Norwegian Joy NYC to Bermuda June 18, 2023

bjtravelnews

Just off the Norwegian Joy, RT NYC/Bermuda, departing June 18, 2023.  Getting onto the ship seemed to be a much easier process this year.  We boarded on deck 7 and headed down to deck 6 to get some lunch at Savor.  Food was served quickly and was pretty good.  Nice to have those first drinks, too!   There is no formal muster drill since everyone was required to watch the safety video as part of the online check in (and several emails prior to sailing to watch it again).  We simply had to report to our assigned muster station and have our card scanned.

I am going to separate my comments into the good and bad, starting with the ship itself.  We love the casual atmosphere of Norwegian.  Despite the large number of people on board, the public spaces rarely felt so crowded that we couldn't find a seat somewhere.  The Waterfront on deck 8 is amazing.  Great views and very quiet during the day.  District Brew House is one of our favorite places on the ship.  We never seen a huge crowd there (maybe because it's tucked away in a corner).  Overall, all the staff was extremely nice and polite.  However, I could sense an underlying current that some were stressed due to serving the large number of passengers (we were close to a sell out).  We never had a bad meal on the ship.  If anything negative could be said, I would say that we get too much food at the sit-down restaurants.  I would love to have the option of smaller portions to avoid wasting so much food.  We ate at Ocean Blue and Cagney's Steakhouse.  Food was excellent at both, as was the service.  There were times that service was a bit slow at Taste and Savor, but the food was good.  Same for the Local.  The Local is also a really great place for a sit-down breakfast.  There was a great variety of food in the buffet and it was always good.   There was sometimes a wait to get into the Manhattan Room, but it wasn't a long wait.   I think this has more to do with under-staffing rather than the number of people dining. 

We had a balcony cabin.  Although the these rooms seem to be smaller than other cruise line balcony cabins, it was adequate space for the two of us.  On the other hand, our friends had 3 females in a balcony cabin and it was very tight.  Shampoo and soap are now in dispensers in the shower.  I miss having the individual bottles, but I understand the waste and extra cost associated with that.  Forewarning - the cruise line also has done away with the other extras, like lotion and the small amenity boxes.  Our top favorite place on the ship is the Observation Lounge in the front of the ship, with two-story floor to ceiling windows looking out the front of the ship.  There is a bar here (servers also walk around taking drink orders) and a Starbucks (extra cost, even for those with the beverage package).  At times, there was food served inside the main space and also along the sides leading into the main space.  On our last year's cruise on the Joy, the Observation Lounge was relatively empty.  The word must have gotten out because it was much more crowded this time.  There is always seating available on each side of the ship, leading into the main section of the Lounge.

Bermuda, as always, was beautiful.  This was our seventh trip to the island.  The people are very friendly and helpful if you need directions.  Norwegian has its own ferry to St. George, but there are also public ferries going to both St. George and Hamilton.  The buses are also very easy to navigate.  We rarely take shore excursion except for the sunset cruises.  I highly recommend a one or two day transportation pass so you don't have to deal with the complicated system of fares by zone.  The passes are good for both the ferries and buses.  We lucked out with weather.  It was beautiful and there was only a spritz of rain here and there.  For several weeks prior, we were watching the Joy from the Port Bermuda webcam and it was raining all the time.  People in Bermuda said it was the most rain they have gotten in over 100 years.  In fact, the huge amount of rain was causing issues with draining and sewage.  We are not beach people and have done Horseshoe Bay several times.  So we took the NCL ferry to St. George on Wednesday.  Thursday we took the public ferry to Hamilton, shopped a bit, then took a bus to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo.  From there, we got on the bus again to stop at the Swizzle Inn for a late lunch.  This is quite the experience and we go back every year.  We then took the bus to St. George and then the NCL ferry back to the Dockyard.  A heads up for anyone who needs to know - there is no bus service from St. George to the Dockyard.  You must take a bus to Hamilton.  From there, you can transfer to one of the buses that goes to the Dockyard or pick up the public ferry.  Friday we stuck around the Dockyard, went to the National Museum (the fort), saw the dolphins at Dolphin Quest (part of the admission to the fort, but interaction is an extra cost) and explored the Commissioner's House.  Great views from here.  We were required to be back on the ship at 2:30 for a 3:00 sail away.  We always try to be back early to avoid the long lines.  This year for the first time, we saw pier runners - those stragglers who don't get to the pier until we are ready to leave.  There were several small groups watching on deck 8 and cheering the stragglers on to "run."

Now for the not-so-good:  

Normally, rooms would be ready sometime between 2 and 3.  It's quite obvious that NCL has cut staff to the bare bones.  Our rooms were not available until after 4 PM!  Rooms on the higher floors were available first.  I was also disappointed that sail away was moved from 4 PM to 6 PM.  That meant that many people were eating dinner while the ship was pulling out of port and sailing out of the harbor.  As always, the Garden Buffet was chaotic and very busy. Despite the spaciousness, it almost always felt very crowded.  We have learned to find tables all the way back (at the front of the ship) as there seems to be more open seating there. 

We didn't even try to see the shows (we've seen Footloose and Elements previously, so not a priority for us).  But the shows were sold old almost immediately 

Dinners in the Specialty Restaurants were over the top.  However, I am very disappointed in the lack of passenger respect for the dress code.  Ocean Blue is one of the places where guests are asked to dress more formally (upscale business attire).  We even got a reminder phone call in the room about the dress requirements.  I was disappointed to see men and women in shorts and very casual clothing.  Same for the Steakhouse.  I think it takes away from the special experience of these dining venues.

Elevators were often crowded and there were teens who were playing the game of pushing all the buttons to make them stop at every floor.  They also were running up and down the stairs to push the buttons on the floors outside the elevators.  We took the stairs whenever we could. 

Everyone in our group had the same complaint about the pool area.  Chair hogs getting up early, putting their stuff on the the lounge chairs by the pool, then going to breakfast.  Even through the day, they would leave to do something else and keep their chairs "reserved" for when they came back.  The attendants at the towel exchange said it no one returns in 30 minutes, another passenger is allowed to remove the items from the chair.  They were not going to enforce the rule.  Considering how much people were drinking on the ship, this sounds like a potential for serious confrontation.  Too bad there isn't a way to reserve chairs for a two hour period - NCL could make a lot of money on that.  The tiny pools were always crowded.  Some people literally got into the pool and stayed there the entire day, having drinks brought to them.  One of my friends complained about not being able to even get into the pool.  Someone reminded her that those people who lined the edges were drinking all day and not getting out - so good chance the pool was also their bathroom!  (Some of the people in our group paid for the Vibe Beach Club passes just to avoid these issues and said it was well worth the extra cost.)

I was with a group of friends and family (we had 22 cabins).  The biggest gripe for everyone was the smoking.  Despite the no smoking policy, people were smoking all over the ship on the outside decks.  Staff did not appear to stop anyone.  People were smoking on the balconies.  The people in the cabin next to us were smoking marijuana on their balcony so often that it became hard for us to sit on our balcony.  Friends said they had the same problem. 

We used to Norwegian app to stay in touch with everyone.  While a great option without having to use internet, there were times when it didn't seem to work and we constantly had to reconnect to the ship's wifi.

I was told the Joy will be heading for some refurbishment in Jan/Feb of next year.  The ship is starting to show age and these are badly needed. 

We arrived back in NY much earlier than previous years.  By 5:00 am we were already docked.  In past years, we were able to get up just before 5 and see the lighted bridge and the beautiful NYC skyline as we pulled into the harbor. I believe the crew needs the extra time once we are docked because the ship is so short-staffed.

Bermuda - not many negative comments here.  However, I was greatly disappointed in the Dockyard.  The stores used to be open late to allow ship passengers to shop.  Everything was closed by 5:00.   Snorkel Park Beach used to be open the entire time until late at night.  The hours are now very limited.  I heard that they have opened a sister venue at Tobacco Bay, so I am guessing that's where they now concentrate their efforts.  Snorkel Park Beach was open during the day on Friday, which is nice for those who want to have some beach time, but don't want to leave the Dockyard.  We walked into the Fun Golf.  This place is heavily advertised on the ship and on the signs in the Dockyard.  Perhaps at one time it was a nice place.  However, it is now a bit run down and could use some renovations and updates.  There were some people golfing when we visited, but not many.  And most of those there were sitting on the benches and drinking.  At one time there was much more here.  Now, everything in that area looks like it either had been abandoned or was close to being abandoned.

Overall comments:

We love Norwegian Cruise Line and it's casual atmosphere.  It's great being able to eat when and where we want, as opposed to a set dining time with the same group of people every night.  While most passengers were polite, there were some very rude people.  This was especially prevalent on the elevators where some passengers would immediately hit the close door button, even though they were the only one on the elevator. 

For Bermuda - it's our favorite cruise destination out of NYC.  We love having almost three days on the island.  Despite having been there, now for the 7th time, we always find something new.  This year, we walked beyond the main tourist area in St. George and found a beautiful park.  There is so much to do on the island and we love how safe it is and easy to get around on public transportation.

We missed not stopping in Norfolk.  We were lucky to have experienced that stop last year and were disappointed it has been dropped from the itinerary (sadly, NCL should have returned the port fees we paid for Norfolk).

One comment about the Meet and Greet.  I started a roll call well over a year before sailing.  It wasn't real active, but there were 24 people signed up for the Meet and Greet.  Only two other people showed up.  It was embarrassing to me because the crew puts a lot of effort into the time and space.  I also bring a lot of gifts to hand out.  Most of them went to the crew.  PLEASE - if you sign up for a meet and greet, attend!  

We will be back again next year on the Joy, same itinerary.   If anyone has any questions about the ship or things to do in Bermuda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the review!

We sailed Joy last summer and we're doing it again in 26 days!!

We've also been  to Bermuda many times and love to sail out of NYC as we live on Long Island.

It sounds like your experience was similar to ours last summer. We had so much fun!

We didn't have crazy elevator people, but we tend to use the stairs more than most.

Also, I'm surprised by the "showing it's age" comment. Joy seemed to be in fine shape last year, but it has been a year. Lmao!!

It's only been 4 years since the last refurb and much of that time we were either shut down or they were sailing with drastically reduced capacity.

Either way, I know it's going to be a great time!

We have a sunset cruise set for day 1 in Bermuda and day 2 is Horseshoe Bay and hopefully the man o war situation is better than last summer.

I have some newbies joining so I'm trying to prepare them to avoid some of the common frustrations.

Thanks again for the review. 

• Like 1

we're set to sail in 19 days & super excited! it's mine, my DH & son's 2nd time in Bermuda but 1st time and 1st cruise for my adult step kids. How were the seas on the trip to/from the island? I worry with the rain and storm activity that the seas will be choppy and we might need some Dramamine especailly for our new cruisers. 

Thanks for the review, as I am planning this cruise for next summer with a friend. 

I noticed that many of the usual suite perks do not apply to the Joy. Any idea why that is? 

I appreciate all the information you shared! Always helpful to read about people's likes/dislikes. 

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

Also, I'm surprised by the "showing it's age" comment. Joy seemed to be in fine shape last year, but it has been a year. Lmao!!

When we cruised in March, Joy looked fine. It was apparent the crew was not keeping the ship as clean as our previous cruises on Getaway. Handrails were gross, interior windows (think around the stairwell/restaurants, not exterior) had scuff marks, and there were stains on some of the carpets. I certainly wouldn't say the ship is showing its age, but in March it was definitely not being cared for as well as it should be. Maybe that's starting to impact the ship. 

1 hour ago, bjtravelnews said:

Dinners in the Specialty Restaurants were over the top.  However, I am very disappointed in the lack of passenger respect for the dress code.  Ocean Blue is one of the places where guests are asked to dress more formally (upscale business attire).  We even got a reminder phone call in the room about the dress requirements.  I was disappointed to see men and women in shorts and very casual clothing.  Same for the Steakhouse.  I think it takes away from the special experience of these dining venues.

As the NCL board's self-appointed dress code curmudgeon, I must point out that Cagney's does not have a special dress code. Only Ocean Blue, Le Bistro, and the aft dining room do. Also folks are asked to wear a collared shirt (could be a polo, Bermuda shirt, or dress shirt), pants (jeans are fine), and closed-toed shoes.

image.png.1499ae97ecc622caf6d4a95908d2e6b3.png

This is certainly not considered upscale business attire. I suppose the below could be upscale business attire - maybe I'll bring that for my next cruise.

6366410?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharpen=1

I am quite dismayed NCL has altered their regular dining room and specialty restaurant dress code (this includes Cagney's) to include no flippy floppies. We may be opting for a lot more butler service to our room for meals than in the past.

image.png.fcc385a5599d9e8e656bdbade43d8d37.png

3 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

I highly recommend a one or two day transportation pass so you don't have to deal with the complicated system of fares by zone.  The passes are good for both the ferries and buses. 

Thank you for taking the time to report back on your experience and thoughts.    As New Yorkers, we love taking a Bermuda run from New York.

We have never looked into getting a transportation pass before.  How much was it and were did you buy it?   Our next Bermuda run is next June with extended first timer Bermuda cruisers and I am thinking this might be a good option as the first day everyone wants to go to St. George and Hamilton.

Thanks for your review. We’ve been to Bermuda several times, but not since 2019, so I’m so excited to get back there in 2 weeks. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. I’ve been seeing a definite pattern of comments about the cabins being ready pretty late. I know someone on another thread mentioned where carry-on bags can be dropped if cabins are taking a while…do you recall hearing/seeing where that is? If we just park ourselves somewhere I won’t worry about it, but if we want to walk around a lot after lunch I may want to drop off the carry-ons.

Now I’ll just sit and wait until it’s suitably close to the cruise to start my live-ish review lol (or as live as the crummy ship’s wi-fi will allow!).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

Elevators were often crowded and there were teens who were playing the game of pushing all the buttons to make them stop at every floor.  They also were running up and down the stairs to push the buttons on the floors outside the elevators. 

Thank you for a fantastic review. We will be on Escape to Bermuda for our first time in November, and I'm saving all your Bermuda tips.

The quote above is why we never travel during the summer, or other school breaks. Some adults are difficult enough to deal with, kids and teens bring it to a whole other level. Hoping for success in early November.

Cruiseny4life: Because of you, I now refer to my flip flops as flippy floppies. The first time I saw them referred to as flippy floppies I thought it was silly. Now, I call them that all the time! I have seen some colorful Crocs that would go with that suit. They would qualify as closed toe. They are a little bulky to pack, but are light weight. Dress code police might not like them though. 🤣

bjtravelnews: Thank you for the review. Sailing on Joy for the first time in September. Back to Bermuda even though we were just there in April. Looking forward to seeing Footloose while we still can, and want to see Elements again. I have only seen it on smaller ships. Thanks for the reminder about how late rooms were ready. We will be sure to pack swimwear in our carry ons. Maybe we will hang out at Spice H2O after lunch until rooms are ready. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the nice review....we sail on Joy for the first time next June to Bermuda. We love Bermuda....been there this year on the Prima. Question...you mentioned how crowded the pools are on Joy and said one would be better off getting a Vibe pass. Is there a pool in the Vibe? I didn't think there was a pool. 

6 hours ago, uneamie said:

Thanks for the nice review....we sail on Joy for the first time next June to Bermuda. We love Bermuda....been there this year on the Prima. Question...you mentioned how crowded the pools are on Joy and said one would be better off getting a Vibe pass. Is there a pool in the Vibe? I didn't think there was a pool. 

No pool in the Joy Vibe, but two hot tubs with one on each side.  They also have the water mist shower to cool you off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, acct1975 said:

we're set to sail in 19 days & super excited! it's mine, my DH & son's 2nd time in Bermuda but 1st time and 1st cruise for my adult step kids. How were the seas on the trip to/from the island? I worry with the rain and storm activity that the seas will be choppy and we might need some Dramamine especailly for our new cruisers. 

We had some rough seas on the 2nd day.  A few people in our group went down to the medical center to get the seasickness pills.  They had sea bands, but they weren't helping.  We went through pretty rough storms on Saturday and the ocean was even rougher.  It always seems that the trip back is alot worse, but I think the ship is moving faster because we only take one day to get home versus two days to get to Bermuda.  Have a great trip.  Hopefully the rain will stay away!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hmmcminn said:

Thanks for the review.  I’m glad you had a good time.  I’ve got 42 days to go before my cruise on the Joy!

Do you happen to have any of the dailies to post?  

Thank you. 

Sorry - I thought I kept them, but can't find them.  If I do, I will post.

21 hours ago, acct1975 said:

We did have some rough sailing on the second sea day and then again on the last full day.  There were storms around and the Saturday the rain was so heavy we couldn't even see beyond the balcony.  Definitely take some Dramamine if there is any chance of sea sickness.  Ginger candies are also a good bet.  I have also heard some people recommend green apples and sucking on lemons.  We are lucky that no matter how rough the seas, we don't get sick.  But others in our group had problems.

Have a safe and relaxing trip!

21 hours ago, shaunmn said:

Thanks for the review, as I am planning this cruise for next summer with a friend. 

I noticed that many of the usual suite perks do not apply to the Joy. Any idea why that is? 

I appreciate all the information you shared! Always helpful to read about people's likes/dislikes. 

The perks for rooms on the Joy may change.  When the ship goes into refurbishment, rumors are that they will be putting in rooms along the side areas of the Observation Lounge that will be a special category.  Not Haven, but higher than suite class.  No one on the ship would confirm this, however.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for taking the time to report back on your experience and thoughts.    As New Yorkers, we love taking a Bermuda run from New York.

We have never looked into getting a transportation pass before.  How much was it and were did you buy it?   Our next Bermuda run is next June with extended first timer Bermuda cruisers and I am thinking this might be a good option as the first day everyone wants to go to St. George and Hamilton.

Currently, the adult fare for a one day pass is $19.00, two days 31,50 and three days $44.00. The best way to get the passes is to go to the Visitor's Information Center in the Dockyard.  When you get off the ship. turn right down the sidewalks (where the taxis and minibuses are waiting).  Straight ahead is an octagonal glass walled building.  That's the Visitor's Center.  They can also answer any questions you may have.   Here is the link to the information about transportation on the island:  https://www.gov.bm/bus-fares.   IMO, you don't need more than a two day pass.  Remember that NCL has their own free ferry to St. George (the running times are listed in your Freestyle Daily.)  Just a reminder that the only direct route between St. George and the dockyard is the ferry.  Otherwise you must take a bus to Hamilton and transfer in town to one of the buses that go to the dockyard.  Buses run about every 20 to 30 minutes, so it's not that long of a wait.

17 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Thanks for your review. We’ve been to Bermuda several times, but not since 2019, so I’m so excited to get back there in 2 weeks. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. I’ve been seeing a definite pattern of comments about the cabins being ready pretty late. I know someone on another thread mentioned where carry-on bags can be dropped if cabins are taking a while…do you recall hearing/seeing where that is? If we just park ourselves somewhere I won’t worry about it, but if we want to walk around a lot after lunch I may want to drop off the carry-ons.

Now I’ll just sit and wait until it’s suitably close to the cruise to start my live-ish review lol (or as live as the crummy ship’s wi-fi will allow!).

We took our carry-ons with us,  I don't remember anyone mentioning a place where they could be stored.  You will board on deck 7.  To avoid the crowds in the buffet, walk down one flight and go to Taste or Savor.  Great to have a nice sit-down lunch to relax before sail away (which is now 6, rather than 4).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RB9643 said:

Thank you for a fantastic review. We will be on Escape to Bermuda for our first time in November, and I'm saving all your Bermuda tips.

The quote above is why we never travel during the summer, or other school breaks. Some adults are difficult enough to deal with, kids and teens bring it to a whole other level. Hoping for success in early November.

We were on the Escape a few years ago to Bermuda.  It's a beautiful ship.  No Observation Lounge or race cars,  But they do have the amazing grotto in Spice H2O.  Also - don't miss the Choir of Man show.  It is amazing!

9 hours ago, uneamie said:

No pool in Vibe, but a great hot tub!  My friends said they spend a lot of time in there.

• Like 1

For everyone who commented about the Joy starting to show it's age:  Here are some of the very noticeable things.  Treads coming up on the edge of the stairs (tripping hazard).  Carpets in some areas looking a bit worn.  Ceiling tiles starting to come down in a few places.  Chairs in the Observation lounge with broken legs (passengers must be really hard on these!).  One of the stairwells in the aft had a broken glass (probably a recent incident, though).  Perhaps because of the reduced staff, it just had a different "feel" (as if it really was an older ship), compared to the previous year, and to other NCL ships we have sailed.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

We took our carry-ons with us,  I don't remember anyone mentioning a place where they could be stored.  You will board on deck 7.  To avoid the crowds in the buffet, walk down one flight and go to Taste or Savor.  Great to have a nice sit-down lunch to relax before sail away (which is now 6, rather than 4).

Oh yes, MDR lunch is always my preference. For our February Getaway cruise, we had just moved and were kind of a disaster with getting organized and packed and getting out of the house in the morning, so we got to the ship too late for MDR. Sounds stupid but it screwed the whole first few hours of the cruise for us…ended up doing O’Sheehan’s because we want nothing to do with the buffet upon embarkation. Watched everyone around us getting their food even if they ordered after us, and finally found out our waiter never bothered to make sure our food came out; then they closed for muster, so we got no food. They just shouldn’t have sat us if they knew it was cutting it too close. I wouldn’t care if I couldn’t eat because I certainly have enough chub to survive a few hours lol, but you leave my 4-year-old hungry and crying and I get pretty grumpy 😐 (fortunately I had a couple little snacks in our carry-on for him). I’ve spent the last two weeks telling the family we will be packed 100% at least 24 hours before embarkation and up and out early enough to get our darn MDR lunch this time! 🙃

• Like 3

22 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

Thanks for the review!

We sailed Joy last summer and we're doing it again in 26 days!!

We've also been  to Bermuda many times and love to sail out of NYC as we live on Long Island.

It sounds like your experience was similar to ours last summer. We had so much fun!

We didn't have crazy elevator people, but we tend to use the stairs more than most.

It's only been 4 years since the last refurb and much of that time we were either shut down or they were sailing with drastically reduced capacity.

Either way, I know it's going to be a great time!

We have a sunset cruise set for day 1 in Bermuda and day 2 is Horseshoe Bay and hopefully the man o war situation is better than last summer.

I have some newbies joining so I'm trying to prepare them to avoid some of the common frustrations.

Thanks again for the review. 

Have a great time on your cruise!  People in our group who went to Horseshoe Bay did not see any Man-o-War.  However, one of our friends did the Catamaran Snorkel on the pink boat and said they saw a Man-O-War. So they are around.   Just a heads up - The people who own Snorkel Park Beach Club opened a venue at Tobacco Bay.  We talked to some who went there and they said it was nice.  Take the ferry to St. George and get a mini-bus right at the docks.  I believe it's $5 pp each way.

As for the signs of aging for the Joy, it is definitely more "worn" than last year (we do the same itinerary every year and will be back on the Joy next June).

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

Just off the Norwegian Joy, RT NYC/Bermuda, departing June 18, 2023.  Getting onto the ship seemed to be a much easier process this year.  We boarded on deck 7 and headed down to deck 6 to get some lunch at Savor.  Food was served quickly and was pretty good.  Nice to have those first drinks, too!   There is no formal muster drill since everyone was required to watch the safety video as part of the online check in (and several emails prior to sailing to watch it again).  We simply had to report to our assigned muster station and have our card scanned.

I am going to separate my comments into the good and bad, starting with the ship itself.  We love the casual atmosphere of Norwegian.  Despite the large number of people on board, the public spaces rarely felt so crowded that we couldn't find a seat somewhere.  The Waterfront on deck 8 is amazing.  Great views and very quiet during the day.  District Brew House is one of our favorite places on the ship.  We never seen a huge crowd there (maybe because it's tucked away in a corner).  Overall, all the staff was extremely nice and polite.  However, I could sense an underlying current that some were stressed due to serving the large number of passengers (we were close to a sell out).  We never had a bad meal on the ship.  If anything negative could be said, I would say that we get too much food at the sit-down restaurants.  I would love to have the option of smaller portions to avoid wasting so much food.  We ate at Ocean Blue and Cagney's Steakhouse.  Food was excellent at both, as was the service.  There were times that service was a bit slow at Taste and Savor, but the food was good.  Same for the Local.  The Local is also a really great place for a sit-down breakfast.  There was a great variety of food in the buffet and it was always good.   There was sometimes a wait to get into the Manhattan Room, but it wasn't a long wait.   I think this has more to do with under-staffing rather than the number of people dining. 

We had a balcony cabin.  Although the these rooms seem to be smaller than other cruise line balcony cabins, it was adequate space for the two of us.  On the other hand, our friends had 3 females in a balcony cabin and it was very tight.  Shampoo and soap are now in dispensers in the shower.  I miss having the individual bottles, but I understand the waste and extra cost associated with that.  Forewarning - the cruise line also has done away with the other extras, like lotion and the small amenity boxes.  Our top favorite place on the ship is the Observation Lounge in the front of the ship, with two-story floor to ceiling windows looking out the front of the ship.  There is a bar here (servers also walk around taking drink orders) and a Starbucks (extra cost, even for those with the beverage package).  At times, there was food served inside the main space and also along the sides leading into the main space.  On our last year's cruise on the Joy, the Observation Lounge was relatively empty.  The word must have gotten out because it was much more crowded this time.  There is always seating available on each side of the ship, leading into the main section of the Lounge.

Bermuda, as always, was beautiful.  This was our seventh trip to the island.  The people are very friendly and helpful if you need directions.  Norwegian has its own ferry to St. George, but there are also public ferries going to both St. George and Hamilton.  The buses are also very easy to navigate.  We rarely take shore excursion except for the sunset cruises.  I highly recommend a one or two day transportation pass so you don't have to deal with the complicated system of fares by zone.  The passes are good for both the ferries and buses.  We lucked out with weather.  It was beautiful and there was only a spritz of rain here and there.  For several weeks prior, we were watching the Joy from the Port Bermuda webcam and it was raining all the time.  People in Bermuda said it was the most rain they have gotten in over 100 years.  In fact, the huge amount of rain was causing issues with draining and sewage.  We are not beach people and have done Horseshoe Bay several times.  So we took the NCL ferry to St. George on Wednesday.  Thursday we took the public ferry to Hamilton, shopped a bit, then took a bus to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo.  From there, we got on the bus again to stop at the Swizzle Inn for a late lunch.  This is quite the experience and we go back every year.  We then took the bus to St. George and then the NCL ferry back to the Dockyard.  A heads up for anyone who needs to know - there is no bus service from St. George to the Dockyard.  You must take a bus to Hamilton.  From there, you can transfer to one of the buses that goes to the Dockyard or pick up the public ferry.  Friday we stuck around the Dockyard, went to the National Museum (the fort), saw the dolphins at Dolphin Quest (part of the admission to the fort, but interaction is an extra cost) and explored the Commissioner's House.  Great views from here.  We were required to be back on the ship at 2:30 for a 3:00 sail away.  We always try to be back early to avoid the long lines.  This year for the first time, we saw pier runners - those stragglers who don't get to the pier until we are ready to leave.  There were several small groups watching on deck 8 and cheering the stragglers on to "run."

Now for the not-so-good:  

Normally, rooms would be ready sometime between 2 and 3.  It's quite obvious that NCL has cut staff to the bare bones.  Our rooms were not available until after 4 PM!  Rooms on the higher floors were available first.  I was also disappointed that sail away was moved from 4 PM to 6 PM.  That meant that many people were eating dinner while the ship was pulling out of port and sailing out of the harbor.  As always, the Garden Buffet was chaotic and very busy. Despite the spaciousness, it almost always felt very crowded.  We have learned to find tables all the way back (at the front of the ship) as there seems to be more open seating there. 

We didn't even try to see the shows (we've seen Footloose and Elements previously, so not a priority for us).  But the shows were sold old almost immediately 

Elevators were often crowded and there were teens who were playing the game of pushing all the buttons to make them stop at every floor.  They also were running up and down the stairs to push the buttons on the floors outside the elevators.  We took the stairs whenever we could. 

Everyone in our group had the same complaint about the pool area.  Chair hogs getting up early, putting their stuff on the the lounge chairs by the pool, then going to breakfast.  Even through the day, they would leave to do something else and keep their chairs "reserved" for when they came back.  The attendants at the towel exchange said it no one returns in 30 minutes, another passenger is allowed to remove the items from the chair.  They were not going to enforce the rule.  Considering how much people were drinking on the ship, this sounds like a potential for serious confrontation.  Too bad there isn't a way to reserve chairs for a two hour period - NCL could make a lot of money on that.  The tiny pools were always crowded.  Some people literally got into the pool and stayed there the entire day, having drinks brought to them.  One of my friends complained about not being able to even get into the pool.  Someone reminded her that those people who lined the edges were drinking all day and not getting out - so good chance the pool was also their bathroom!  (Some of the people in our group paid for the Vibe Beach Club passes just to avoid these issues and said it was well worth the extra cost.)

I was with a group of friends and family (we had 22 cabins).  The biggest gripe for everyone was the smoking.  Despite the no smoking policy, people were smoking all over the ship on the outside decks.  Staff did not appear to stop anyone.  People were smoking on the balconies.  The people in the cabin next to us were smoking marijuana on their balcony so often that it became hard for us to sit on our balcony.  Friends said they had the same problem. 

We used to Norwegian app to stay in touch with everyone.  While a great option without having to use internet, there were times when it didn't seem to work and we constantly had to reconnect to the ship's wifi.

I was told the Joy will be heading for some refurbishment in Jan/Feb of next year.  The ship is starting to show age and these are badly needed. 

We arrived back in NY much earlier than previous years.  By 5:00 am we were already docked.  In past years, we were able to get up just before 5 and see the lighted bridge and the beautiful NYC skyline as we pulled into the harbor. I believe the crew needs the extra time once we are docked because the ship is so short-staffed.

Bermuda - not many negative comments here.  However, I was greatly disappointed in the Dockyard.  The stores used to be open late to allow ship passengers to shop.  Everything was closed by 5:00.   Snorkel Park Beach used to be open the entire time until late at night.  The hours are now very limited.  I heard that they have opened a sister venue at Tobacco Bay, so I am guessing that's where they now concentrate their efforts.  Snorkel Park Beach was open during the day on Friday, which is nice for those who want to have some beach time, but don't want to leave the Dockyard.  We walked into the Fun Golf.  This place is heavily advertised on the ship and on the signs in the Dockyard.  Perhaps at one time it was a nice place.  However, it is now a bit run down and could use some renovations and updates.  There were some people golfing when we visited, but not many.  And most of those there were sitting on the benches and drinking.  At one time there was much more here.  Now, everything in that area looks like it either had been abandoned or was close to being abandoned.

Overall comments:

We love Norwegian Cruise Line and it's casual atmosphere.  It's great being able to eat when and where we want, as opposed to a set dining time with the same group of people every night.  While most passengers were polite, there were some very rude people.  This was especially prevalent on the elevators where some passengers would immediately hit the close door button, even though they were the only one on the elevator. 

For Bermuda - it's our favorite cruise destination out of NYC.  We love having almost three days on the island.  Despite having been there, now for the 7th time, we always find something new.  This year, we walked beyond the main tourist area in St. George and found a beautiful park.  There is so much to do on the island and we love how safe it is and easy to get around on public transportation.

We missed not stopping in Norfolk.  We were lucky to have experienced that stop last year and were disappointed it has been dropped from the itinerary (sadly, NCL should have returned the port fees we paid for Norfolk).

One comment about the Meet and Greet.  I started a roll call well over a year before sailing.  It wasn't real active, but there were 24 people signed up for the Meet and Greet.  Only two other people showed up.  It was embarrassing to me because the crew puts a lot of effort into the time and space.  I also bring a lot of gifts to hand out.  Most of them went to the crew.  PLEASE - if you sign up for a meet and greet, attend!  

We will be back again next year on the Joy, same itinerary.   If anyone has any questions about the ship or things to do in Bermuda

We just signed up for June  - 2 - 7. Never have been on a big ship, but decided to bite the bullet and try the Joy out of NYC.  We sailed on the Dawn out of Boston in 2018, because e it was the smaller ship.  Great Cruise.  Some of your negative comments make think we should change and go out of Boston, as I use a scooter and rely on an elevator to get around not the ship.  We are booked on 12th floor, handicapped. room aft facing balcony..  Maybe there won't be too many kids on the early June cruise.

We have time to think about it.  Thanks for your review.

@salzdt schools in the tri-state are generally in session until at least the week after you booked (in NY we go until pretty much the end of June), so you shouldn’t be packed with kids then. Obviously the big ships always get kids because there’s so many activities for them, but you wouldn’t be overrun the first week in June.