Aurora at Andalsnes

davecttr

I’ve just looked up the cruise and she doesn’t appear to have been scheduled to tender, so that’s a great shame for any wheelchair users onboard. We try to avoid cruises with tender ports as my wife cannot get off the ship. Plus it’s obviously a faff for those that can go ashore, although hopefully the waits won’t be as long as they can be on the larger ships. 

• Like 1

Rotterdam is alongside today, due in around 10am local time. As the bigger ship, its sensible that she is alongside.

I do agree that this isn't good for those in wheelchairs and should have been advertised earlier - I don't know what was shown on the my.pocruises.com but as others have said, it didn't appear to show on the main website.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Marine traffic shows Aurora tendering at Andalsnes today. I remember berthing there several years ago and there are images online of large cruise ships berthing there.

Sky Princess berthed at Andalsnes last week so they could definitely handle Aurora but if there are several ships in Andalsnes some will perhaps have to tender.  It is a shame that some of the less able people will not be able to go a shore due to having to negotiate the tenders.

Thanks, I just checked marine traffic and Rotterdam is berthed with Aurora deploying 3 tenders. For next week my P&O cruises has the Andalsnes day marked as a cruise in Romsdalsfjord with no mention of the port. I checked the port schedule and Aurora is the only ship listed for the 15th so we should be OK.

There is a dedicated tender landing jetty which is less than 300 yards from the cable car which suits me 🙂

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

P&O offer two cable car excursions at Andalsnes. A £99 one with an hours walk at the top and a £125 one with a light lunch in the restaurant at the top. With a return ticket costing £45 I will go if the weather is good and have a light lunch at the top. The £80 saving should cover that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Rotterdam is alongside today, due in around 10am local time. As the bigger ship, its sensible that she is alongside.

I do agree that this isn't good for those in wheelchairs and should have been advertised earlier - I don't know what was shown on the my.pocruises.com but as others have said, it didn't appear to show on the main website.

We were booked on that cruise until just before balance payment date and no mention of a tender port on my cruises.  I also do not remember another ship scheduled for there and I do search that, so possibly a port change for Rotterdam, though I could be wrong.

38 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Thanks, I just checked marine traffic and Rotterdam is berthed with Aurora deploying 3 tenders. For next week my P&O cruises has the Andalsnes day marked as a cruise in Romsdalsfjord with no mention of the port. I checked the port schedule and Aurora is the only ship listed for the 15th so we should be OK.

There is a dedicated tender landing jetty which is less than 300 yards from the cable car which suits me 🙂

My cruises has been discussed in similar circumstances on another thread in the last few days.  When there is scenic cruising as well as a port call scheduled, the actual port name does not appear, but the port calls had not been cancelled.  That was happening for a couple of ports on Aurora's current cruise at the start of this year.  I assume there is not enough space allocated on my cruises for the entire spiel that had been added to the system.  So just another IT problem for P&O, but one that should be addressed.

Edit

It was mentioned on the " Woo Hoo, Britannia day today" thread.  Andy had posted about it from Olden, which had disappeared from my cruises when the scenic cruising was added to it.  So people thought the port may had been axed.  All very confusing.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the weather is good a trip up on the cable car at Andalsnes is definitely worth doing. Lovely views from up top.

We were on Sky Princess last week and went for trip on Rauma Railway (you need to book well in advance).  Once we got back to port I went up on the cable car 540 NOK return.

IMG_20230626_140321.jpg

IMG_20230626_140457.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

Fortunately Aurora is the only ship in when I visit too.

23 hours ago, RaspberryCremeBrulee said:

If the weather is good a trip up on the cable car at Andalsnes is definitely worth doing. Lovely views from up top.

We were on Sky Princess last week and went for trip on Rauma Railway (you need to book well in advance).  Once we got back to port I went up on the cable car 540 NOK return.

IMG_20230626_140321.jpg

IMG_20230626_140457.jpg

20230315_121515.thumb.jpg.b1628568b3f58297c169e91dfaab0497.jpgMarch, same views, different weather!

20230315_121155.jpg

• Like 5

Correct.  We were tendered at Andalsnes on Wednesday.  It did actually say on my booking confirmation 'possible tender' so not a last minute change. 

Rotterdam arrived about 10.00 - we had passengers leaving from before 8.00 for excursions. However tender operations had to be suspended whilst she came in to dock - which caused quite a delay mid morning for Aurora passengers.  Fortunately we were able to get independent traveller tickets for the tender (after tour departures) and got on the last tender run before the hiatus.  

The gondola online says open from 10.00am but we were ashore by 9.25 to discover to our surprise that it had opened at 9.00 so we went straight up.  Lovely and quiet first thing and so easy to do independently that I can't see any advantage in booking the ship trip.  But very worthwhile trip if the visibility is good.

if anyone is doing this cruise and going to Trondheim then it's also easy to do the Heritage Museum independently too.  Only 10 minute bus ride from the centre close to the shuttle drop off at a fraction of the price.  I can give details of anyone is interested but the Museum website gives details of how to get there. 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, davecttr said:

P&O offer two cable car excursions at Andalsnes. A £99 one with an hours walk at the top and a £125 one with a light lunch in the restaurant at the top. With a return ticket costing £45 I will go if the weather is good and have a light lunch at the top. The £80 saving should cover that.

We’re on next week as well thinking of doing the same as you far cheaper doing it independently.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Correct.  We were tendered at Andalsnes on Wednesday.  It did actually say on my booking confirmation 'possible tender' so not a last minute change. 

Yes, "possible tender" was always on our booking confirmation. 

Tender tickets were issued in Andersons. We were on an afternoon excursion & there was no problem getting a ticket. 

Thoroughly enjoying the cruise & great to be back on Aurora. 

Edited by Astrajet
  • Like 3