"Live" Emerald Princess, 16-Day Hawaii, July 6th to July 22nd

LACruiser88

14 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hi @XBGuy, I see at least 2 other threads started regarding this topic with one moved to Hawaii. So far today, Wednesday at 11:20am ships time, as we have moved clocks back 2 times already, the Captain has not made any announcements regarding our scheduled stop for Maui on Monday August 14th.

Assume things are still up in the air as it is 5 days away and our first priority is getting to Hilo early for a medical emergency for a patient with an eye issue. Last announcement was we are looking at arriving Hilo 15 hours early

Thanks, @wallyj.  Yes I have seen some other threads.

From news footage that I have seen on TV, Lahaina looks completely destroyed.  That may or not be the case.  

On 8/8/2023 at 3:48 PM, LACruiser88 said:

For us, dinner is a highlight of our evening and we prefer a slow pace of service.  Our dinners were 2 to 2.5 hrs in length and we always dine at 7 pm.  We no longer attend shows.  You might want to dine at 5:30 to ensure you make it to the 7:30 show???

We thought that this cruise had the best selection of wines by the glass in Vines, since the restart.  Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the menu.  With the Premier pkg you should not have any issue enjoying very good wines.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just now, Solara said:

Just wondering how you found the condition of the Emerald?  It’s been along time since we’ve been on one of the older ships only on the Royal Class for quite a while. Any info will be appreciated!

48 minutes ago, Solara said:

Just wondering how you found the condition of the Emerald?  It’s been along time since we’ve been on one of the older ships only on the Royal Class for quite a while. Any info will be appreciated!

We found the ship to be in excellent condition.  We love the venues on the older ships more than the Royal class ships (Wheelhouse bar, Explorers Lounge, Adagio Bar).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We found the ship to be in excellent condition.  We love the venues on the older ships more than the Royal class ships (Wheelhouse bar, Explorers Lounge, Adagio Bar).

How were the beds & pillows?

1 hour ago, Solara said:

How were the beds & pillows?

The bed was very comfortable, maybe a bit soft for our preference.  As far as pillows, we always travel with our own "My Pillows."  We find cruise pillows to be too mushy for us.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The bed was very comfortable, maybe a bit soft for our preference.  As far as pillows, we always travel with our own "My Pillows."  We find cruise pillows to be too mushy for us.

Thanks!

I thought there would be previous mention of this but I don't see any. This morning at about 6 am, there was an announcement from the bridge for a passenger to contact guest services immediately. This was repeated about 20 minutes later. 

At 4:30 pm, just before sailaway, an announcement was made from the Captain that the passenger reported missing this morning had been confirmed by CCTV footage to have gone overboard in the early hours of Friday morning. Sad news.

Edited by Greyhound3
Fat fingers.

@wallyj could you post a few of the evening MDR menus.  Just curious what they look like now.  I have heard they do not have the old princess favorites and I have heard they still do have them.  We are sailing on the crown R/T Hawaii in November and am hoping they still have the old menus on the Hawaiian cruises

Thanks

Ron

6 hours ago, Ron66 said:

@wallyj could you post a few of the evening MDR menus.  Just curious what they look like now.  I have heard they do not have the old princess favorites and I have heard they still do have them.  We are sailing on the crown R/T Hawaii in November and am hoping they still have the old menus on the Hawaiian cruises

Thanks

Ron

Sorry, I do not post pictures, but for this sailing and my past sailing on the Crown in May and Sapphire in June, Princess favorites are available every evening. Shrimp Cocktail, French Onion Soup, Caesar salad, Salmon, Chicken Breast, Fettuccine as one of the Pasta dishes almost daily. I think there was a recent live from Sapphire which had menus or in her blog which the thread has a link.

Depending on the itinerary, there are usually some dishes inspired by the itinerary, such as on the Alaska trip there were some dishes you would only find on the Alaska itinerary.

Today we had a Shredded Kailua Pig in Ti Leaves, which is probably only offered on Hawaiian itineraries.

@wallyj  thank you for the response. The pics do not matter, I was really interested in the information you provided about the menus.  Thank you for letting me know that they are still offering the traditional princess favorites. I am hopeful they will be on the menu on the crown in November, as I always like the option of a Caesar salad, or the French onion soup every night.  Wishing you a wonderful time sailing for the remainder of your cruise.

Thanks,

Ron

On 8/9/2023 at 10:39 AM, XBGuy said:

Thanks, @wallyj.  Yes I have seen some other threads.

From news footage that I have seen on TV, Lahaina looks completely destroyed.  That may or not be the case.  

i live in honolulu so have seen lots and lots of video and stories from Maui...bottom line is :Lahaina is simply GONE...over 2000 buildings burned and so far 93 dead but search of ashes is only less than 5% complete as they are having to bring in a lot more cadaver dogs from mainland...in short it is HORRIBLE..

.my condo and i am sure many others in Honolulu asked people to go through their pantry and closet and donate non perishable food/clothing etc by putting it in lobby area two days ago...great idea and the lobby was pretty well full of canned foods/clothes/diapers/paper towels etc...not sure how it all gets shipped to maui but lot of maui folks lost EVERYTHING and had only what the were wearing when they fled for their lives..

they now estimate 5.5 billion to rebuild and years before it will get done...one huge problem is housing for all the construction workers that will be needed....maui already had  a severe housing shortage which of course now is even worse....the gov is talking to the hotels to try and work out getting the hotels to house people for as long as it takes....many of these hotels have been making record profits for years with room rates of $500 or more...i hope that now the big hotels will step up and not try and gouge from this disaster...many of the people who lost everthing are the very maids, bellboys etc that worked at the hotels...and of course the number of construction workers that will need a place to stay for years is huge.

Already donations are pouring into maui from all over the world as many truly love the people and place of lahaina and have many great memories from what once was.

IF you would like to and can spare please consider a donation...below is a list of vetted places to donate provided by local tv station..

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/08/09/want-help-those-devastated-by-maui-wildfires-heres-how/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 10:20 PM, Solara said:

Were you able to book the same table every night for dinner? Which dining room? Someone posted on another thread today that they could only do that in the Botticelli.  Is that true as right now my reservation is in the Da Vinci?

13 minutes ago, Solara said:

Were you able to book the same table every night for dinner? Which dining room? Someone posted on another thread today that they could only do that in the Botticelli.  Is that true as right now my reservation is in the Da Vinci?

We had the same table and servers in the Botticelli MDR for the entire cruise.  We made the request on the first night.  You should be able to request the same table/servers in any of the MDR's.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:03 PM, LACruiser88 said:

They now quarantine you in your assigned cabin.  The biggest recent threat onboard has been the Noro virus.

We are constantly using our hand sanitizer.  We use one that has no alcohol, uses organic oils and is very easy on the skin.

20230712_080011.thumb.jpg.290a80b86c519832889805808b833c7e.jpg

Thank you for posting this.  I am going to look for some.  I find the regular hand sanitizer to be really harsh, to the point of bleeding hands.  I hope it works.  🙂  Grandmaw

• Like 1