Booked our first Viking cruise directly with Viking. Better off using a TA?

natshala

I’m a longtime X cruiser and book through a large big box TA.  They don’t book Viking so we booked directly through Viking. Thinking about future cruises, is there an advantage to booking through a TA that does book Viking? If so, how does one go about finding a TA? Any advice/comments welcome. I know we cannot mention specific TAs.

Thanks, all!

8 minutes ago, natshala said:

I’m a longtime X cruiser and book through a large big box TA.  They don’t book Viking so we booked directly through Viking. Thinking about future cruises, is there an advantage to booking through a TA that does book Viking? If so, how does one go about finding a TA? Any advice/comments welcome. I know we cannot mention specific TAs.

Thanks, all!

FWIW, I’d suggest using a TA for booking any cruise.  In my experience, many of them are able to secure the same booking for you but are able to offer on-board credits or even lower fares than what the cruise lines will offer if you book directly.  I’d ask your friends, do some on-line research, etc. to locate an agent that you like.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, natshala said:

Thanks, all!

If for no other reason, transfer your cruise booking to a TA so that you can get some free on-board credits. It won't cost you anything, won't change anything at all about your booking, but you'll get some money you can use while on the ship.

I always book directly with Viking, then transfer my booking to a TA. Should I ever have a serious issue, I suppose I could get assistance from my TA, but so far haven't had to do so.

• Like 1

My wife and I used an affiliate of a major business travel company in our northeastern state. Very good on price, and superb  when air travel is disrupted.   Here in Florida, we've used a local travel agent who is also affiliated with a large firm that does extensive planning for cruises. He handles a lot of group business.

The plus is, the Florida guy is very tuned in to all the cruise deals etc in the local market. And, we get calls along the lines of "I have 36  people going on a seven day out of San Juan for an unbelievable amount, wanna come along?"  And, he's been generous with on board credits. Viking limits the amount of OBC a travel agent can share.

I haven't seen any significant downsides. When we've dealt directly with Viking, we don't get the $500+ on board credit this guy provides.  We are working on a cruise for early 2025 or late 2024, his prices look better than Viking's advertised rates.

His prices for pre-departure airport meet and greet, transfers look good. I've long felt that Viking's (and Celebrity's, etc) prices for arrival and transfer to hotel border on highway robbery.  As with any issue, you need to examine what you actually get. We haven't had any airline disruptions on his watch yet, but our northeastern provider was superb in arranging alternative flights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, longterm said:

If for no other reason, transfer your cruise booking to a TA so that you can get some free on-board credits. It won't cost you anything, won't change anything at all about your booking, but you'll get some money you can use while on the ship.

I always book directly with Viking, then transfer my booking to a TA. Should I ever have a serious issue, I suppose I could get assistance from my TA, but so far haven't had to do so.

Just now, natshala said:

Thanks Bob P. When we booked last week we received the special $1000/stateroom from Viking. That ended, I think. Would we keep that if we transfer the booking to a TA? 

We have a Viking rep who is very knowledgeable and helpful so we book direct with her.  Later after arranging our air we transfer the booking to our favorite ta who gives us a "loyalty credit".  Both agents earn a commission and we get cash back so everyone wins, except Viking.  However they're the ones who set the rules so they must be ok with the arrangement.  

6 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

His prices for pre-departure airport meet and greet, transfers look good. I've long felt that Viking's (and Celebrity's, etc) prices for arrival and transfer to hotel border on highway robbery.  

Viking doesn't sell hotel transfers separately; they're included in the price of the cruise, so long as you're arriving or departing on the day of the cruise. For example, if you're arriving in the port city a few days early, Viking won't give you a free transfer from airport to ship, but if you *are* arriving the day of the cruise, they provide it with the cost of your cruise.

5 minutes ago, natshala said:

Thanks Bob P. When we booked last week we received the special $1000/stateroom from Viking. That ended, I think. Would we keep that if we transfer the booking to a TA? 

Whatever you booked will remain; you should of course confirm that with the TA, but when I transfer bookings to a TA, anything I've already arranged with Viking still remains after the transfer to the TA. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, longterm said:

Viking doesn't sell hotel transfers separately; they're included in the price of the cruise, so long as you're arriving or departing on the day of the cruise. For example, if you're arriving in the port city a few days early, Viking won't give you a free transfer from airport to ship, but if you *are* arriving the day of the cruise, they provide it with the cost of your cruise.

Slight correction . . .   hotel transfers are not included in the cruise price, they are included in the Viking Air price, with the condition as you said you fly in immediately and leave immediately.

The cruise price is separate and is a separate line item on the invoice.  We never take Viking Air, but often begin with it on the invoice, just to have a placeholder in case we can't get a better deal (which we always do).  You can take it off before final payment.

48 minutes ago, longterm said:

Whatever you booked will remain; you should of course confirm that with the TA, but when I transfer bookings to a TA, anything I've already arranged with Viking still remains after the transfer to the TA. 

We've done numerous transfers from Viking to our TA, right after booking with Viking.  Win/win for both parties.  Confirming that we always get everything done with Viking transferred over to the TA.

I would of course confirm all of that with Viking and your "new" TA.

1 hour ago, natshala said:

Curious what the "special" $1000 amount is from Viking?  Is that the $500 Viking Shipboard credit on the advertisement they had?

Note that when you use a TA, Viking does have a schedule for the maximum a TA is allowed to give you in OBC's and this varies by length of the cruise you book, ranging from $150 to $300 to $500 max  (pp).  The TA's don't have to give you the maximum amount.  Some do some don't.

I have heard people say their TA gives them better cruise prices than Viking does, but I've never understood why, since Viking to my knowledge doesn't let TA's discount the actual cruise price.  Would love to hear some concrete examples.  My guess is that if those TA's were found out, they might have an issue.  Maybe that has changed in 2023 where TA's can undercut the cruise price that Viking sells.  If so, would also like to hear about it!  

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Slight correction . . .   hotel transfers are not included in the cruise price,

Not true; if you do a pre or post extension, transfer IS included. If you’re going from hotel to ship and you didn’t do a pre extension, they will of course not provide a transfer. 

Edited by longterm
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, longterm said:

Not true; if you do a pre or post extension, transfer IS included. If you’re going from hotel to ship and you didn’t do a pre extension, they will of course not provide a transfer. 

Yes, and as was explained to me, and we've done this. . .   if you purchase a pre or post Extension from Viking, that transfer is part of that pre/post Extension price, not the cruise price.

Semantics.  🙂

The cruise price is still just the cruise price.   Add on's like extensions are separate line items, as is Viking Air.

1 hour ago, longterm said:

To be a bit picky here.  Hotel transfers are NOT included in the price of the cruise.  They ARE included in the price of the pre or post cruise extension and in the cost of Viking Air.  The cost of each - pre, post or air is itemized separately on our Guest Invoice.  If one does not have a pre, post or air through Viking, then one can purchase a Viking transfer IF they arrive at the airport on embarkation day or wish to go to the airport on disembarkation day

I just did this a month ago. I had used a TA in the past, but hadn't cruised since the pandemic. I couldn't find his email at first, so went to cruise compete. Several agents sent offers, and my old agency happened to have the best deal (as did a couple others). I'm low maintenance, don't expect to contact them much. Emailed them my booking number and it was transferred. $800 onboard credit 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

To be a bit picky here.  Hotel transfers are NOT included in the price of the cruise.  They ARE included in the price of the pre or post cruise extension and in the cost of Viking Air.  The cost of each - pre, post or air is itemized separately on our Guest Invoice.  If one does not have a pre, post or air through Viking, then one can purchase a Viking transfer IF they arrive at the airport on embarkation day or wish to go to the airport on disembarkation day

Another situation: We have pre & post extensions so transfers are included. But we book our own air so will have to do a transfer request.

18 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

And I wonder why I often think about leaving this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Curious what the "special" $1000 amount is from Viking?  Is that the $500 Viking Shipboard credit on the advertisement they had?

Note that when you use a TA, Viking does have a schedule for the maximum a TA is allowed to give you in OBC's and this varies by length of the cruise you book, ranging from $150 to $300 to $500 max  (pp).  The TA's don't have to give you the maximum amount.  Some do some don't.

I have heard people say their TA gives them better cruise prices than Viking does, but I've never understood why, since Viking to my knowledge doesn't let TA's discount the actual cruise price.  Would love to hear some concrete examples.  My guess is that if those TA's were found out, they might have an issue.  Maybe that has changed in 2023 where TA's can undercut the cruise price that Viking sells.  If so, would also like to hear about it!  

Kent, One can say our TA gives us a better cruise price then Viking.  Both TA cruises I booked gave us X$ off the Viking cost of the cruise in the form of a TA voucher which reduced the cruise price up front. This was in addition to the maximum allowable OBC for the length of each cruise.  If we used our TA from the git go (5 cruises) we would have been over $5,000+ (or 1 cruise fare) richer!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Kent, One can say our TA gives us a better cruise price then Viking.  Both TA cruises I booked gave us X$ off the Viking cost of the cruise in the form of a TA voucher which reduced the cruise price up front. This was in addition to the maximum allowable OBC for the length of each cruise.  If we used our TA from the git go (5 cruises) we would have been over $5,000+ (or 1 cruise fare) richer!

Really?  I'll have to look again.  I've never seen that TA voucher reducing the actual cruise price (and not the OBC).  Hmmm.  Guess I've missed out.  And we have the same agent now.

4 hours ago, natshala said:

Thanks, all!

We always book our cruises with Viking and then transfer our booking to our TA.  If we like the itinerary and if the type of stateroom we prefer is available, we will book it pretty quickly.  Our TA is 3 time zones away and is probably just getting into the office by the time we have booked it. 🙂

We like our TA very much.  She's very attentive and she has fixed quite a few problems for us with Viking and with a couple of airlines, which is no doubt very frustrating for her.    And she's right there with us when we change our plans. @Heidi13 Thanks!

Edited by millybess