“Ice White” (interpreting Alaska dress code for men)

cardiffmatch

Hello all,

We will be heading on our first Cunard cruise on 17th July on the QE and I am looking for help with the gala night dress code for two men.

We have two gala nights - “Ice White” and “Masquerade”.

We have happily dressed up in black tie on other cruise lines in the past. I understand that Cunard is generally ‘dressier’.

My questions for you as experienced Cunard cruisers are:

1) Are either of these dress codes an excuse to break out the white tie (tails etc) for the first time in years, or would straightforward black tie be more the way to go for either or both evenings?

2) If we did go with white tie, would we be the only ones?

For context - special occasion holiday, staying in Queens Grill and no issue with luggage limit for flights.

Any thoughts appreciated, or indeed suggestions for alternative approaches to the Ice White dress code!

Huge thanks

BM

We find in QG, bar a couple of guests in dark suits, most chaps are  in Black Tie but White Tie sounds fun. You will most definitely be in a very, very small minority and if that matters to you then go Black Tie.

If it doesn't, then wear with aplomb and with your mask for the masquerade ball, however bear in mind,the majority of chaps will not be giving 'a nod' to the themes, but that doesn't mean you can't. 🙂

I'm considering white tie with an ordinary dinner suit. My wife plans to wear another white gown accessorised with black for our next black & white night. I wondered how white tie and pocket square might look, so intend to buy those items and try it. If we don't think it's suitable I'll go back to black.

I haven't researched whether that might break any sartorial rules but I'm more interested in whether we think it looks better than black tie when we are seen/photographed together.

If you like the look I wouldn't bother too much about other peoples opinions.

Edited by D&N
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cardiffmatch said:

Hello all,

We will be heading on our first Cunard cruise on 17th July on the QE and I am looking for help with the gala night dress code for two men.

We have two gala nights - “Ice White” and “Masquerade”.

We have happily dressed up in black tie on other cruise lines in the past. I understand that Cunard is generally ‘dressier’.

My questions for you as experienced Cunard cruisers are:

1) Are either of these dress codes an excuse to break out the white tie (tails etc) for the first time in years, or would straightforward black tie be more the way to go for either or both evenings?

2) If we did go with white tie, would we be the only ones?

For context - special occasion holiday, staying in Queens Grill and no issue with luggage limit for flights.

Any thoughts appreciated, or indeed suggestions for alternative approaches to the Ice White dress code!

Huge thanks

BM

It’s one Voyage…. Go for it…

4 hours ago, cardiffmatch said:

2) If we did go with white tie, would we be the only ones.

I’ve worn my tails on numerous occasions on QE2, QV and QE (our QM2 trips have always involved flight weight limits.). On only one occasion have I been the only one. 

You may, or may not, be alone. Is that a problem?

There was a thread a while ago on the subject. Do a search on the forum on “white tie” or “tails” and you’ll find a few photos.

White tie and tails was standard kit in First Class on the express trans- Atlantic, trans-Pacific and mailships up until The Second World War and like most everything after it, standards went out the window.  They didn't even dress on QUEEN ELIZABETH's maiden voyage in 1946... "dinner jackets" and dark suits. 

I was sorry that only the maitre d' in Princess Grill on QV recently wore white tie and tails on formal nights... it really should be assistants, too. And I think there was one Gentleman passenger in white tie and tails. I just hope he didn't share a lift with the chap in the baseball cap and leather jacket.... 

Of course, if you wear white tie and tails in the evening, you are obliged to wear jacket and tie (or cravat) at luncheon, too. You cannot pick and choose your adherance to standards, now can you?

29 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Of course, if you wear white tie and tails in the evening, you are obliged to wear jacket and tie (or cravat) at luncheon, too. You cannot pick and choose your adherance to standards, now can you?

The example being set, no matter how small, can also be followed by those who wish to exceed the basic minimum published dress code.  One was given a suggested code improvement by @D&N which was accepted with thanks.

Any small decision made to improve the dress code by an individual must be applauded, without the need for others to snipe or decry, especially by those who may have absolutely no wish to participate in making any sartorial improvements.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

6 hours ago, techteach said:

@PORT ROYAL I guess I read the comment about adherence to standards by @WantedOnVoyage in a different way. I read it as humor. A cravat at lunch? I think he was joking.

Whilst I don't think white tie is an 'improvement' on any Cunard dress code as it's just a personal choice to interpret  formal wear in that way, I do see chaps wearing jacket and cravats around the ship during the day. Very few, I admit but they do exist especially on cooler water cruises. 🙂

So, universal secondary education, free health service at the point of delivery, a universal benefits system, lots of new housing, etc. all pale into insignificance beside people wearing a different colour tie for dinner. I would have thought the other things suggested a major rise in standards after WW2. If nothing else, it has enabled far more of us to live long enough to have the leisure to enjoy Cunard.

• Like 1

When the "ice white" theme was announced, I thought it was stupid because glacial ice is BLUE. I decided to be scientifically correct, and packed a white beaded top with an aqua long skirt I already had in my "cruise closet." On board, the theme was "ice white" and we were encouraged to wear white, silver, or blue. I was not the only one who had opted for blue, and I saw a lot of silver in addition to white. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

When the "ice white" theme was announced, I thought it was stupid because glacial ice is BLUE.

We just painted our family room and picked the color “White Ice”. Indeed there are tones of blue and I might just sport some blue next summer in Alaska.