Eurodam - Is this true?

PCruzer

1 hour ago, Jananza said:

We just booked 10 Day Western Caribbean for 1/3-13/24. We're 3-Star Mariners and have never been on Eurodam, although we were on her sister, Nieuw Amsterdam, in Eastern Caribbean, January 2023. Looking forward to this cruise. (Who am I kidding? I eagerly await each cruise we book.)

Jan

Jan

You are going to have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SuzWillCruise said:

We want another cruise on the Eurodam. We had hopes for Alaska 2025, but it looks like it’s doing the exact same itinerary we just completed.

Not Eurodam, but I'm going to shill this one.... You should look for the 2025 version of W438 28-DAY ULTIMATE ALASKA (hollandamerica.com)
Because I want HAL to offer more of these sorts of extended Alaska trips.

It should show up somewhere in December.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrmoviezombie said:

Not Eurodam, but I'm going to shill this one.... You should look for the 2025 version of W438 28-DAY ULTIMATE ALASKA (hollandamerica.com)
Because I want HAL to offer more of these sorts of extended Alaska trips.

It should show up somewhere in December.

We would love to. But work frowns on vacations over two weeks long, and HAL’s Wi-Fi is definitely not sufficient for working remotely.

3 minutes ago, Jananza said:

I want this Big Time!

Turns out it's not on the HAL site, but "big box" website has it up now. Seach in June 2025 and it's there. We already booked it. Had to call to get the have it all package. Or if you already have a HAL PCC (or other TA) then call them and they can book it.

On 7/7/2023 at 5:38 PM, PCruzer said:

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.  The negative reviews I read were in the *Reviews* section of this site.  Everything from “the ship was dirty” to “the food was inedible!”  We haven’t cruised at all since 2019.  I found it hard to believe that the Eurodam had gone downhill so rapidly.  But almost every review was negative.  So, thank you again for your responses and restoring my faith in HAL.  We have booked the Eurodam! 😀

We sailed on Eurodam on June 24th. First time with HAL, and only second cruise. The ship was very clean and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't seem worn out/old, given it's age. We ate in the MDR, the Lido Market, Dive In, room service, and the pizza place (all free). The only food that was lackluster were the desserts in the Lido Market - not really sure why but they didn't have much flavor. The food in the MDR was quite good and service was excellent. The one complaint I've seen that is somewhat true is small portion sizes in the MDR. Yes, they are small, but they were more than enough for me when you consider several courses. Around mid-cruise my 19 yr old son would sometimes order two appetizers if two things struck his fancy, and he frequently helped me finish my food. I generally ate about 1/2 to 3/4 of each of my plates. So, if you're a "big" eater, just order more than one thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hllb said:

The only food that was lackluster were the desserts in the Lido Market - not really sure why but they didn't have much flavor.

This has always been true (since 2009 at least, and on all HAL ships I've sailed). I call them "air cakes" and don't even bother trying. Cookies and ice cream are good, though!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

This has always been true (since 2009 at least, and on all HAL ships I've sailed). I call them "air cakes" and don't even bother trying. Cookies and ice cream are good, though!

Most of their cakes have too little flavoring. But there's the bread pudding, which makes up for the cakes in both taste and calories.

• Like 3

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Most of their cakes have too little flavoring. But there's the bread pudding, which makes up for the cakes in both taste and calories.

Ah yes I forgot the storied bread pudding. My husband and my mom both liked it a lot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I found the ones in the MDR to be quite good though. Which doesn't really mesh LOL.

• Like 1

Just got off on July 8th.  

The food is very good in the MDR and Lido.  Always a nice combination of Mains and Starters.  Deserts were quite good.  I also enjoyed the hand carved meat at lunch at Lido.  Different  roasted meat every day.  The service was very good in the MDR, and the ship is comfortable to be on.  Her age is showing but she is a nice vessel.  We found all staff to be friendly and attentive. 

We will be back on her Jan 24. 

• Like 2

We were on the Eurodam in mid-March for a ten-day cruise.  We are 5* Mariners, and I have never found any HAL ship to be dirty.  They are constantly cleaning the ship throughout the day.  I found the food to be good in the MDR, and we had a wonderful dinner in the Pinnacle:  Crab cakes appetizer and the small filet mignon.  Yum!  The only slight negative was the apparent shortage of dining room staff.  They were definitely short workers but were earnestly trying to keep up.  The staff was, as always, exceedingly helpful and friendly.

• Like 4

On 7/7/2023 at 9:05 PM, SuzWillCruise said:

On Carnival we like the Spirit class best for the same reason. I don’t need a shopping mall or go karts on my cruises!

I took advantage of the $1.00 deposit day and booked the Eurodam for July 2024.  We also don't need shopping malls or go karts.  Just beautiful ports and cooking anything that doesn't involve me!   I'm on vacation!  

• Like 1

We were on the Eurodam on the June 24th cruise to Alaska and we really enjoyed it. We've been on lots of the ships over the years and this ship has become a new favorite. We found it easy to navigate and just a nice size. We came home and booked a cruise on it through the Panama Canal next spring!

We found the Pinnacle grill lacking for dinner service, but enjoyed a lunch there. Tamarind was wonderful and the MDR was very good as well. We didn't use the Lido much, but did like the Dive In.

Rhonda

Just a couple of thoughts -  I felt my above post might be mis understood -

Having been back for 7 days - 

The Observation Deck 11 was wonderful.  The Coffee Bar Baristas were great.  Sometimes they are quite busy.  We found the lounge chairs just behind the glass a great place to read and chat.  They do have a couple of fogged glass panels.  I presume they will be replaced soon.  If the chairs are full grab a table and a drink and wait for one to open up.  The chairs aren't a comfy but the view is just as good.  Many play board games and cards in this area.  No food there but the Lido is only a couples of decks below. 

We overlooked a jazz/trio that were pretty good.  Oceans Bar I think.  A bit more  of a   "Reserved" group.  Wish we had found out about it sooner. 

Just a quick note about the MDR Staff - They are terrific.  Our needs were anticipated.  The food was Flavorful cooked just the way you like it.  Sauces were great.  We passed on the bread as were trying to limit our caloric intake.  We did break down and have some rolls during our last dinner.   Mmmmm.

The Cabin Staff were also terrific.  We did leave a bit for our Table Captain and our Cabin Steward.

I can not think of one instance, on this vessel, where we were not met with a smile, and express their eagerness to assist - from stem to stern.

We did enjoy this trip to Alaska and the Eurodam.  We will be on her again this Jan. out of Ft Lauderdale.  Different cabin though.

Scott

• Like 2