BIG SHIP, Little ship

dam64

We have cruised on smaller ships Jewel class years ago but since the newer big builds came along we loved them and only booked them! Now we are looking at the Pearl never been on her and the ports are amazing! Will we be disappointed going back to an older ship? Has anyone experienced this?

We are fans of larger, newer ships in general, on all the lines we sail.

But sailed a 15 year old ship with 2K passengers in January (not NCL) & had a wonderful time!

As long as the ship is in good shape (as they typically are) & there are lots of fun things to do, we are pretty happy!

Edited by KKB

I prefer the Breakaway plus ships with an OL (Encore, Bliss, Joy for now).  I like the Brewhouse (with it's associated entertainment) and the nice big buffets.  That said, I also like the smaller ships with OLs and Great Outdoors.  I've been on Pearl and Sky, and have Sun and Spirit coming up.

Started out small, Pearl and POA, then went BIG Epic, Breakaway and Escape but in a month we will be on The Jade and can't wait!

It has always been the itinerary that that we choose, but our last cruise on The Escape was determined based on the adult only area H2O and The Water front!

I think this one is subjective.  Things I love about the bigger ships:  the waterfront, the observation lounge, better specialty dining and the less formal Savor and Taste for breakfast.  

But I also love the smaller ships for the great outdoors, the wow of the multi deck atrium, the spinnaker during the day, and the ease of not having to make a reservation for every show.

So it’s just what is more important to you.  If the best parts of your cruise were dinners at Ocean Blue, dueling pianos and Syd Normans, if your kids need water slides and go karts, you probably are going to be unhappy back on the small ships.  If the best parts of your cruise are the ports, trivia, the cocktails and being at sea, then the small ships will be fine.

We sailed Pearl last autumn (Canada/Maine) and we had a good time.  First time in all those ports, so it was a good experience.  The ship was just below full capacity.

Thoughts:

Very similar to the Jewel, which we had sailed before, so directions were easy.

Main theater has "Opera Boxes" on each side, very good if you get in the first 2 rows.  But it doesn't have any large screens for videos, needs a technology update.

Our room  seemed to be the same size as on the bigger ships.

Spinnaker has that retro mid century modern feeling.  It can double as a smaller version of the OL during the day, but no comfy couches.

Five cruises in 22, and 2 so far this year...Pearl music entertainment was below par.     

No "name" broadway shows.  The best singer was one of the backups to the main 3.  Of course there will be different singers now.

The staff was tired, and glad they didn't have to do the Bermuda run for 6 weeks.  Many that we talked to didn't like the Bermuda run.

Food seemed about the same, but all specialty restaurants are smaller in size.

Aft deck for buffet and drinks all day is a nice place in good weather.

La Cucina was open to use for buffet breakfast and lunch. Also used as a mid-day gathering place for cards, etc.

Pool and surrounding decks above were fine, typical amounts of chairs and space.

my 1st ncl cruise was on  he pearl to alaska in 2010. we were in what was then referred to as a mini suite. i think  you'll have a great time regardless of the ship. since then we've been most of their line. havent been on the breakaway, joy,escape, encore , or prima -visa- i freely admitted that prima has priced me out of the market. 

ive posted before, i sail for the itinerary, not the specific ship.

i would not hesitate to sail the pearl again if she was going to where i wanted to sail

3 hours ago, LloydJr said:

...ships with an OL...

Observation lounge?

1 hour ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

...So it’s just what is more important to you...

We have a winner. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. you can enjoy one type more, or both types equally. It's really up to you, and it sounds like you'd have a great time either way.