First Time - Royal Up Bid

Well my cruise is now showing crown loft suites for $5711 (includes gratuities) for two of us.   I was going to bid up to $5500 total price but for the extra $200 I’m getting the cabin i want.  Glad for that!

Edited by slyster

5 hours ago, slyster said:

Well my cruise is now showing crown loft suites for $5711 (includes gratuities) for two of us.   I was going to bid up to $5500 total price but for the extra $200 I’m getting the cabin i want.  Glad for that!

Good deal. What ship and date?

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Good deal. What ship and date?

Allure of seas, August 27.  I just checked and the price went up a couple of hundred dollars.  Also for those who may be interested, the aqua suite is 3699 a person.  I’m thinking that’s a good deal?  It’s only $300 more than the junior suite guarantee.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, slyster said:

Sounds like you got the upgrade that you wanted without having to bid to get it. That is always the best option if the prices line up. As for upgrade bids, we have never bid more than the minimum on any of our wins. We have gone from balcony to GS, JS to CLS and GS, and GS to CLS and OS. There was one upgrade from a JS to a CLS on Harmony where they assigned us one dead center in the back, but since there were side facing CLS still showing as available we were able to call the D+ desk and get moved to one of those.

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Sounds like you got the upgrade that you wanted without having to bid to get it. That is always the best option if the prices line up. As for upgrade bids, we have never bid more than the minimum on any of our wins. We have gone from balcony to GS, JS to CLS and GS, and GS to CLS and OS. There was one upgrade from a JS to a CLS on Harmony where they assigned us one dead center in the back, but since there were side facing CLS still showing as available we were able to call the D+ desk and get moved to one of those.

Thank you for that.  I was bidding about $500 over the minimum bid.  I am assuming chances are really low for a minimum bid, particularly for suites?  

5 minutes ago, slyster said:

Thank you for that.  I was bidding about $500 over the minimum bid.  I am assuming chances are really low for a minimum bid, particularly for suites?  

Based solely on our experience, I'm not at all certain that there is any rhyme or reason as to what level of bid gets accepted. As I said, every one of our winning bids was the absolute minimum that was allowed, and we have won more than a half dozen times with that strategy. Our eldest son and his family, on the other hand, always bid a bit higher (somewhere between minimum and half way) and have won their last four bids.

With one exception, we were always starting from either a JS or GS, and he always starts from an ocean view or promenade view. I really don't have any idea whether he would have won any of his with lower bids.

I put a bid on for a Grand Suite but when I go online to see what is available on my cruise - Oasis,   it says the ship is sold out.   I don't understand then why Royal still pushes  for people to try to upgrade, and they are,  in all suite categories.  Is this a common  practice?

4 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

I put a bid on for a Grand Suite but when I go online to see what is available on my cruise - Oasis,   it says the ship is sold out.   I don't understand then why Royal still pushes  for people to try to upgrade, and they are,  in all suite categories.  Is this a common  practice?

Yes there could be last minute cancellations.  I just got off a cruise where several folks got their flights canceled which therefore opened up those cabins for RoyalUp

5 hours ago, elizabethbp said:

I don't understand then why Royal still pushes for people to try to upgrade, and they are, in all suite categories.  Is this a common practice?

Yes, Royal Up offers are not based on available inventory. Also, the info they collect (what people are willing to bid) gets them valuable info.

We were on Quantum in Sept. and about 3 weeks before sail date, I called guest relati

ons and asked about upgrade. I moved from inside to outside big window for $150 pp. We had bid in for $175, so we had to cancell that.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am waiting on a RoyalUp bid but having second thoughts. My current cabin is a boardwalk view balcony on 11th deck quite central and I have bid on an oceanview balcony and a junior suite. Could the oceanview balcony be in a worse location? Not concerned about the suite as that would be an all round upgrade after all. I have only put minimum bids for both.

What is the latest any of you have received the RoyalUp cabin?

I only have 4 days to sail date and bid status is still saying submitted. Do I print current luggage tags?