Current Wine List on Board Now

PGI GUY

52 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

One can ask to see the exact bottle prior to its opening to read label, alcohol content, vintage, description.  Have done this, no problem with staff.

Certainly, but then you have to order the bottle semi-blind, wait for it to come out, look at it and figure out the date, then decide if you want to keep it or send it back.  And if you send it back, then you are going to repeat the process with the next selection you make.

Now granted, for a lot of wine, it might not make a difference.  But if you are ordering the Chateau Montelena or the Silver Oak, you definitely want to know what vintage you are getting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 1:32 PM, Stickman1990 said:

For those who prefer spirits etc over wine here’s the list from Viking Neptune right now - more than adequate selection available to us with the Silver drinks package 

IMG_1171.thumb.jpeg.7a0c7026199ace0f0de01418b3c9d6df.jpeg

IMG_1172.thumb.jpeg.d340c3317a834b5767132aad370858a6.jpeg

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.ed2f0be37e3095e5f4d6c1a3f7299b65.jpeg

IMG_1174.thumb.jpeg.923672f4b9b5f4e75f5cf68a93f8e9d4.jpeg

IMG_1175.thumb.jpeg.0e48ced1d7ca2d9f930cdb14c2f28424.jpeg

IMG_1176.thumb.jpeg.ba30bd2a5deb62891d9910e2f4f50e2a.jpeg

IMG_1177.thumb.jpeg.a1de3d92564abd2e1f8e7ce967ba8836.jpeg

Maybe I overlooked it, but is the LemonDrop Martini no longer available??

9 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

If it ain't Trader Vic it ain't Mai Tai.

The drink became wildly popular and the world supply of 17 year old Wray & Nephew was depleted in short order (as of a couple years ago a bar in Dublin still had a bottle and would make you a Mai Tai for about $1,500). Many experts agree that Denizen Merchant's Reserve comes very close to the original flavor profile Vic Bergeron achieved. Others find a combination of aged Jamaica (12 year Appleton Estate) and aged Rhum Agricole (Clement) works well. But Amaretto, apricot brandy, pineapple juice? - someone should be shot. This all was worked over pretty well in an earlier thread (including my recipe): https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743248-the-virtual-explorers-lounge/page/82/#comment-64685130

• Haha 1

We go to Maui every January and every establishment has their own "Mai Tai", some better than others. I don't really like rum, so I only have them occasionally when we are there. The ones that have lilikoi foam on them (Monkeypod) are my favorite but most are too sweet. The argument about the correct Mai Tai is a constant one on the Hawaii travel boards.

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Duque, I fear you aint getting that one on Viking.  Or any other ship.  Pays to stick to martinis...🍸

I've always got a decent Margarita - which suits me just fine. Or a Bombay Sapphire martini. Mostly beer though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

We go to Maui every January and every establishment has their own "Mai Tai", some better than others. I don't really like rum, so I only have them occasionally when we are there. The ones that have lilikoi foam on them (Monkeypod) are my favorite but most are too sweet. The argument about the correct Mai Tai is a constant one on the Hawaii travel boards.

Link?

Had the best  Cosmos on the Jupiter in the Restaurant many evenings at dinner,, better than at the Aquavit Bar. 

just ask for a lemon drop martini at any bar. As Jim said they do not put every cocktail on the  menu.

• Like 1

duque- The discussions are on the Tripadvisor Hawaii boards, randomly - you can search them for people's opinion. This is the recipe for the Monkeypod ones that I got from;
Ingredients
  • 1 oz. Old Lahaina Light Rum
  • 1 oz. Old Lahaina Dark Rum
  • ½ oz. macadamia-nut orgeat
  • ½ oz. Marie Brizard Orange Curaçao
  • ¾ oz. fresh lime juice
  • Honey Liliko‘i Foam
  • ½ oz. honey
  • 1 oz. liliko‘i purée
  • 1 oz. simple syrup
  • 1 oz. egg whites
  • 1.5 oz. cold water

Instructions
  1. Mix foam ingredients well and put in a nitrous-oxide (NO2) infuser to half capacity. Use 4 charges for a liter-sized infuser. (Or blend ingredients on high speed till foamy.)
  2. Add lime juice, orgeat, orange curaçao and Old Lahaina Light Rum to mixing glass. Shake with 1 cup cubed ice about 30 seconds and pour into highball glass. Float dark rum. Top with honey-liliko‘i foam and garnish with pineapple half moon.

e613e13a3cecd87126189136ff507530-e1630789894989.jpg

Since,  we are speaking wine and drinks.  I just booked my first Viking cruise.   We have been in Regent before.   Is it correct that if I order a $100 bottle of wine,  they will charge me 15% tip on top of it - same for any drinks we order?  I’m expecting to purchase the drink package - does that change the tipping part of this?   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Since,  we are speaking wine and drinks.  I just booked my first Viking cruise.   We have been in Regent before.   Is it correct that if I order a $100 bottle of wine,  they will charge me 15% tip on top of it - same for any drinks we order?  I’m expecting to purchase the drink package - does that change the tipping part of this?   

Welcome to your first Viking cruise.

All drink prices ,including drink package, include the gratuity. No need to tip additionally.

I have always had the drink package . I do know you also get a discount on a bottle of wine but do not know what percentage is currently. 

I suggest you go on your MJV and go to link to Silver Spirit drink  package and it  the  provide a list of benefits .

I have brought a bottle of wine on board when we were in port in Spain. Gave to to the  Restaurant host  to chill for dinner. No corkage fee on Viking if you bring your own bottle to dinner. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Thanks for the quick response.   There may be lots of wine flying with me.  

You can bring all the wine or liquor or other beverages  you want on board. Viking treats their passengers like adult, no nickel and dimming once on board. 

• Like 2