husband is changing as his dementia progresses. 

Are you receiving any help or home support for your husband?

Yes, he has changed in many ways. Way less active and sleeps a lot. Thanks for the hug! Have contacted local aid agency but still thinking about what I want to do. No home care help yet but I can see it in our future. I want to keep him home as long as I can. He is cranky at times but every day is Ground Hog Day.

• Like 1

I also want to say that you did great; I can't imagine it doing it as a solo caregiver.  We went on a cruise as a "final" one for my FIL, and everyone went, which meant about 14 caregivers of children, in laws, and grandchildren, and it was a lot of work.  Last December, the 3 of us brought MIL (FIL passed away 3 years ago), and it was still a lot of work.  None had dementia! 

Also thanks for sharing!  Love that random strangers came with help!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, libtrek said:

We’ve cruised to Alaska 5+ times. This was the first with Hubs using a walking cane and newly diagnosed with beginning dementia.1. I should have requested a wheelchair for airports and embarkation/debarkation. 2. Also, I didn’t realize how disorienting almost 24-hours of daylight would be. I learned new coping skills! Suggest a bell on the door or something similar in case they get up, get dressed, and try to leave thinking it’s 11am not pm. 3. Go light with luggage. Use the laundry service. Trying to juggle 2 suitcases and a slow, somewhat clumsy person is impossible. 4. Bring distractions for the dementia, colorful brochures, games etc. 5. Be honest with yourself, it’s a lot for one able person. I have to say, though, fellow passengers were VERY kind. When he got restless on the plane and wanted to get off, the lady sitting with us engaged him in a computer game on the screen. Another time, a young women came over after hearing him being very cranky and said she was a nurse on a dementia unit and offered to help and gave me suggestions.

The cruise itself was, for the most part, great. 1. Embarkation in Vancouver was smooth BUT once on the ship, rooms not ready until 4pm. 2. All food was fine. We really liked ChinChin, had 4 specialty, Moderna, Cagneys, LeBisto, LaCucina. Service and food impressive. 3. We usually book our own tours, but with Hubs, decided to do ship tours. I was pleasantly surprised how well they went. It seemed like the operators are experienced in handling disabilities. Alaska is beautiful. I LOVED the train ride from Seward to Anchorage. 4. The staff did seem overworked and I miss having 2 room services a day. Despite that, staff was friendly with big smiles.

Overall, I loved the cruise but came home exhausted from traveling home. It was bittersweet because I know we might not be able to go again.

Yes, he has changed in many ways. Way less active and sleeps a lot. Thanks for the hug! Have contacted local aid agency but still thinking about what I want to do. No home care help yet but I can see it in our future. I want to keep him home as long as I can. He is cranky at times but every day is Ground Hog Day.

You did great!

Sounds like you had nice trip under the circumstances.....

I really feel for you, my father has dementia and my mother is his caretaker, she wants to have him home as long as she can take care of him, she is 86. My father was once extremely active, now he sleeps or lays around 18 hours a day. All I have to say is thank god for medical marijuana. It really does help him from getting angry and has stopped the crazy mood swings you see in some people with dementia 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

It sounds like you made a nice memory. I am sorry for what you are going through.

I have recently learned about a very helpful product. There is a device for a mat that goes on the floor bedside. When the person gets out of bed a light/alarm is activated on a remote. Therefore you know when they are up. (This might not work in Alaska with 24 hour light.)

It is not complicated or expensive. It is a good helper.

Needless to say it is available on a site where you can buy everything.

• Like 3