Can 12 year old granddaughter cruise without a passport?

stevel45

We are booked on Celebrity Equinox Aug 5th with our 12 year old granddaughter

Her parents applied for express passport 

What if she does not receive it on time

Celebrity rep says she must have a passport but being a closed loop cruise (Ft Lauderdale to Ft Lauderdale ) thought a birth certificate would be fine

What should I do?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth. The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate.

Since you are also not her parents   - The CBP also say about minors traveling abroad. Unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the child must have a notarized letter from the other parent or signed by both parents showing their consent.

Per CBP website -

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

While by rule a birth certificate should be fine, you should check Celebrity's rules. I know on Princess, if a minor is not sailing with their parent, passports are required for everyone.

You have the Princess requirement wrong. On Princess a minor is required to have a passport if only traveling with one parent. Celebrity does not have that requirement. Here are Celebrity’s requirements for closed loop cruises.

“U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.”

16 hours ago, stevel45 said:

We are booked on Celebrity Equinox Aug 5th with our 12 year old granddaughter

Her parents applied for express passport 

What if she does not receive it on time

Celebrity rep says she must have a passport but being a closed loop cruise (Ft Lauderdale to Ft Lauderdale ) thought a birth certificate would be fine

What should I do?

I am not an American and I am sure the information given on the rules is correct.

However you have also been told by Celebrity that your granddaughter must have a Passport.

My concern would be that you arrive at the port and Celebrity refuse you boarding because you granddaughter doesn't have the documentation that Celebrity requires.

The solution - contact Celebrity again, explain the situation and ask them to confirm in writing exactly what they will or won't accept as in the end it's Celebrity that will make the decision.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, the penguins said:

However you have also been told by Celebrity that your granddaughter must have a Passport.

The phone rep wrong which is not unusual with Celebrity reps.. It is already in writing on Celebrity's website that a passport is not required. 

“U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.”

@Ferry Watcher    

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The phone rep wrong which is not unusual with Celebrity reps.. It is already in writing on Celebrity's website that a passport is not required. 

@Ferry Watcher    

I may have expressed myself badly - attempt 2.

When, as appears to have happened to the original poster in this case, I have received what I am almost sure is incorrect information I ask the Rep to confirm what they have said and what I need in writing. By doing this I force the Rep to check the facts which usually results in the correct information being provided.

There have been numerous instances in the UK where passengers have been refused boarding by Airlines only for the Airlines to admit later that the passenger had been right which is no consolation to any one.

This is a particular problem in the UK with confusion over the validity of Passports. For years , on renewal, UK passports were granted for 10 years +any time left on the old passport making many passports valid for day 10 years and 3 months. Up to now the EU and other countires turned a "blind eye" to this annomoly but since we left the EU the rules are being enforced resulting in many passengers being refused boarding.

called celebrity again today and the rep said she does not need a passport just an embossed birth cert

and permission letter from her parents 

sorry for the repeat post but getting a little nervous

thanks for all the replies

• Like 1