Trip Report for Apex Iceland Cruise 7/723

kwokpot

For Cruise Critic regulars you'll recognize my screen name and hopefully appreciate the contributions I make to this forum. I have the utmost respect for those posters that can write multiple dossiers about their cruise vacations and remember and document the minutiae of their experiences. If you're looking for that here you won't get it. Instead you'll get little tidbits of information about our trip experience.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Sone background. I'm Anthony and with my husband Robert we're both Native NY'ers that retired to Philadelphia 17 years ago. We're prolific travelers and this Celebrity Apex cruise will be our 104th cruise since 2000. We will actually be on a second cruise after the Apex; a 7 day Greek Islands cruise on the Royal's Odyssey of the Seas out of Civitavecchia. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 8

We're departing today, July 3rd,from JFK on KLM flying coach using frequent flyer points. 

We started off the trip in the AMEX Centurion Lounge in Terminal 4,where I enjoyed two cocktails; a Boulevardier and N Espresso Martini. 

PXL_20230703_195511240~2.jpg

PXL_20230703_203529895~2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Waiting to board our KLM flight to Amsterdam. General boarding zone 5☹️

Getting to JFK and clearing security was actually painless (we have Clear and precheck) considering we're flying on the July 4th weekend. No issues getting into the AMEX Centurion Lounge, but walking to our departure gate the line to the Delta Sky Lounge was just crazy in JFK Terminal 4!!! 

PXL_20230703_214346135~3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Before I signoff as we taxi away for our journey to Amsterdam I want to apologize for any typos that may be present on my initial posts. I created this posts after two cocktails and being Asian that's my limit! 🤪

• Haha 23

Our flight on KLM from JFK to AMS in coach was on-time on both ends and uneventful. There was good legroom for coach but the seat cushions weren't comfortable for a 7 hour flight. The other issue was the cabin temperature. It was COLD the entire flight, and I would guestimate it was about 65-66 degrees with cold air blowing and no individual adjustments. Luckily they provide blankets for every seat. The majority of the passengers were using the blankets. I was wearing a long sleeve T-shirt and a light rain jacket with a hood and I definitely needed to have the blanket wrapped all around the whole flight. 

There was a dinner meal and a savory cheese pastry for breakfast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are staying two nights at the Doubletree Hilton Amsterdam Central Hotel, using Hilton points. We planned on taking the train from the airport right to the Amsterdam Central station, and then walk about three blocks to the hotel. I had downloaded the app for the Netherlands train system and pre bought train tickets for a  9:18 train but the tickets can be used for any train. 

We deplaned and made our way through passport control which has a small line of passengers. Then off to collect our bags which happened to be the first ones on the luggage carousel!

We were almost an hour ahead of schedule so I checked the train app and there was a 8:35 train we could take, so we followed the signs to the train and made our way to the track where we boarded the train to Amsterdam Central Station.

The train was nice and quiet but there no place to store your luggage and the space between the seats aren't wide enough for luggage and your feet so we just kept them in the aisle next to our seats. Tbh it's not the most ideal setup but the ride was only 18 minutes (this train had 2 stops, there are nonstop trains that take 14 minutes) and it wasn't packed so it was all good. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Amsterdam Central Station is huge and although I knew how to get to the hotel we got turned around and exited the wrong end of the station, which caused us to walk all the way around to get to the hotel. .

We checked into the Doubletree and with a 2nd highest status Hilton our room was cleaned but not quite ready for us yet. We are currently having breakfast awaiting a call for our room to be ready. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Before I signoff as we taxi away for our journey to Amsterdam I want to apologize for any typos that may be present on my initial posts. I created this posts after two cocktails and being Asian that's my limit! 🤪

kp go ahead and blame it on the cocktails... we all understand, for sure!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 5

Looking forward to following along. We just left Amsterdam last week after our Jewel of  the Seas Arctic Circle cruise. Love the city. Have stayed at the Doubletree before, great location. 

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

kp go ahead and blame it on the cocktails... we all understand, for sure!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

I always blame my  device!  😁

Patty 

• Haha 3

After breakfast at the Doubletree hotel restaurant we had some issues getting our room which although was empty and cleaned didn't pass housekeeping inspection despite being almost 2 hours from when we were first told about the same situation. We insisted on getting our room and the Front Desk representative said there's was another room available. Ultimately the room was on a lower floor with no view but on this occasion we just wanted to get into a room so we could take a  nap. At 11:10 am we were able to get a room and we promptly took a nap.

I slept about 4 hours and then woke up, took a wonderfully long hot shower, and went out for a walk while my husband napped a bit longer. Photos of the Doubletree Hotel and some of the surrounding buildings. Oh a tiny micro car! 

PXL_20230704_192053686.MP.jpg

PXL_20230704_160935529.jpg

PXL_20230704_160634962.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20230704_160452194~2.jpg

PXL_20230704_161416979.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I went back to the room and my husband woke up and after his shower we went out at 7 to find some dinner. We decided to go to a restaurant that we've been to the last time we were in Amsterdam called Humphreys. It has a fun decor, an eclectic menu, and the pricing is prix fixe. Three courses for €37.50.

Pictured below are the entrees and desserts:

Thai chicken curry, Dover Sole(surcharge), Rubarb Compote with ice cream, tiramisu. The food was very good and generous portions. I would highly recommend it!

https://www.humphreys.nl/en/restaurants/humphreys-amsterdam

PXL_20230704_181324666.jpg

PXL_20230704_185348548.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a known fact that the Dutch are tall people. Having said that a hotel in Amsterdam isn't just for Dutch people, especially with Amsterdam being one of the top visited cities worldwide. Yet the security peephole in our hotel room is probably at 5'9" or 10";I'm 5'6" and I CANT SEE THROUGH THE SECURITY PEEPHOLE! 

https://dutchreview.com/culture/why-are-the-dutch-so-tall-answers/#:~:text=We don't know if,(5'9”).

PXL_20230704_213522853.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I went back to the room and my husband woke up and after his shower we went out at 7 to find some dinner. We decided to go to a restaurant that we've been to the last time we were in Amsterdam called Humphreys. It has a fun decor, an eclectic menu, and the pricing is prix fixe. Three courses for €37.50.

Pictured below are the entrees and desserts:

Thai chicken curry, Dover Sole(surcharge), Rubarb Compote with ice cream, tiramisu. The food was very good and generous portions. I would highly recommend it!

https://www.humphreys.nl/en/restaurants/humphreys-amsterdam

PXL_20230704_181324666.jpg

PXL_20230704_185348548.jpg

Were you able to walk to Humphreys from the Doubletree?

• Like 1