Island P Northern Europe Ju 27 Jy 25 live

Waynetor

10 hours ago, salabc said:

thanks again for all information can please advise the times of  the shows in the theater ?

We got off Island P.  one week ago.  All of the shows except one were at 7:30 and 9:30.  A lot of the seats were occupied by 7:15, with people reading books until they dimmed the house lights to start the show.

Tallinn, Estonia intro

Tallinn, Estonia is located on the shore of the Gulf of Finland, 80km south of Helsinki, Finland, east of Stockholm, Sweden and west of St. Petersburg, Russia.  Tallinn's Old Town is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.  The Old town is merely 500m from the pier.  The old town has lots of cobblestone paving.

Tallinn is a major Baltic port and Estonia's capital city, with population around 0,43 million (metro over 0,54 million.  The city is among the most popular ports of call on Northern European cruise itineraries.

Tallinn One Cruise Port is located near the beautiful Old Town.  The new terminal was finished in July 2021. 

Tallinn Passenger Port is among the busiest Baltic cruise destinations.  In 2016, the port handled a total of 271 cruise ship calls and around 474,000 passengers.  In 2017, the cruise port had scheduled 314 ship calls and handled over 0,5 million tourists.  In 2018, the cruise port handled 341 ship calls and around 565,000 passengers - a record year based on pre-booked berths and estimated passenger number.

City Tours and Shore Excursions

Kiek in de Kok: the translation of the name is “Peek into the Kitchen.” The cannon tower is 38m tall and its name came after a joke by Medieval guards who thought they would see through the chimneys of the houses right into the kitchens.

Tallinn City Tour: the city tours are in double deck colourful buses.  There is available audio in ten different languages.  You can choose between three lines (blue, green and red) with different routes.

Estonian History Museum: located in the Great Guild Hall.

Oleviste Church and Tower: the St. Olav’s Church dates back to 13th century.  It used to be the world’s tallest building for the period 1549 -1625.  Its spire is 159m.

Estonian Maritime Museum: it is located in the Fat Margaret cannon tower.  You can explore the maritime history of Estonia displayed over four floors.

Bastion Tunnels: it used to be a part of the tunnel system for defense.  It was built during the Swedish rule, in the 1600s.

Tallinna Raekoja Plats, This historic square has served as a marketplace since the eleventh century and features a pharmacy that has been operating since 1422.

Aleksander Nevski Katedraali  The main Russian Orthodox cathedral in Estonia.  

Peapiiskopi Kirik  Located on top of Cathedral Hill, this historic church has served as a burial place for noble families since the 13th century.

Dominican Monastery Claustrum - The oldest buildings in the old town

Danish King's Garden  The park, that is the birthplace of the Danish Flag – independent tour recommended time 1 – 2 hour

Tallinna Raekoda – town hall - The oldest surviving town hall in Northern Europe.

First mentioned in 1322, the building history of the Town Hall goes even further back to the second half of the 13th century.  The management of the city worked in the Town Hall until 1970.  Today the Town Hall functions as the ceremonial building of the city government.

Patkuli Viewing Platform - Patkuli viewing platform is situated in one of the most ancient parts of Tallinn. It has fairytale views of the Old Town and its towers and walls, all the way down to the port.  The stairway leading up to the platform was constructed in 1903.  There are 157 steps connecting Toompea to the town below, with the stairway coming out in Toompark by the Shnelli pond.

Tallinn, Estonia – our day

A good mix of sun and cloud with a few showers thrown in and temps around 17C / 63F

Shuttle to old town was available for 6E one way or 10E return trip.

I walked to the old town and spent about 3 hours there.  Another very busy camera day.  The streets are cobblestone, in places the sidewalk is flat but there are no cut-outs at street corners – defiantly no good for wheelchairs but could be alright for strollers.  Parts of the old town are on a hill so the is some extra effort needed.  I did find a public washroom but apparently the several people prior to me did not know how to flush.  Many buildings have signs on them with descriptions including in English.  I saw several groups of walking tours.  Several of the major buildings had a small entrance fee such as 2E.

There was an area with a lot of shops and a square with outdoor dinning.  

The modern downtown Tallinn has several vey large, modern office buildings.

There was an AIDA ship docked next to us – never saw anyone on the ship all the time I was onboard.  A large MSC also docked here after us.  I could see another ship that appeared to be around 2 miles away. 

As noted above there is one show that starts early - that is a production show.  Shows on this voyage have been close to full and those arriving close to time have little choice.

Overall we like the ship – smaller is better for us.  No condition issues of note – there were a few taps out of service and it took 5 days to fix but not a major deal.  The dinner menus have been quite good.  The only items I was not impressed with is the everyday steak and the so-called orange juice.  We have split our breakfast and lunches between dining room and buffet.  Both are basic Princess standard.  Very good service but we would like some more variety.  We have not been to the production shows, but other entertainment is very good – there seems to be music somewhere most of the evening.  I would rate the cruise director staff under average but not terrible.  People are just starting to use the outdoor pool.  I’m surprised the indoor pool area is not getting the use I would expect.  Normally it can be a bit humid on hot days, but that is not an issue on this cruise.image.thumb.jpeg.41a0cb44128bbd9527c678cd3be6cd28.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.89f48ecc6913d8c25def0bb75811d40c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.48244a9959b59c8e257fd42c5de0abc0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6ff4d8976ffe9f429baafdfff8371fb1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.846a00d474895933a3a0621211406d40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9af92bc21745b736644f597c579d386a.jpeg

image.jpeg.a7424bc43ccaea51b9b6e26a002d815f.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm loving reading this @Waynetor - especially since we were supposed to visit some of these ports last summer but got Covid onboard Sky and had to isolate for Stockholm, Tallinn, Visby and Gdynia 😞Thank you for taking the time to report - I look forward to the next instalment!

Btw that Tallinn excursion "Kiek in de Kok" sounds painful 😄 

Not too bad a day today at sea but continuing to be bit cool.  Mostly sunny but the cool breeze made sitting outside less than ideal for most people.  Waves are a couple feet but can't feel any movement on the ship. Captain noted on his update that tomorrow should be mostly sunny and getting up to 20C / 68F so improving.

We attended the Most travelled passenger lunch today.  As usual it was an excellent meal in Sabatini's.

App were Black Tiger Prawns and Papaya Salpicon or a fancy mixed salad. Main was a Halibut/Lobster combo, Chateaubriand or a veggie meal based on a Stuffed baked Tomato.  We both had the Pawns and Chateaubriand. There was also an excellent desert and bottomless wine glasses.  Very enjoyable.  One couple we talked to had arranged for the Chef's Table diner tonight before they knew about the lunch so they would have had quite the day.  The Loyalty/Sales person attend our table and did the welcome - it was his first luncheon.  He noted that he believes Princess is working on a new loyalty pgm but had no detail/timeline.  He was asked about joining with other lines and doubted anything would be done with that except possibly with Seaborn but no that was not official in any way.  Everyone at our table expressed a desire for smaller ships.  He briefly noted there are a lot of sales including staying on ship after our booking but noted anyone doing that would be responsible for air change fee. The prior Captain Circle rep was also at the lunch at another table so I did not get a chance to talk to her.  I'm sure she is restricted in what she can say about the changes in that kind of environment.   

Besides the twice a day general trivia there have been several special ones.  Today was the Beatles, yesterday there was Motown and previous included ABBA.   

Tonight was a formal night but very mixed dressed - nothing overly casual.  There was a production show - we passed and went to the Majority rule game. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6b665b159541e51bdeeaa4e7c97d24fe.jpeg

Edited by Waynetor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You've got my attention ! 😀

Oh noez!!! I might not be special anymore!!!  (/me thinking back to the thread where somebody effectively wanted ship security called on any passengers crashing the elite/platinum HHs)

That being said, Princess's loyalty program has always bugged me in that if you do a lot of 1 or 2 nighters on inside cabins, you rack up credits fast compared to people that do 15-30+ day cruises in the suites. IMHO, Princess likely recognizes this and will move more towards a Celebrity style program where length and category are taken into consideration.

I've never heard of a cruise where a port was skipped and later added.  Well we came close.   The Captain and the pilot made 3 attempts this morning to dock but the winds were higher than predicated and eventually the decision was made to head back out to sea.   Visby needs a protected pier.

I had a map that a walking tour used and planed to follow that with some diversions and more time in the Botanical garden - would have been nice to see.  

I managed a couple photos as we moved away form the port area but the sun was rising right in line over the town so lousy photos. 

Had to feel sorry for the excursion desk people - they spent yesterday selling new excursions for Visby and then today reserving the sales. 

There were 2 captain circle parties tonight and will be same tomorrow night.  It was held in the Explores lounge and was full.  From opening up the lounge to end of 'party' it was only a half hour.  The Cruise director,  the sales/loyalty person and the captain spoke (he talked about the new ships in 2024 and 2025), the top 3 who all attended the same time as us got their photos done (no gift of any kind) and then 3 draws for champagne.  

The # of days for the top 3 were 1,214 (70 voyages), 1,470 (127 voyages), and 2,520 (120 voyages).  1 and 3 were from Australia and #2 was from Mississauga which is on the west border of Toronto. 

There are 495 Blue (first time) passengers 598 platinum, and 422 elite. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7f2362006a2c2728ea53a4ce841f6b38.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0afa0efc048f4f8f39acab41e626feda.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c4effc74b97798a55ca8df326fdc6cbc.jpeg

image.jpeg.d3751e54364a0a4005616ce4d1c6187f.jpeg

• Like 1

Riga Latvia Jy 8 Sat intro

Average Jy high temp 19C, Max 23C, avg monthly rain 76 mm - 3”

English is becoming more of a second language, especially among the younger generation.

The capital of Latvia, Riga is well known for its beautiful Art Nouveau architecture that is considered one of the finest examples in Europe.  The historic city is filled with tourist attractions including some UNESCO world heritage sites.  The city features many great restaurants and has a vibrant nightlife scene.  Major attractions include the Open Air Museum, Riga Zoo, Nativity Cathedral, and Riga Motor Museum among others.

The port of Riga is located in the Gulf of Riga, on the Baltic Sea, at the mouth of the Daugava River.  The historic center of Riga, the largest city in Latvia, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The city played an important role in trade in Viking times.  It is now one of the cultural capitals of Europe.

Port Riga is Latvia's principal port and largest city (population around 650,000, metro area over 1 million), and also among Northern Europe's major financial and economic centers.  The Port is on Daugava River, about 15 km (10 mi) from Riga Gulf.  About half of all Latvian jobs are in Riga.  The city generates over 50% of the country's GDP and handles ~50% of all exports.  The largest exporters are in the industries of IT technologies and applications, wood products, food and beverage manufacturing, transportation, metallurgy, pharmaceuticals.  The cities cross- roads locations between western Europe and the huge eastern markets have always been, and continues to be one of Riga’s attractions for business activities. 

Annually, RIga is visited by approx. 2.3 million tourists.

Both domestic and foreign tourists are attracted by the active nightlife and diverse cuisine options.  Southern Bridge (2008-opened) over Daugava River was the largest construction project in the Baltic states.  With building cost EUR 815+ million, the Bridge was constructed specifically to reduce downtown's traffic congestion.

In 2022 the "Riga RoPax Terminal" project was announced for constructing a new passenger terminal serving both cruise vessels and ferries scheduled for completion in 2025.  The new facility will include a modern building, green spaces, restaurants, bars and cafes.

The city offers several ways to explore its sites.  There is the traditional hop on, hop off bus service that includes historic areas as well as the old town.  Several companies offer guided walking tours of various time lengths and inclusions.  Another option is a 50-minute sight seeing tour along the Daugava River and Riga City Canal on board an eco-friendly boat seeing the most popular sights of the historic city center, including the Freedom Monument and Latvian National Theatre.  Board the boat at the pier next to the Freedom Monument on the Bastion Hill (Bastejkalns.  The boats are not accessible for wheelchair users.

Sites to see include:

Town Hall Square: there you will see a replica of the statue of the Patron Saint of Riga, Roland, the town hall and the House of Blackheads.  The square is most beautiful around Christmas.

House of Blackheads: This house was the meeting point of merchants and sailors for several centuries. Now it hosts many events and preserves the cultural and historical heritage of the city.  It exhibits a collection of silverware and vessels.  In its cellars there is an exhibition on the history of the brotherhood of Black Heads.

Freedom Monument: famous landmark with a lot of symbols.  It honours soldiers killed during the Latvian War of Independence (1918–1920).  Originally each star represented a Latvian religion (Lutheran, Catholic and Orthodox).  Standing 43m (141ft) high, the monument’s granite base is topped with a copper figure of Liberty lifting three gilded stars.  There are four levels, with 56 sculptures depicting Latvian history and culture.  An inscription at the base of the monument reads, “For the Fatherland and Freedom.” During Soviet time, each time represented a Baltic country and the woman was Mother Russia.  Freedom Monument dates from 1935 was entirely financed by public donations. 

Riga Central Market: grand market where you can buy almost everything.  Savour local produce and traditional dishes.

Powder Tower: a relic that remained from the medieval defensive system in Riga.  Currently, it is a part of the Military Museum.

Three Brothers:  are three buildings that date back in the 15, 17, and 18 centuries.  They are the oldest stone building in Riga.  One of the buildings is the home of the Museum of Architecture.  The name of the complex originates from a legend that three brothers built these houses.

St. Peter’s Church: located in the Old Town.  The most amazing part is the tower where you will have a viewpoint overlooking the city at the top of the bell tower of this medieval Gothic-style church built in 1209.  Exhibitions are presented there.

The Cathedral Church of Saint Mary, is the Evangelical Lutheran in Riga.  The cathedral is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Latvia, and is featured in or the subject of paintings, photographs and television travelogues.  Like all of the oldest churches of the city, it is known for its weathercock.  The church is commonly called the Dome Cathedral, a tautology as the word 'Dome' comes from the German Dom meaning 'cathedral’.  The church was built near the River Daugava in 1211.  It is considered the largest medieval church in the Baltic states.  It has undergone many modifications in the course of its history.  Religious services were prohibited during the Soviet occupation from 1939 to 1989, and the cathedral was used as a concert hall.  Several concerts and exhibitions are presented in this cathedral. You can attend performances featuring the unique sound of the cathedral organ.

See also St James's Cathedral is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Riga.  The cathedral is dedicated to Saint James the Greater.  The building is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Old Riga and lies directly opposite the House of the Livonian Noble Corporation, the meeting place of Latvia's parliament the Saeima.

The Latvian National Museum of Art was completely renovated in 2016.  It presents a permanent exhibition of works by Latvian artists from the 19th and 20th centuries.  The free app “Mākslas muzejs” can serve as an interactive guide during your visit (offered in English)

Riga Art Nouveau Centre is dedicated to Art Nouveau presents interactive exhibitions as well as rooms furnished and decorated in the Art Nouveau style.  The house was built in 1903.

Holland America had a ship here in the 5th and the next ship (Oceania) will be on the 19th.

Today was the nicest day so far on this voyage as far as weather.  Mostly summer and around 19C / 66F.  Lots of people were enjoying the sun before we set sail right on time at 4pm.

Riga - our day - Once again, I toured the old area by myself for a few hours.  Coming off the ship there is a very busy roadway, but there are stairs up to an overpass so you do not cross that roadway.  The walkway along the river and the area surrounding the old town including the long park are easily accessible.  Once into the core of the old town the roads are cobblestone.

When I got to the Freedom Tower there was a large police presence, a military band and other soldiers in formation.  After a few minutes a limo and another car pulled up to the roped off area and outstepped the President of Latvia.  He was given a wreath which then laid at the monument before quickly leaving.  Today was his first day as President. 

It was an enjoyable walk around the old town – took about 200 photos including some from the ship of the modern downtown building.  The older churches had an admittance fee.  There were a good number of older buildings being used as souvenir shops as well there was a good range of restaurants and outdoor cafes.  Heading back to the ship the last major building I was passing was the Riga Castle.  It had a Latvia flag and a European Union flag.  It also had high security all around with a military band and a group of soldiers in formation.  I waited a bit to see what was going on - after a few minutes about 10 people came out of the building and lined up out front and they were shortly joined by a couple (man/women).  After a couple more minutes a limo and security detail pulled up and someone special got out and greeting were made with all those waiting.  Not sure who this was.  image.thumb.jpeg.d191237074c04b21856d46a9a9107cf7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7444b92e8832a0a84d3452d74ae62284.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.02905d9a033bfde1ef8a859fad8e98c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b67897df9e97c103a024e920d385be15.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5025a278fe4c4f73dfccd19352614c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1067684fb58ef454f11744a326bac6e2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a0af6e3b14e6a7c024d8686a74912104.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.03d203c79606a12bc2ae8cf707a5ea33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.15a77bef07eac85bd37598ff5a240218.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b2289bbd79361e29272e40f75e69601c.jpeg

image.jpeg.49bcbdbe1dae53e81e03198e4a0266b8.jpeg

• Like 1

According to the AP, "Latvia's Foreign Minister and an Ardent Advocate of Ukraine, is Sworn in as the New President."  https://apnews.com/article/latvia-president-edgars-rinkevics-dac5294de31f985ab2ff447b8aea629b

The man in your photo with the flowers is "Edgars Rinkevics, who had served as Latvia’s top diplomat since 2011, took the oath of office in ceremonies at an extraordinary session of the Parliament, or Saeima, in the capital, Riga. He succeeds Egils Levits, who didn’t seek reelection."  The older man in the photo may be exiting President Egils Levits.  So your photos are amazing and historic.  By the way, Rinkevics is the first gay President of Latvia.  

• Like 2

JY 9 Sun Klaipeda, Lithuania intro

Klaipeda is Lithuania's largest and only seaport that can accommodate modern mega-ships and cruise ships.  It is located on the west coast of Lithuania, at the mouth of the Akmena-Dane River, as the river meets the Baltic Sea.  The port area is ice-free all year round.  It has a historic Old Town with German and Scandinavian architecture styles, cobbled streets, and a clock tower.  The different statues and sculptures throughout the city have QR codes located near the statues giving you access to explanations of their origin.  It also has a modern downtown with shops, restaurants, and art galleries making it a well-suited destination for a variety of travelers.  The streets in the old town are heavily cobblestoned.

From the cruise pier it is only about 800m (half mile) to the old town.

From Klaipeda, cruise passengers can visit Palanga, a seaside resort with a long pier.

There are 11 ships scheduled for this port this month.  The others are mainly smaller luxury ships or European based ships. 

The average high temp in July is 23C (73F) with 83mm (about 3.5 in) of rain during the month. 

When ships are in port on the pier there is a mobile info center kiosk providing maps.  There is also a permanent tourist info center located a short walk away at the Theatre Sq

uare.  It opens at 9am during the week and 10am on weekends.  Besides the free info there are some souvenirs, stamps, post cars bike rentals, excursion tickets internet and city bus tickets.  

Explore Klaipeda on foot.  Although the city has been ravaged by the Soviets with nearly all of its churches destroyed, the Old Town and 19th-century New Town are still picturesque.  The city is unique as it has been developed by two cultures, its population consisting of Lithuanians and Germans for a long time.  The key sights include the Theater Square, Castle remains and Tiltų street in the Old Town, as well as Liepų street in the 19th century New Town.  More somber sights are the Museum of Lithuania Minor and the Soviet-destroyed Lutheran Cemetery, both testaments to how the Klaipėda of the old was destroyed in the Soviet genocide of the 1940s and repopulated by people from elsewhere.  You may also shop at the Akropolis mall.

Some other places to see include:

Castle of Klaipėda & Museum - The castle was built by the Livonian Order in 1252 and abandoned after the Seven Years' War.  Part of the castle was destroyed in the 1770s.  In its ramparts, exhibitions about the history of the castle, the history of the city and the events surrounding the Second World War are on display.  It is closed on Sunday and Monday but still can be seen from the outside.

Museum of the History of Lithuania Minor

Located in an old Baroque-style house, this museum presents the history of the region since prehistoric times.

Museum of the History of Lithuania Minor

Located in an old Baroque-style house, this museum presents the history of the region since prehistoric times.

Cold War Museum

A museum and the remains of the USSR military base and nuclear missile launch silos can be found at this site on the outskirts of the city.

Clock and Watch Museum

Presents the history of clocks and watchmaking and its evolution over time. Closed on Monday.

Other options outside Klaipėda

Go to Palanga.  Take a walk from the ship to the Klaipėda bus station and take one of the every-15-minutes buses to Palanga, the Lithuania's "summer capital" and primary resort.  There, you can visit not only the long sandy (often crowded) beaches, but also the Lithuania's top Amber museum with a collection of about 28,000 pieces of amber jewelry, pieces of amber with prehistoric animals/insects, and more.  Nearly 4,500 pieces are on display and several of which have insects caught in amber.  Jewelry and amber sculptures are also on display.  The museum is located in a former Tiškevičius family palace and surrounded by one of the Lithuania's prettiest parks.  A walk to the end of the sea bridge is another must to the visitors of its resort, while architecture buffs may search for pretty wooden villas from the 19th-century era when count Tiškevičius has established the resort.

Explore the northern seaside of Klaipeda.  First, go through the New Town to Klaipėda University.  From there, you can take an hourly city bus (number 24) to the northern suburbs.  In these suburbs, there are several resorts, such as the historic Giruliai resort which also has the remains of *** Germany defensive battery on the beach.  The main natural landmark is the Olando Kepurė cliff near the northern end of the bus route.

Curonian Spit, a UNESCO Natural Site, is a peninsula of sand dunes that runs from the old town along the Baltic Sea.  To get there, you can take a short passenger ferry ride from the Old Ferry Terminal.  There are trails and a huge beach.

Some excursions -

1. Traverse the Curonian Spit.  Skip Klaipėda itself altogether and go to explore the Lithuania's (and maybe Eastern Baltic's) most famous natural sights, the "Lithuanian Sahara" of traveling sand dunes.  It is possible to do on your own, as the passenger ferry to the Curonian Spit is frequent and it stops next to the main cruise port.  Once on the Spit, there are hourly buses that traverse the entire peninsula.  Key stops include the Nagliai Nature reserve (you need to ask the driver to let you off there), Juodkrantė resort and Nida resort with its breathtaking Parnidis dune.  A short hike on dunes in Nagliai reserve and some time in Nida would likely be the best-spent time in the Curonian Spit, although to feel less time pressure you may also go directly to Nida and just spend several hours there.  Nida is 50 km south of Klaipėda, so plan your time to get back accordingly.

2. Spend the day in Smiltynė at the northernmost tip of the Curonian spit where the ferry from Klaipėda Old Town arrives.  After crossing the lagoon by ferry, you should not board any bus, but instead, explore the area on foot.  Officially it is part in Klaipėda, though those forested shores seem a world apart. Smiltynė includes Klaipėda's best beaches, some old buildings and the Sea Museum, an aquarium with its dolphinarium (with regular dolphin shows) sea animal zoo and Lithuanian shipping exhibits.  To get there, you can take the passenger ferry from the Old Ferry Terminal.  The museum is 1.8 km (bit over a mile) from where the ferry will leave you.  A little tourist train is also available to reach the museum.  You may also watch modern ships coming and going into the Klaipėda port from the breakwater.

JY 9 Sun Klaipeda, Lithuania our day

Today was the nicest yet for weather.  Mostly sunny – except a brief early afternoon shower.  Temp was around 21C -70F. 

I’m going to be leaving Freda on the ship for some upcoming longer excursions so today made it a short time into the od time.  There is not much to see at the old fort.  There was a large square in the area with logs of artistic vendors.  A small river splits the old and new town and it was a very popular area with locals.  All in all, not much of a city to enjoy for a viewing walk.  The river had a large clipper ship that was being used as a permanent restaurant. 

Across from where we were docked was a long island. There was a ferry going there every 20 minutes or so and it was always full – The island had a trail along the shore and I could see some of the passengers getting off and biking and the rest just seemed to disappear into the woods – not sure where they were going.

In front of where we docked was industrial shipping including a large number of oil tanks.

I did hear some good reports for those that took tours to the castle and the amber museum.

We had our cabin carpet steam cleaned today – never had a request to do that before.

Tomorrow is the last formal night for segment 1 – As elite members we get the option to have canapes delivered in the afternoon.  The choices are – Cured salmon, cucumber, lemon gel; Beef crostini, caramelized onion, horseradish aioli; Sesame tuna tataki or Mozzarella, tomato, chutney on ciabatta.   We could choose one or more of the options.

Woodside lady - thanks for the additional info for yesterday

image.thumb.jpeg.c863eb719b9957f6e889dd1600dff7f0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.722fa840153bc89b30c364f5d23e0072.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c0e71aa6ab407faeded977871c2096d4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7cc6f9b2c4a698870d3d5881b53c8e7e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6cd11a0eef368c96b16e182af9a1c80e.jpeg

image.jpeg.a471fab8b4fc628cd3e3e2cf5ea142e2.jpeg

On July 11 and 12 the NATO Summit will be held in Vilnuis, Lithuania.  It is the most high profile event Lituania has hosted since it joined NATO.  Ukraine will again request a Membership Action Plan.  In 2008 both Georgia and Ukraine requested the same thing but NATO's response was that they "may become members at some undetermined time without any specifics of how to get there". So Russia attacked Georgia four months later and in 2014 attacked Ukraine, starting with Crimea and then the Donbas Region.  

The Baltic countries are among the top contributors of military aid to Ukraine on a per capita basis.  They strongly support offering Ukraine a roadmap to NATO membership.  Dalia Grybauskaite, Lithuania's former President, says "The accession process [for Ukraine] must start, because waiting for a post-war situation allows Putin to never ever finish this war.  If we really care about the security of NATO terroritiy, Ukraine inevitably needs to be part of it."  

Ukrainian President Voldoymyr Solansky has been invited to speak at the NATO summit.  

• Like 1

JY 10 Mon Gdansk Poland intro

For Gdansk cruise ships have to dock in the industrial port town of Gdynia, located 22km to the north of Gdańsk.  There are currently no terminal facilities in Gdynia and the cruise dock is shared with other commercial dock operations, so most cruise lines offer a shuttle bus to Gdynia centre.  Taxis are usually available to take people further afield.  A taxi from Gdynia port to Gdansk will be around 20 Euro or the equivalent Polish currency.

Most cruise ships (including all large-sized) dock at Gdynia port's Francuskie Pier, located in the port's industrial area.  Francuskie Pier is at approx 30-min walking distance to the town's Main Railway Station.  Train travel to Gdansk is about 40-min.  From Gdansk Main Railway Station to Dluga Street (Old Town) is about 15-min walking.  Trains run about every 15 minutes.

During World War II Gdansk was highly destroyed.  However, if you visit Gdansk now, you wouldn’t know it because the city was reconstructed brick by brick back to its pre-war beauty.  On arrival in Gdańsk you will be mesmerized by the wonderfully restored city, as if you were transported back to the era of the Hanseatic league.

What not to miss

To get a flavour of this ancient city, follow the royal route from the Green Gate on the banks of Motlawa, which takes in Long Street and Long Market with its town houses spanning 400 years, the Main Town Hall, Arthur's court and the representative symbol of Gdansk- the Neptune Fountain.  The most charming street in Gdansk is St. Mary Street which delights its' visitors with its lively atmosphere, quaint shops and lovely terraced buildings.

St. Mary's Church – often called the "Crown of Gdansk" is the world's largest brick temple.  Its' mighty walls and towers rise high above the city skyline and the beautiful view of the city can be enjoyed from the galleries of the 82m high tower.  With its 30 decorated chapels, polyptych, floors with ancient tombstones and the northern transept holds a 15th century astronomical clock, this medieval church can accommodate even 25,000 worshippers and took 159 years to build.  It was lovingly restored after being partially damaged during the WWII.  Its' deceivingly plan exterior belies a bright, spacious interior with large windows creating at the same time magical atmosphere that makes the visit an unforgettable experience.

Long Lane (Ulica Długa) - The main street of the city of Gdańsk since the Middle Ages, it bisects the old part of the city and links the Golden Gate at one end with the Green Gate at the other.  Along the entire length of the Long Lane you can find souvenir shops, art galleries, restaurants, cafes and bars, along with beautiful buildings and open squares with fountains and statues.  The Long Market (Długi Targ), the former royal route into the city, is located at the Green Gate. (Złota Brama)

Gdańsk Town Hall - One of the most impressive buildings on the Long Market, flanked by multi-coloured Dutch style merchant’s houses.  In front of the Town Hall, you can admire the Neptune Statue dating to 1549 and its fountain built in 1633.

Artus’ Court -Once a meeting place of knights and merchants and now home to a branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Gdańsk.

Long Embankment along the Motława River - Lined with lovely brick buildings, apartments and moored vessels.  You can find many little shops and restaurants here.

Żuraw– medieval port crane- One of the most famous symbols of Gdańsk.  It now houses an exhibition space dedicated to the maritime trade of the city.

Granaries - On the opposite bank of the river one can admire the former granaries of the city from the 17th and 18th Centuries, destroyed largely in the Second World War, but restored to their former glory and now home to the National Maritime Museum.  As part of the exhibitions, you can visit Soldek, the first ocean going vessel put into operation in the history of the Polish shipyard industry, built in Gdańsk by Polish engineers.

The other hotspot of the Tri City area is Sopot, the famous beach resort established back in 1824.  In the beginning of the 19th century, Sopot was a Spa town for the rich people of Gdańsk.  Nowadays it’s a popular weekend retreat for city folk looking to relax on the sand.

It houses the longest pier in Northern Europe, and an international song festival is held here each August.  On a nice summer day, you wouldn’t believe you were in Poland whilst relaxing on the promenade in a deck chair.

Main Town Other: Highland Gate (Brama Wyżynna), Golden Gate, Long Market, Artus’ Court, Neptune’s Fountain, St Catherine’s Church, Polish Post Office

Travel Tips

The currency in Poland is the Polish Zloty.  Euro often accepted.

Weather - Cruise ships tend to visit Gdańsk in the summer months (May-September) when the weather is mild and temperate, although the city can experience heat waves which bring warm weather and thunderstorms.  July’s average temperature is 18 Celsius, with recent years seeing a peak temperature in June of 34 Celsius.

Safety whilst ashore - Gdańsk is relatively safe to visit, although with the increase in tourism numbers there have been increases in petty crime and notably pick pockets, so pay extra care and attention in crowded areas.

Key highlights of Gdansk

National Museum

Department of Ancient Art

Green Gate

Department of Modern Art

Ethnography Department

Gdańsk Photography Gallery

Historical Museum

Main Town Hall

Artus’ Court

Uphagen’s House

Amber Museum

Museum of the Polish Post

Museum of Tower Clocks

Wisłoujście Fortress

Gdynia-

Kościuszko Square

Gdynia Aquarium

Emigration Museum

Museum Ship ORP Błyskawica

JY 10 Mon Gdansk Poland our day

I had the Gadansk on your own tour today.  The description on Princess was 10:30 – 4:30 but the ticket showed us to arrive in the meeting spot at 9am.  I showed up then and they conferred the tour would be leaving soon.  It took an hour to get to Gadansk.  The greater Gadansk city is made up of 3 cities starting at Gdynia, then Sopot and then the core city of Gdansk.  Sopot is known for its beaches and huge pier.

The weather in Gdansk was sunny until clouds started rolling in near our departure time with a temp around 21C /70F – great for walking around. 

There were 6 buses leaving the same time for this tour.  Everyone on the bus was given a map of the Gdansk old town.  The bus guide walked the group to just inside the Green Gate were he gave us instructions meet back there at 2:15.  There were lots of interesting buildings, monuments, statues and narrow streets.  St. Catherines Church had been visited by the Polish pope and had a section of the church set aside to commemorate.  The ground floor was free to tour but there was a fee to go up the tower which offers a good view of the area.  Some areas were cobblestoned but some areas had smooth pavement- much better than our previous ports.  There were a couple tourist offices and I saw 1 washroom building.

There were a huge range of eating/drinking options, both indoor and outdoor.

The whole area was extremely clean – I did not see any garbage on the streets and only saw 2 people smoking.

Today was our 47th wedding anniversary, I saw a copy in the old town in their wedding outfits and that brought back great memories.   

There was a fountain area that had jets of water that would start and stop shooting up jets of water - several kids where running through – one girl around 5 years old begged her mom to do it, when she did she got soaked and started sopping heavily – had to feel sorry for the mother.  Then a dog owner allowed his dog into the foundation – the dog enjoyed trying to catch a drink.

Everyone on the tour was back on time.  The guide took us to a look out and talked for 15 minutes and then we headed back – traffic was heavier so it took about a half hour longer but we were still back an hour before we sailed.

Our guide talked pretty much non-stop both ways giving Info on the places we were passing in the morning and Polish history on the way back – very interesting.

When we left the port there was at least a couple dozen taxis available.

Tonight was the last formal night and included the surf and turf with an extra $10 charge for seconds of either item.  I had to ask for the lobster butter to be brought out from the kitchen. 

image.thumb.jpeg.267911ef7559f7b40dd661f0d43f1fff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7278772199cb533f9c1d3d457d52cf9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b19762ab5ec9793809d3e671f036b7e6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c8b0b66f25a57a55014b33df46f02e3a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6609790383143c45da9480fd9693b16d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bc3b60dc84417637ea4211b326484371.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.373ac766a8a93c3ecb90262262fe519f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6d5c57090cabdcc3095c2a30192d31a9.jpeg

image.jpeg.4e0b728c28211516181ad7fb1984ca4d.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

Well, our anniversary did not end well.  When doing a transfer from bed to wheelchair, the brake was not on tight and the car moved and Freda ended on the floor with a leg bent under her.  I get help to get hr back up and this morning she had a x-ray - showed a faint crack in ankle.  She will wear a boot for a week or so and then a second x-ray.to confirm the crack. 

Otherwise today was a very nice sea day - lots of sunshine and pleasant temp.

Most of the day we were travelling between islands that are part of Denmark.  We had a pilot board around 1:30, he was replaced around 8:30 and the 3rd pilot that will guide us into Copenhagen around 6am will change with the other pilot around 2:30.

We passed a massive wind farm - took about a half hour to sail past it.  We passed several freighters and several ferry crossing between points on the islands.  Around 8pm we sailed under the sae bridge we sailed under back near the start of the voyage.

Traditionally there is a farewell Baked Alaska parade in the dinning room on the last night, but it was skipped in our dinning room due to problem with the speaker. 

I'm told there are over 500 passengers staying on for the next voyage.  I will get a better number later.  We were given 'In-Transit' passes to use if we go ashore.  No clearance of any kind needed. . 

Captain has indicated tomorrow in Copenhagen will be a rainy day.  As we get into dusk it is already clouding over.  Just my luck as we have our first excursion planned for both of us. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3c8d3e080b07c4f0907d28ce2674295c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.41c3af0cb6da788c21b82923472935af.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f079a3176b175d5c063706158eab6a40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72d89ae33967a81c3a3a7e306b4a8b0b.jpeg .wind farm in background

image.thumb.jpeg.8dac57b8536eb512c9e302d3fbe20a3a.jpeg

image.jpeg.11fcf1067ab251a2428c1c538bbb9b95.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, Waynetor said:

Tonight was the last formal night and included the surf and turf with an extra $10 charge for seconds of either item.

This has been discussed on another thread and wondering if you can enlighten as about at least the Island situation.  Supposedly, a guest can order a surf and turf combo and NP.  However, if guest orders lobster only, they get ONE tail and have to pay for the second.  Now, it seems to me - and others - that if guest is ordering just lobster, they ought to get TWO tails before the surcharge (since they did not have a steak).  IDK about two versus one steak as perhaps the single steak is larger than when having the combo, but the tails are all similar - small - as I understand it.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Well, our anniversary did not end well.  When doing a transfer from bed to wheelchair, the brake was not on tight and the car moved and Freda ended on the floor with a leg bent under her.  I get help to get hr back up and this morning she had a x-ray - showed a faint crack in ankle.  She will wear a boot for a week or so and then a second x-ray.to confirm the crack. 

Otherwise today was a very nice sea day - lots of sunshine and pleasant temp.

Most of the day we were travelling between islands that are part of Denmark.  We had a pilot board around 1:30, he was replaced around 8:30 and the 3rd pilot that will guide us into Copenhagen around 6am will change with the other pilot around 2:30.

We passed a massive wind farm - took about a half hour to sail past it.  We passed several freighters and several ferry crossing between points on the islands.  Around 8pm we sailed under the sae bridge we sailed under back near the start of the voyage.

Traditionally there is a farewell Baked Alaska parade in the dinning room on the last night, but it was skipped in our dinning room due to problem with the speaker. 

I'm told there are over 500 passengers staying on for the next voyage.  I will get a better number later.  We were given 'In-Transit' passes to use if we go ashore.  No clearance of any kind needed. . 

Captain has indicated tomorrow in Copenhagen will be a rainy day.  As we get into dusk it is already clouding over.  Just my luck as we have our first excursion planned for both of us. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3c8d3e080b07c4f0907d28ce2674295c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.41c3af0cb6da788c21b82923472935af.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f079a3176b175d5c063706158eab6a40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72d89ae33967a81c3a3a7e306b4a8b0b.jpeg .wind farm in background

image.thumb.jpeg.8dac57b8536eb512c9e302d3fbe20a3a.jpeg

image.jpeg.11fcf1067ab251a2428c1c538bbb9b95.jpeg

Oh no!  I sure hope Freda heals quickly!

Take care.

JY 12 Wed Copenhagen Denmark intro

Denmark is consistently in the top three of the World Economic Forum's annual ranking of the happiest countries in the world.  You'll find it in your daily interaction with them.  The Danes may pay arguably the highest income tax rates n the world, but they find pleasure in other aspects of life, like their wholehearted respect for the Royal Family,

The Island P is at pier C331 at the Oceankaj port.  Most ships doing a turnaround dock here.  There are 4 terminal buildings.  Oceankaj at Nordhavn (North Port) has become the primary pier for most cruise ships.  It's long pier and new terminals are preferred for turnarounds and larger ships.  Oceankaj is 5 miles/8 km north of the city center.  The new metro line M4 opened in 2020 with a station at Orientkaj. 

City Tours and Shore Excursions

One of the most famous attractions is the 100+-year old sculpture of the Little Mermaid.  Located down the promenade from Langelinie Pier, this statue is the symbol of Copenhagen.

Christiansborg Palace Tower was built during the construction of Christiansborg Palace during 1907-1928.  The highest tower in Copenhagen is 106m tall and is 40cm higher than the City Hall Tower.  The iconic landmark is visited for its spectacular 360 degrees view of the city.  Tower has a restaurant for the visitors.

Nyhavn: here used to be Hans Christian Andersen home, a perfect place to visit, especially in the evening.  This old port area located at the eastern end of Stroget is now filled with restaurants on the sunny south-facing side.  To save money and enjoy the area like a local, buy beers at a store and take a seat along the canal.  You can also take a canal tour from here.  There are two companies operating near identical tours so check the prices for both before buying your ticket.  The first company you see will probably be the most expensive.  Canal tours can also be boarded at Christiansborg Palace which is generally less busy.

Stroget: the biggest shopping area right in the Copenhagen’s heart.  The old section is actually a collection of pedestrian streets, filled with shops, cages and restaurants that spread out from this central throughfare.  There streets are between the large squares, east in Kogens Nytorv and west in Radhuspladsen (The City Hall Square)

Tivoli Gardens: amusement park is a great place for children or for adults who enjoy playing, situated close to the City Hall.

Bakken: or Dyrehavsbakken, the oldest (426 years old) amusement park in the world

The National Museum: the largest museum that showcases Denmark's cultural history.  Explore Modern Danish History, the Renaissance, the Middle Ages, the Viking Age and the Stone Age exhibitions.

The Round Tower: the oldest observatory in function in Europe, dating since 17th century

The National Gallery of Denmark: or Statens Museum for Kunst in the biggest art museum in Denmark. Explore gorgeous art collections for the past 700 years.

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek: Carl Jacobsen, a famous brewer, founded it in 1888.

Rosenborg Castle: built by Christian IV one of the famous cultural treasures in Denmark.

Visit Carlsberg: situated in Valby, Copenhagen.  This is the first Carlsberg Brewery.  Explore the steps for making the famous Carlsberg Beer.

Vor Frelsers Kirke (Our Saviour Church) - A unique church tower climbing experience since there are stairs on the outside of the main spire.  Closed during heavy rain or wind.  Tower entry fee 65 DKK.

Christiania - this hippie squatters village on a former military site is an unusual tourist attraction if you don't mind the smell of hash and marijuana.  Down the road from Our Saviour Church.

Botanical Garden: 10 hectares, situated at the city center established in 1874.

Amalienborg Palace - this is one of several palaces around Copenhagen.  The Marble Church is nearby. It's a short walk north along the waterfront from Nyhavn.  Other palaces include Rosenborg (housing the crown jewels and with a large garden) and Christiansborg.

Take a free walking tour. You should tip your guide afterwards if it was a good experience.

Hop on/Hop buses are always present at all cruise terminals and offer 3 tours in and around Copenhagen.

Museums: the National History Museum of Denmark, the National History Museum of Denmark, Amalienborg Museum, ARKEN Museum of Modern Art, The Viking Ship Museum.

Tycho Brahe Planetarium: a family educational place with exhibitions and movies.

National Aquarium Denmark: the biggest aquarium in North Europe.

Glyptoteket Art Museum - has a collection of many masterpieces. Adult admission 125 DKK (free Tuesdays, closed Mondays). Located beside the S/E corner of Tivoli Gardens.

Danish National Museum (east of City Hall) and National Gallery (north of Rosenborg Castle) - Closed Mondays.  These two museums used to be free but no longer.

Round Tower - A unique tower with a spiral ramp to the top.

You can purchase on-line via the tourism office a Copenhagen card that entitles buyers free entry to 60 museums and attractions as well as free transport by train, bus and Metro including to and from airport plus discounts on some restaurants, care rentals and other attractions.

Denmark is not part of the EURO monetary system but most major shops give prices in both Danish kroner and in Euro.  Most major credit cards are accepted in Denmark but a surcharge or 2 – 4 percent is often added.

Denmark has the highest VAT rate in Europe – 25% on everything.

In Europe, it is common (but not expected) to round up the bill leaving a small tip (5-10%) when dining at restaurants.  Taxi drivers do not expect to be tipped though passengers typically round up to the nearest 10 DKK.

English is widely spoken.

JY 12 Wed Copenhagen Denmark - our day

As the captain predicated last night, today started out as a rainy day. 

We had a 3.5 hour easy Copenhagen tour booked for wheelchair user.  There were a couple bus loads doing the similar tour but Freda and I were given a van with a ramp all to ourselves – included driver and guide.  It could easily taken about 8 other passengers.  The guide basically asked us where we would like to go.  Being light rain the whole time we had them takes us to as many highlights as time would allow and we would do short photo stops as they guide gave us great history lessons of what we were seeing.  The first stop was for the Little Mermaid – the were several busses there,but most of the other places we went did not have bus loads of people.  The guide had a map and at the end I had her mark the route taken on it so it would help identifying all the photos taken.  The second place we went had a newer little mermaid statue that was with several other statues – they were all a more modern style where the original was based on 2 actual person – 1 for the head and 1 for the body.   We made stops at 2 royal palaces, a historical domed church and a military barrack base used for housing of current military personal – it dated back to the 1600’s.  They took us around several other areas giving us a look from the van.  Some places had cobblestone and the church was not accessible but it was great for Freda to have a chance to do something.

There was a free shuttle bus from the port to Orientkaj Metro station where tickets could be bought.

As we arrived back to the ship we had heavy rain that lasted on and off until 2:30 and then the weather turned very nice.

The area around the port is mostly land fill and the government is trying to attract large business to the area.  UNICEF had a massive building next to the port.

We were to leave at 7:30 but did not set sail until about an hour later.

We have a new captain today – Rikard Larentzen

Roughly 1,500 passengers left today and the same number boarded.

The top countries are Chile 38 passengers, UK 78, Canada 225, Australia 230, and US 1,199.

At the ‘Strikeout’ game tonight the prizes were the Princess ship coasters.  The cruise director noted that while they still have 1,000’s of them, they and the other Princess ships will not be getting anymore as the company that made them is out of business.

I asked about the charge for Surf and Turf extra items and options.  They do not allow you to order 2 streaks or 2 lobster tails instead of 1 of each without the surcharge.  Policy is policy, it does not have to make sense to be a policy.  Of course, if 2 people agreed, they could trade an item.

image.thumb.jpeg.12465a4690b554a2b6a6f95bfbdd3eca.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47ce3a58a72659205198f5597999167d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.197e4581625e39c4a4d889e712a221e8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7a8253ea1b67e4f3b331635707ec461.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d0cc6e17b15b2922f80685eff1a61d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fafb47f7422ac9050a246ce4b2af7553.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f49cfd20f0d3c64cd6d47865b55b096.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae7c907eb77848a2f9bd3bc55d99f016.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f5dabc821f5de6e7fad37ab25b0c4210.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13a0162477e034006c66055b5c273b6b.jpeg

image.jpeg.35c5927c17df4978849546f42fa4e591.jpeg

Edited by Waynetor