Knitting Basics activity

15 hours ago, lissie said:

We are doing a cruise which includes Sydney NS next month. Someone in Nova Scotia has a mobile yarn shop which is on the wharf when the ships come - what a brilliant way to monetize your yarn stash problem! 

Tell me more! 

14 hours ago, erdufylla said:

Oh man, that makes me want to go on another New England / Eastern Canada cruise again! It’s not quite at the port, but I love the yarn shop in Ketchikan, AK that’s right off Creek Street. I bought some lovely hand-dyed yarn by a woman based in Sitka last time I was there. 🙂

I think I bought some of her yarn as well! I also really liked the yarn shop in Juneau that's on the second floor of an older building. 

The shop that sells yarn in Skagway was closed when I was there last year, sadly, or I would have been 4 for 4 (I also went to Baaad Anna's in Vancouver before boarding.) 

18 hours ago, lissie said:

We are doing a cruise which includes Sydney NS next month. Someone in Nova Scotia has a mobile yarn shop which is on the wharf when the ships come - what a brilliant way to monetize your yarn stash problem! 

I knew there was a reason I wanted to go Nova Scotia!  (Of course, have SABLE myself. . . )

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tryingtocruise said:

I knew there was a reason I wanted to go Nova Scotia!  (Of course, have SABLE myself. . . )

I mean, once you hit SABLE status, what’s the harm in adding a little more? Go big or go home. 😂 No, but seriously — I contend that crafting and collecting crafting supplies are two entirely separate, if related, hobbies. I get just as much joy from browsing and buying new yarn, pens, paper, paints, etc. as I do from actually knitting, drawing, etc. Even if they go unused for a decade or more, I’ve still already gotten a nice dopamine hit just from the process of acquiring them and adding them to my hoard. 🥰

• Like 5

On 6/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, erdufylla said:

(And yet, every time I visit a new city, I still always try and hunt down a local shop to find some unique hand-dyed yarn or fiber to add to my stash. And I refuse to feel guilty for it. I’m supporting a local industry and artist(s), and yarn is squishably easy to pack.)

That’s not adding to stash—that’s a souvenir!

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 5:07 PM, erdufylla said:

Oh man, that makes me want to go on another New England / Eastern Canada cruise again! It’s not quite at the port, but I love the yarn shop in Ketchikan, AK that’s right off Creek Street. I bought some lovely hand-dyed yarn by a woman based in Sitka last time I was there. 🙂

I love that shop in Ketchikan! Such great hand-dyed yarns and super staff! Can’t wait to visit again next month. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I think I bought some of her yarn as well! I also really liked the yarn shop in Juneau that's on the second floor of an older building. 

The shop that sells yarn in Skagway was closed when I was there last year, sadly, or I would have been 4 for 4 (I also went to Baaad Anna's in Vancouver before boarding.) 

[quickly googling Skagway yarn shops …]

6 hours ago, ALFwhoknits said:

[quickly googling Skagway yarn shops …]

The Skagway store had moved to a new location when I was there last June. I was heartbroken when I found the closed store, as I remembered it from previous visits. I'm glad I took a closer look because I saw a note on the door that showed the new location, just a bit farther along Broadway. I hope they're still there. 

I bought some beautiful yarn from the woman in Sitka on that trip. 

• Like 2

I found the tiny shop in Sitka on my cruise last fall and added more souvenirs to my StABLE. 😉

My cruise next month is made up of back-to-back Vancouver-Whittier/Whittier-Vancouver cruises so I’ll make two stops in each port—plenty of time for yarn enabling! I haven’t found any yarn shops in Whittier, which isn’t surprising given how small the town is. If anyone has tips for where to look there, please share them!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ALFwhoknits said:

I found the tiny shop in Sitka on my cruise last fall and added more souvenirs to my StABLE. 😉

My cruise next month is made up of back-to-back Vancouver-Whittier/Whittier-Vancouver cruises so I’ll make two stops in each port—plenty of time for yarn enabling! I haven’t found any yarn shops in Whittier, which isn’t surprising given how small the town is. If anyone has tips for where to look there, please share them!

A really good place to research that is on Ravelry. I bet there’s an Alaska group there that would fill you in on all the local info. 

On my first HAL cruise (1999), there were regular Arts & Crafts activities on non-port days.  We did a lot of different things - origami, making boxes our of paper, needlepoint and cross stitch.  I fell in love with HAL because of those sessions.  We had similar activities on the next three cruises, then everything stopped.  Other cruise lines would have a needlepoint or cross stitch session on non-port days, but nothing on HAL.  I thought this was a thing of the past, but am delighted to read that at least one HAL ship has someone doing Arts & Crafts activities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ALFwhoknits said:

No suggestions for Whittier, sadly, but I can HIGHLY recommend Baaad Anna's in Vancouver - they have a really lovely selection, and at least when I went, were very friendly. 

It is on the other side of the Downtown East Side (DTES) from the port, and in a slightly rundown neighbourhood, but it's a fantastic shop. (No connection, just a happy customer!)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The Skagway store had moved to a new location when I was there last June. I was heartbroken when I found the closed store, as I remembered it from previous visits. I'm glad I took a closer look because I saw a note on the door that showed the new location, just a bit farther along Broadway. I hope they're still there. 

I bought some beautiful yarn from the woman in Sitka on that trip. 

I was there at the very end of April/start of May, and they hadn't opened the new shop yet. 

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I do a lot of research before I travel. I use googlemaps to see if it's a town I can just wander in. I search for "bakery" and "ice cream" and "brewery" and "yarn shop." 

A traveler after my own heart!! I even have my hubby trained to include stops at local yarn shops in our itineraries. 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, erdufylla said:

Ooh! I was just discussing my trip to Amsterdam next summer with my Mom, and she pointed out that Stephen West’s yarn shop is there! *adds to itinerary*

I told my husband that was one of the main reasons I wanted to take a cruise out of Amsterdam.  I realize the chances of him being there a minimal but I hope he is.  He's such a nice guy.  I met him a couple of years at Vogue Knitting Live.

• Like 2