Live from the NCL Spirit B2B July 5-19, 2023 (more sarcasm and grumpiness!)

YVRteacher

I guess I'm a heathen. I mostly couldn't care less about presentation in my food. I just want to to taste good. But your pictures look good, and you write the most entertaining cruise logs I've ever seen here.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Wonder if NCL will ever get the beloved Spirit back ever again?  😧

I need to take that back ... just saw on NCL.com that Spirit will be back in NCL's hands next year Oct 2024, doing Asian itineraries. 😁

• Like 3

6 hours ago, warb said:

Great Report as always.  Wow, you mentioned Tim Kaminski. Met him

on the Jewel a long time ago. Great Guy. Does anyone know where he is

now?

He retired and lives in Mazatlan.

I wrote this last night but couldn’t post it. Turns out many passengers had not made travel arrangements to get from Seward to Anchorage so there was a significant strain on WiFi last night and I couldn’t access anything.

We had a couple hours in the spa this afternoon to look out the window at the sea and the sky. I got smart and took the pillow from the room chair to the spa for some extra cushioning on the hot stone lounger. My dad was snoring but he says he doesn’t take naps.  I wrote and tried to access the internet.  

We returned to Onda for dinner (3/4 specialty meals at Onda this week; it’s that good!)

IMG_5131.thumb.jpeg.2bfbe78f9fde35a8520bd7394c50eb60.jpeg

Onda opens at 5:30 and the shows are at 7 so there is juuuuust enough time for a pre-show meal. Tonight dad had the fritto misto and I had a market salad. 

IMG_5133.thumb.jpeg.8852fa36e5aa1e7ca1bfd8ed099a78f9.jpeg

We felt like pizza so had a custom made pie with mushrooms, fresh pineapple and basil.  

IMG_5135.thumb.jpeg.38e5c87d5489eaa0b8c8bd8f835212a0.jpeg

I couldn’t resist a side of those delicious carrots.

We had dessert to go and it was waiting for us in the cabin after the show.  Maître d Luke will be on the Spirit for another six months so if  when you come on the Spirit please find him and dine in his restaurant. The level of care and kindness he has extended equals that of Kevon on the Jewel. Two incredible men and I look forward to seeing them move up with NCL (if this is what they choose.) Luke is from Goa. 

For shows, they definitely saved the best for last. Elements was spectacular tonight. What a show!  It was like Lord of the Rings and Cirque du Soleil went to Vegas and met up at the Tropicana for a delightful fling. Having Jackson Rayne as part of the show elevated Elements.

The male aerialist had a wardrobe malfunction but it didn’t stop him from being bendy and amazing. We missed the aerialist show earlier in the week and were so impressed with them tonight. Really, the whole show was impressive.

There was a long, enthusiastic standing ovation for the cast of Elements then cruise director Jerry treated us to the top ten funniest (stupidest?) questions he has been asked by passengers. Tears. I had tears of laughter!  One might think the show was over at this point but no, there was more!  The We Are Norwegian farewell song with the management team and representatives from each department was amazing.  
IMG_5136.thumb.jpeg.6f0277995031e11cf9418b41f5e03d40.jpeg

The crew received an extremely well-deserved standing ovation from the passengers. This was a very special last show and farewell and the energy was electric.  Crew lined the hallways and corridors on both deck 7and 8 and passengers continued clapping and extending words of gratitude and praise as they left the theatre. What a night!

Dad wasn’t ready for bed so we had dessert (butterscotch budino and tiramisu) before heading to Magnums to listen to Valentyna sing and play.  She heads home to Ukraine tomorrow.  She has a lot of fans on this cruise.

I mentioned the wardrobe malfunction during the show.  I had my own wardrobe malfunction today.  I have a linen sleeveless black tunic that has six buttons down the front. The buttons are (well, were) white and I didn’t like the way they looked yet didn’t have time to find buttons in Vancouver (where does one buy buttons in Vancouver??) so in what I thought was a moment of genius I used a Sharpie and carefully coloured all the buttons black. It’s now the end of the day and I have six black circles on my forearms and white buttons on my tunic. 

The people in the cabin next to ours are very sick. The husband and the wife have terrible coughs and sniffles.  How do I know this? The walls are thin!  I hope the room fumigating team swoops in before new passengers inhabit that room tomorrow. I put a towel down on the floor next to the door like we were trained to do in fires when we were kids to try to keep the germs out. They are really sick!

Today’s drink tally

In addition to the Sail and Sustain Mixology class we did the Margarita tasting. Do these  drinks count?

IMG_5124.thumb.jpeg.cf0f28e22bffffc8b182448a9c0398e8.jpeg

Dad

3 beers

1 Amaretto

Yvonne

1 Painkiller

1 Rum and Coke

1 Palermo Old Fashioned

1 Amaretto

1 French Raspberry

Here’s an example of the exceptional service on the Spirit:

When we went to Magnum’s to listen to Valentyna I didn’t look at the menu; I just ordered a French Raspberry.  When the bar server returned with our drinks she apologized for taking so long (it wasn’t long at all and there was no need for an apology) because she had to go to Henry’s Pub to get the French Raspberry since Magnum’s doesn’t have Chambord. On other ships they would have said “we don’t have that at this bar.” On this ship, someone went above and beyond to get a drink.

Night time off the balcony photo

IMG_5139.thumb.jpeg.e54eb590f48fda7da1dc7792bf35d563.jpeg

• Like 17

This is the letter B2B guests received. Very sensible procedures. Since we are staying in the same cabin I was able to pick up our new drink cards/room keys last night. 

As you can see, the person who made the In Transit stickers couldn’t just choose one font. Oh no. These stickers call for three fonts.

IMG_5142.thumb.jpeg.91876318b28faa5755d99b78888a4df1.jpeg

IMG_5147.thumb.jpeg.d969adebe2ae28eeb7b4621a32135ca7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

This is the letter B2B guests received. Very sensible procedures. Since we are staying in the same cabin I was able to pick up our new drink cards/room keys last night. 

As you can see, the person who made the In Transit stickers couldn’t just choose one font. Oh no. These stickers call for three fonts.

IMG_5142.thumb.jpeg.91876318b28faa5755d99b78888a4df1.jpeg

IMG_5147.thumb.jpeg.d969adebe2ae28eeb7b4621a32135ca7.jpeg

Receiving those is the absolute highlight of a B2B.  Enjoy!!!

(I feel like I know you)

• Like 3

It's been so much fun reading this, I've been wondering about doing one on my next cruise. But I don't have Dad along to provide all that colorful content. I could regale everyone with the witty repertoire from my wife, but it might go beyond PG. She just couldn't keep her hands off me on the last cruise. I know, it's a horrible curse I have to live with.

Okay, okay, I admit it. It's the other way around.

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Here’s an example of the exceptional service on the Spirit:

When we went to Magnum’s to listen to Valentyna I didn’t look at the menu; I just ordered a French Raspberry.  When the bar server returned with our drinks she apologized for taking so long (it wasn’t long at all and there was no need for an apology) because she had to go to Henry’s Pub to get the French Raspberry since Magnum’s doesn’t have Chambord. On other ships they would have said “we don’t have that at this bar.” On this ship, someone went above and beyond to get a drink.

I'm so glad to hear you are having a wonderful cruise!  Was that Cheryyl (I might have the spelling wrong but I don't think it was Cheryl) or was it Jane? Cheryyl went all the way to Henry's Pub to get me a Matador.  In either case, they were wonderful. Do you know who will be replacing Valentyna? 

We also loved Onda. Have you had a chance to go to Taste for dinner?

Sorry about your Cagney's experience earlier in the week for dinner.  I'm hoping you can get closer to Hubbard tomorrow.

• Like 1

From your cabin pictures it looks like you are in a side facing Penthouse suite on deck 10, category SH.  NCL's web descriptions for those cabins distinctly leaves out that they get butler and concierge services, only listing them for the forward and aft facing suites.  Could you verify with the concierge that all SH suites have full suite perks rather than they are giving them to you as a VIP.

Edit: After a bit more looking I did find mention that SH suites do get butler and concierge services. It just seems NCL left it out in several places. 

Edited by Até

2 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Receiving those is the absolute highlight of a B2B.  Enjoy!!!

(I feel like I know you)

Isn’t it the best feeling? Almost as good as walking down the hallway and seeing the suitcases all packed up and you don’t need to pack a darned thing!

• Haha 2

I am thinking Jewel B2B next June. I know you do NSN since you live in Vancouver. Considering I have my own grouchy, forgetting kind of guy, what’s your thinking on which way for us??? Mary

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:40 AM, YVRteacher said:

We just did Sail and Sustain Mixology so I apologize in advance for all babbling, typos and grammatical errors. My brain is full of booze!

We are having the best sea day!

We laughed all the way through cake decorating, thanks to Cruise Director Jerry! This guy could have a career as a stand up comic! Thank you @Seas2mountains for the recommendation! The last time we saw a cake decorating this good was with cruise director Soozie (who now works for NCL corporate in Florida) comedian Tim Kaminski and pianist/singer/king of sarcasm (my hero) Jim Badger.  

Our cake makers today are lead pastry chef Shirley, Cruise Next Manager Stephanie and (pro?) Black Forest cake maker/Cruise Director Jerry.  There was whipped cream squirted into mouths (including that of the videographer!) tossed cherries flying through the air, cake doused in kirsch,  bites of cake stuffed in mouths,   chocolate shavings sampled by the handfuls (by both Jerry and the kids) and, to top it off, a triple cake tossing contest in which entire cakes were thrown into the air, flipped and caught. Picture the Olympic diving event but with Black Forest Cake.  Jerry pulled off the elusive double flip and the crowd went wild.
IMG_5141.thumb.jpeg.b3d8f63a017ea9e0347e72cc2bbd43c5.jpeg

If you are on the Spirit or any other ship with Jerry, clear your calendar so as not to miss cake decorating.

Sail and Sustain Mixology was so much fun!

IMG_5113.thumb.jpeg.ebb3916895a1de1b930420b59461a70e.jpeg

Each ship does it differently and today we had the Spirit’s dream team:

Jocelyn 

Froilan

Rustan

Kurt (head bartender)

Christine (assistant beverage manager)

IMG_5116.thumb.jpeg.041370e218cbc003745e3911d4cf8e25.jpeg

They did a choreographed cocktail mixing presentation with the 4 bartenders all making a different drink at the same time.  

Christine and Kurt did the teaching.  There were 3 passengers (all Canadian and all of us are B2B) and these talented bartenders kept us laughing and informed.  What a lively event! My dad asked me if we get to do this again next week and was thrilled to find out we do. 

Today my favourite was Cafe Replay.  All the drinks were well-made and Christine convinced us to come to the afternoon Margarita tasting in Henry’s Pub. Note: by convinced I mean asked once and we said yes right away! More time with Christine, Kurt, Froilan and Ruston? Yes please! (Jocelyn went to tend the bar at The Local.) I don’t know what makes the drinks so good on the Spirit.  Happiness?  Very likely.  I’ll write more about our overall experience at the end of our cruise next week but will confirm what fans of the Spirit already know: cruising on the Spirit is what cruising is meant to be. I’m so glad we get to do another week on board this beautiful ship with her incredible people.

YAY you saw Jocelyn!!!!!! if you see her again tell her Daniel says hi!!!

• Like 1

PS, I love your reviews.  Just the right amount of humor, pictures, sarcasm, grumpiness and description of the day.   Most of all I am glad you have this time with your Dad!  You two are defiantly the type of cruisers I hope to come across in the future.  

• Like 7

17 hours ago, omahabob said:

I guess I'm a heathen. I mostly couldn't care less about presentation in my food. I just want to to taste good. But your pictures look good, and you write the most entertaining cruise logs I've ever seen here.

What?  I CAN NOT have my peas touch my potatoes.  This is critical in presentation. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

What?  I CAN NOT have my peas touch my potatoes.  This is critical in presentation. 😉

Well, obviously, common sense would still have to apply. Besides, it affects the taste. 😀

Edited by omahabob
  • Haha 2