Jump to content

Working Remote- Transatlantic


conandrob240
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are full time remote workers. My job is such that I can plan my work ahead and pre schedule my calls (maybe 6 hrs total of calls) then I spend the rest of the week writing the reports on those 3-4 calls. 
 

I would need very reliable, strong internet for those 3-4 2 hrs calls using video. (Generally we use teams)

 

Can anyone comment who may have done this on a transatlantic cruise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I haven't done this, I just got off the Scarlett Lady and was able to stream some YouTube with little difficulty. One thing about TA cruises though is that internet coverage is spotty over the Atlantic, versus over the main cruise zones.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done both TA.  In October, 2022, Premium wifi was not available either as a perk or to purchase.  Once we left the coast of Europe, the internet became crap.  I could check email and see FB, but couldn't get some of the FB photos and no videos.  No streaming.  According to speednet, we were on Starlink, but it didn't seem to be working. 

 

In April, 2023, it was a different world.  We had Deep Blue Extras which includes free premium internet.  I had no problem doing anything I wanted to.  Everything worked....a bit slower than if I was sitting in my home or office, but not bad at all. Streaming was fine, chat functions were fine..  We had great internet from beginning to end of the cruise.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been working remotely on cruise ships for the past year. The only issue I had on VV was calls over WiFi. I could not make them with my Android phone.  I've been able to make straight calls over WiFi on Royal Caribbean, Princess and MSC no problems, but for whatever reason VV didn't like it.  

 

Video chats and calls using WhatsApp or other tools was just fine. I love setting up in the Galley because they literally have it set up like your local coffee shop with outlets and USB outlets everywhere. 

 

Your Internet coverage will be spotty at times out in the Atlantic but Starlink has been filling in the gaps rapidly so it's getting much better.  "Reliable Internet" for 2-3 hours per day is do-able but never guaranteed on a cruise ship. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cantgetin said:

In April, 2023, it was a different world.  We had Deep Blue Extras 

Concur fully -- same cruise w/ DBE as well.   I was taking meetings via Teams and Zoom on deck 15 aft with no issues whatsoever (other than the jealousy of my colleagues.)    Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

 

 

Your Internet coverage will be spotty at times out in the Atlantic but Starlink has been filling in the gaps rapidly so it's getting much better.  "Reliable Internet" for 2-3 hours per day is do-able but never guaranteed on a cruise ship. 

Wow, I actually will disagree with Walter this one time.  We had great coverage all the way across the Atlantic.  I agree that it can't be guaranteed, but it was quite perfect during the April crossing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO, if you are in a position where not having internet access is going to cause you issues, I wouldn't do the cruise. While the access might be better, there will always be spots where there is low to no coverage. I just got off the Scarlet Lady and had great access with the premium internet, but we were in the Caribbean. It was probably some of the best internet access I've had at sea.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I've been working remotely on cruise ships for the past year. The only issue I had on VV was calls over WiFi. I could not make them with my Android phone.  I've been able to make straight calls over WiFi on Royal Caribbean, Princess and MSC no problems, but for whatever reason VV didn't like it.  

 

Video chats and calls using WhatsApp or other tools was just fine. I love setting up in the Galley because they literally have it set up like your local coffee shop with outlets and USB outlets everywhere. 

 

Your Internet coverage will be spotty at times out in the Atlantic but Starlink has been filling in the gaps rapidly so it's getting much better.  "Reliable Internet" for 2-3 hours per day is do-able but never guaranteed on a cruise ship. 

I would need reliable internet 4 hrs or so only ONE day a week. But it’s got to work well for a team video call during that day. The rest of my week would be flexible.

 

wouldn’t all computer calling/ video be via WiFi when out to sea? Or are you saying you used cellular service?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Concur fully -- same cruise w/ DBE as well.   I was taking meetings via Teams and Zoom on deck 15 aft with no issues whatsoever (other than the jealousy of my colleagues.)    Scott. 

On a Transatlantic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I was able to do Zoom on the April TA with no problem.  Didn't try Teams.  I never had any problem with the internet on that cruise.  It all worked beautifully.

 

In October 2022, the internet was awful during the crossing....as in almost impossible.  Others on the trip have reported no problems.  I was on a relatively new macbook, which has never been a problem before.  We had decent internet while near land in the Med, but once we headed out, it was bad.  Speed tests showed we were on Starlink, but it didn't work well at all on that crossing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, conandrob240 said:

wouldn’t all computer calling/ video be via WiFi when out to sea? Or are you saying you used cellular service?

 

I'm saying making a straight "Call over WiFi" from my phone did not work on Scarlet Lady. I had to use an app to make the call.  On the other ships I could simply use my phone in airplane mode and make the calls over WiFi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Wow, I actually will disagree with Walter this one time.  We had great coverage all the way across the Atlantic.  I agree that it can't be guaranteed, but it was quite perfect during the April crossing.

 

You were fortunate. Plenty of other accounts of internet being spotty on TransAtlantic crossings and the ships will generally warn guests that internet could be spotty. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

 

I'm saying making a straight "Call over WiFi" from my phone did not work on Scarlet Lady. I had to use an app to make the call.  On the other ships I could simply use my phone in airplane mode and make the calls over WiFi. 

Im Not the sharpest with technology. I’d be using teams. No phone involved. If I couldn’t use Teams with video, I could alternately do the 2-3 calls just as voice calls using my phone and 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did the April (2023) crossing from Miami to Spain. It was very good. I traded and used some Zoom. Zoom calls were average. I had an occasional dropout and would go to audio. Premium was very stable for crossing and into Med. They must have improved it from October (2022).

 

If video is required for Teams, it could be an issue for multiple hours per day. If audio or text is required (only), I think you should be fine.

 

Edited by Freelancer3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

My question would be this: My company requires a VPN.  I can access email & Zoom with "normal" wifi, but without being able to log into my company's VPN, which I've heard is most likely NOT possible on Scarlet Lady's transatlantic voyage, I won't be able to access documents and certain programs I need.  Anyone have any updated info on this?  The last time I read about it was this past spring 2023, and it said that without Starlink, it probably won't be possible out in the middle of the Atlantic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kasey68 said:

My question would be this: My company requires a VPN.  I can access email & Zoom with "normal" wifi, but without being able to log into my company's VPN, which I've heard is most likely NOT possible on Scarlet Lady's transatlantic voyage, I won't be able to access documents and certain programs I need.  Anyone have any updated info on this?  The last time I read about it was this past spring 2023, and it said that without Starlink, it probably won't be possible out in the middle of the Atlantic. 

 

I've tried to use a VPN on two different ships and it was not possible to connect to the ship's WiFi.  Just left the Valiant Lady yesterday and it was the first ship since the restart that I could not make outgoing audio or video calls. I could hear guests just fine, they could not hear me or only heard me sporadically. I was with a group of about 30 people onboard and everyone said the same, didn't matter if it was Apple or Android. I tried Calls over WiFi, WhatsApp and FB Messenger for audio calls, nothing worked and Zoom never even got started. 

 

Had no issues at all on Scarlet Lady with the premium WiFi but Valiant was a whole different animal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

 

I've tried to use a VPN on two different ships and it was not possible to connect to the ship's WiFi.  Just left the Valiant Lady yesterday and it was the first ship since the restart that I could not make outgoing audio or video calls. I could hear guests just fine, they could not hear me or only heard me sporadically. I was with a group of about 30 people onboard and everyone said the same, didn't matter if it was Apple or Android. I tried Calls over WiFi, WhatsApp and FB Messenger for audio calls, nothing worked and Zoom never even got started. 

 

Had no issues at all on Scarlet Lady with the premium WiFi but Valiant was a whole different animal. 

Thanks for that info. To be clear, I don’t care about my phone. I actually want to be able to sit at my work computer and put in a few hours of work each day. If I can’t do that with a VPN then it won’t be possible. The phone thing doesn’t matter to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no experience with the phone.  On Valiant with premium, no problem with zoom or teams but unable to connect at all with vpn.  Without VPN, worked fine with a mininal bit of lag.  Lag was more obvious than in April, when there was none....but it was still functional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have Starlink for my home and it is surprising to hear that you have had trouble using the internet for wifi calls. Of course my house isn't tossing around like a cork in a tub of water but I have excellent wifi calling on my cell phone. So I wonder if Virgin has something set up to throttle it down. 

 

I went with Starlink a little over a year ago and was able to stream tv programs while working on my laptop and also placing calls. Prior to then I had Dish and none of that was possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...