Penalty for changing cruises one month out?

We cruise mid-August however there's a possibility that I may receive a job offer in the next week or so, which is great! *fingers crossed* But if that happens, depending when my start date would be, we may or may not get to cruise.  Of course if offered, I will try to negotiate to start after the cruise but that's not guaranteed.

I'm familiar with Carnival's cancellation policy but I've never tried to cancel or change a booking this close to the cruise date.  Right now we're in the "deposit or 50%" of the penalty stage but are quickly approaching the "deposit or 75%" stage.  I really don't want to cancel because that's a ton of money lost.  If possible, I'd rather change the booking to a future cruise.

So my question is, has anyone changed to a different cruise this close to your original one?  Is that allowed, cheaper, or would the cancellation penalty still apply? I looked online but unfortunately couldn't find any answers relating to this (just info referencing full cancellations).  I do plan to call customer service this evening but I figured if anyone had experience with this, it was worth asking.  It may not even become an issue but I'm trying to plan what to do, just in case! 🙂 

Hey @iheartmarshall if you have a non-refundable fare, you may get a different answer than if your fare is refundable, but definitely worth asking.

Before calling, you should select a cruise that you would potentially take as an alternative to canceling, be sure it has a lot of availability vs near capacity and ideally not over a holiday, then make the call. Ask if they would be willing to transfer your deposit and all your payments to a new booking and give them the details of the one you selected.

I have had them agree and do the transfer and received the new confirmation while we're still on the phone. I've also had them outright say no.

The more full the cruise you need to cancel and the less full the new one are will likely factor in their response. You can ask to have it escalated to Resolution Dept if they deny it.

Technically, they don't have to accommodate you, but asking to transfer the funds directly to another cruise vs asking for FCC does make a difference. 

If they do it, you will lose any perks and pricing rate you had on the original booking and will get whatever the current deal is.

Congrats on the new job! Keep us posted on the outcome and route tou took w/Carnival if you are able to salvage the $$.

• Like 1

Since the end of the Public Health Emergency, Carnival has been much less inclined to allow transfers after the final payment date.  The previous poster gave you good advice, but I think the answer is probably going to be no.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

But my general advice would be to tell your potential new employer you can't start until X date, unless they approve you for vacation for the week of Y.  If they aren't willing to work with you on that, then I don't think working for them is going to be great.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Since the end of the Public Health Emergency, Carnival has been much less inclined to allow transfers after the final payment date.  The previous poster gave you good advice, but I think the answer is probably going to be no.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

But my general advice would be to tell your potential new employer you can't start until X date, unless they approve you for vacation for the week of Y.  If they aren't willing to work with you on that, then I don't think working for them is going to be great.  

Good answer.  I have hired employees who had vacations, family matters, etc. scheduled before they applied and I always honored them.  People have lives in addition to jobs.  If they don't let you take your pre-planned vacation you might not enjoy working there. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

I tried to do this recently just before my final payment was due and I was basically told that there’s no way to transfer my booking. I would have had to cancel, lose my deposit, and rebook at whatever the current rate is for the cruise I want to switch to. I was surprised because I’ve transferred many cruises on other cruise lines. I hope you have better luck than I did! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frank12 said:

Good answer.  I have hired employees who had vacations, family matters, etc. scheduled before they applied and I always honored them.  People have lives in addition to jobs.  If they don't let you take your pre-planned vacation you might not enjoy working there. 🤷‍♂️

However - if  I am hiring you - it is because I need you to work for me when I need you to work for me - not necessarily when it is convenient for you. Yes, life happens, but vacation plans are discretionary - not a necessity. Another good reason to purchase the appropriate cancellation insurance.

I have also had a job offer within a month or so of a vacation.  I simply let them know about it on my start date and they were fine with it.  Only downside is that it will probably be time off not paid.  Good Luck!!! 🤞 I just got the job at a place I've always wanted to work at in February!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LincolnLog said:

I tried to do this recently just before my final payment was due and I was basically told that there’s no way to transfer my booking. I would have had to cancel, lose my deposit, and rebook at whatever the current rate is for the cruise I want to switch to. I was surprised because I’ve transferred many cruises on other cruise lines. I hope you have better luck than I did! 

Because it is always considered cancel and rebook a new sailing.  The ship is still sailing.

My husband also just started a new job and told HR about the vacation when he received the offer, and they said no problem. Granted, some leaders are griping a bit that they can’t lose him out on vacation already. Buuuut, he just keeps reminding them that it was approved when he was offered the job, so he’s going. Likewise, your hiring manager might be a little miffed that you’re going out already, but big picture if they want you for the long haul, they’ll make due for week.

• Like 1

It's a slippery slope and fine line on how early in the interview process one discloses upcoming schedule plans. Telling a Recruiter during the first interview about a vacation you're taking in 3 months likely may result in no second interview, but waiting until you report for work certainly smells of deception.

Yes, empowers deserve to know. Sometimes they can wait for you, sometimes they can't. Remember, the hiring process is two-sided and has to work for both sides.