Carambola Beach - enough time to see the rest of St Kitts?

alc13

We're considering a Caribbean cruise with a stop in St Kitts, where I spent a summer many (many) years ago.  The beach barbecue sounds fun and we wouldn't want to miss it.  Is there enough time to drive around the island for some sightseeing before and/ or afterwards?

40 minutes ago, alc13 said:

We're considering a Caribbean cruise with a stop in St Kitts, where I spent a summer many (many) years ago.  The beach barbecue sounds fun and we wouldn't want to miss it.  Is there enough time to drive around the island for some sightseeing before and/ or afterwards?

I would suggest doing before rather than after as it doesn't really start until almost lunch time unless you are big into snorkelling and relaxing with friends. The main reason I say before is if you enjoy a drink the crew do like to serve various drinks and it wouldn't be wise to drive after 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Excellent point!  

Thanks so much for your reply.  Could we get there as late as 1pm, do you think?

Yes 1.00pm is fine.

The BBQ selection is fantastic.

I had three lobsters last time I was there.

Caviar in the surf always an attraction to those that haven't seen it before.

A great day in St Kitts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ship will have a number of excursions in the morning, and they all get back to the beach location by 12:30. I believe the Caviar in the Surf event is usually about 12:15-12:30, and the lunch runs for at least 90 minutes.

One of the times we were at this stop, we decided to do the train around the island. All would have gone well except the train had a mechanical problem. There was steady communication between the excursion operator and the ship. We got back about 30-40 minutes late, so the caviar in the surf event had just happened — but the Hotel Director, Restaurant Manager, and other Seabourn officers were there to meet our buses with caviar and champagne! And we went straight to lunch from there. If we hadn't previously been at the same beach for this event, I would have been a little disappointed, but they made the best of it and we didn't miss much. 

So I'd say barring unexpected delays, yo can easily use the morning hours for some touring on the island. Get back between 12:00 and 12:30, and you won't miss a thing. 

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I had three lobsters last time I was there.

Amateur. 🤣 I think I had four the last time we were there! I skipped everything else on the buffet and concentrated on lobster tails. 

We were on the same cruise as cruiseej (and his lovely wife!).  We did the snorkling and catamaran sail prior to the caviar in the surf event, and we got back just as the event started.  The food was FABULOUS and the entire event was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

The ship will have a number of excursions in the morning, and they all get back to the beach location by 12:30. I believe the Caviar in the Surf event is usually about 12:15-12:30, and the lunch runs for at least 90 minutes.

One of the times we were at this stop, we decided to do the train around the island. All would have gone well except the train had a mechanical problem. There was steady communication between the excursion operator and the ship. We got back about 30-40 minutes late, so the caviar in the surf event had just happened — but the Hotel Director, Restaurant Manager, and other Seabourn officers were there to meet our buses with caviar and champagne! And we went straight to lunch from there. If we hadn't previously been at the same beach for this event, I would have been a little disappointed, but they made the best of it and we didn't miss much. 

So I'd say barring unexpected delays, yo can easily use the morning hours for some touring on the island. Get back between 12:00 and 12:30, and you won't miss a thing. 

Amateur. 🤣 I think I had four the last time we were there! I skipped everything else on the buffet and concentrated on lobster tails. 

These were full lobsters not tails and they were large.

Do not miss the beach BBQ and Caviar  in the surf. Food is amazing, staff are also having fun. We have done it twice previously  and will do it twice in December as part of the end of a Transatlantic and then a Caribbean cruise the following week.

Beach is a little remote, not sure you will find car rental easy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caviarforme said:

Beach is a little remote, not sure you will find car rental easy

And that was my next question!  Do the tenders only go to the beach? 

One of our Carambola beach days was memorable because of the actions of a female bar waitress (who we had met on the ship).  She was walking along the beach, carrying a tray of champagne glasses and a bottle.  The lady was dressed all in white and wearing white sneakers.  Several passengers were out in the water, about chest high, drinking champagne and their glasses were almost empty.  The crew member took off her sneakers and waded out (to her high chest level) in her clothes and refilled all the glasses.  When she came back ashore she put her sneakers on and moved along to serve more passengers.   She did get an applause from a few on the beach who noticed the moment.   Only on Seabourn!

Hank

• Like 2