Unlimited massage package anyone?

drsel

Almost all Cruise lines have unlimited alcoholic beverage packages.

These are both very popular and profitable for all the cruise lines.

So which cruise line will be a trend setter and be the first to start an unlimited massage package?

(Or maybe limit it to 1 massage per person per day)

Is this feasible, ridiculous or impossible?

What will be the likely pricing ?

Edited by drsel

• drsel changed the title to Unlimited massage package anyone?

Given that there are usually a plethora of different types of massages, not to mention duration lengths available, how could they reasonably be expected to offer unlimited massages? Not to mention the potential for muscle damage incurred by the masochists booking multiples per day.

I've had a few decent massages on ships. But they've been outnumbered by the mediocre and outright bad ones that cost twice what I pay at home.  I couldn't imagine paying a bundle in advance for unlimited. As for being a moneymaker- the beverage packages make money for the ship. The bars are supplied and staffed by the ship. The Spa is a contractor- I doubt the ship would see much money from such a package.

• Like 2

I've only ever had one massage treatment on a ship. Never again! Apart from being outrageously over priced the whole experience was ruined by the relentless up sell and pushing products. I left more stressed than when I went in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

I've only ever had one massage treatment on a ship. Never again! Apart from being outrageously over priced the whole experience was ruined by the relentless up sell and pushing products. I left more stressed than when I went in.

Which ship was that and which itinerary?

I know that employees get a big fat commission out of any spa products and alcohol packages that they sell.

Edited by drsel

17 hours ago, drsel said:

So which cruise line will be a trend setter and be the first to start an unlimited massage package?

Spa services are a concession. The cruise lines have teamed up with companies that sell some  products and services onboard their ships.  These concessions recruit, train, and employ the crewmembers within their department,meaning that it is the concessions themselves who make the decisions and set the pricing.  And this is the reason why concession staff do not receive a share in onboard  tips, but require to be tipped separately for their services.

Edited by edinburgher

14 hours ago, drsel said:

Which ship was that and which itinerary?

I know that employees get a big fat commission out of any spa products and alcohol packages that they sell.

The spa staff have quotas to meet on product sales and the more they sell, the better bookings they are offered.

The economics of spa products are completely different than alcohol. Alcohol is purchase in bulk, relatively cheaply, and resold at a huge profit. And even then, you are talking about $60-$70 per day to allow for unlimited drinks that are most likely $10-$15. 

The spa uses products and hog an hour or more of employee time and a spa room. They would have to charge much more of a premium to allow unlimited use. Even if you were to use a similar price increase to an alcohol package, you would be looking at $600-$700 a day. 

• Thanks 1