Warning to those that prebook specialty restaurants

Jgmagic2000

On 7/16/2023 at 9:26 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Thank you; I didn't realize they would charge a different amount, so I will definitely go look.

Report back and let us know please.  I am guessing that might be it.  This will help others know to watch for this too.

Restaurants seem to be the worst for some reason.  I just cancelled an excursion for an August cruise and literally had the refund back on my credit card in 2 days.

I have cancelled some other things in the last 6-12 months and it took maybe 7-10 days to get the refund (this was to get gift cards back).

Cancelled Steakhouse once and it took forever, and a phone call to get it dealt with.  I actually called the fun shops and they were able to help me.  If it has been 3 weeks I would try there and not wait 45 days for an email.

PS:  I fully agree anyone has the right to cancel anything they choose.  We all change our minds for various reason - just ignore anyone that gives you grief otherwise.  We travel a lot and I change stuff all the time.  

• Like 1

When we were on Mardi Gras last year, we had to cancel the Chef's table at the last minute because my family was chosen to be on Family Feud and since one of the contestants in the family was 15, we couldn't get to do the later shows.    We cancelled and our refund was applied to the Sail & Sign card as we were onboard.  It was NOT refunded to the original payment.  

I wonder if that may have been the case with the OP.

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

PS:  I fully agree anyone has the right to cancel anything they choose.  We all change our minds for various reason - just ignore anyone that gives you grief otherwise.  We travel a lot and I change stuff all the time.  

No shade, but that just isn't the reality of business operations.  Of course you have the right to cancel, that doesn't necessarily mean you are entitled to a refund.  

4 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

No shade, but that just isn't the reality of business operations.  Of course you have the right to cancel, that doesn't necessarily mean you are entitled to a refund.  

Agreed, if that is stipulated in the rules and I book knowing that is the rule, then I forfeit any refund if I choose to cancel (have done this in a lot of different scenarios in my years traveling too - I would buy tickets for something down the road and then we decide not to go and I am out the money at my own doing - I have probably lost enough money to pay for an entire cruise over the years  - but I did so knowingly). 

However, in this particular case there is not a "no refund policy."  Therefore, the OP is entitled to cancel without penalty if they so decide, and receive a full refund. People or giving them grief for cancelling and expecting a refund - which is the right to do so

3 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Agreed, if that is stipulated in the rules and I book knowing that is the rule, then I forfeit any refund if I choose to cancel (have done this in a lot of different scenarios in my years traveling too - I would buy tickets for something down the road and then we decide not to go and I am out the money at my own doing - I have probably lost enough money to pay for an entire cruise over the years  - but I did so knowingly). 

However, in this particular case there is not a "no refund policy."  Therefore, the OP is entitled to cancel without penalty if they so decide, and receive a full refund. People or giving them grief for cancelling and expecting a refund - which is the right to do so

PS:  I will say the screen shot they provided shows no penalty, but I swear it is nagging at me and somewhere I have seen, for the steakhouse at least, if you don't cancel like 24 hours in advance there is a penalty.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:32 PM, TreyB said:

You change your mind, you pay the consequences. Why do you expect them to immediately refund you when you booked prior and then changed your mind at the last minute, inconveniencing other guests who may have wanted a reservation?  You don’t deserve an immediate refund, if you deserve a refund at all. 

If they can take my money immediately, there is no excuse why they can't give it back immediately or within a reasonable time frame.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wemjam said:

Report back and let us know please.  I am guessing that might be it.  This will help others know to watch for this too.

Hey @wemjam thanks for your example and explanation - checked the original CC statement and sure enough, they did not charge the $17.28, only the $96 dinner charge, even though the booking confirmation showed the $17.28.

Mystery solved and the waiting game is officially over, lol.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, Jgmagic2000 said:

This issue only occurs if you book online prior to the cruise and then cancel once on board via the carnival hub app.  The only way to get a refund is by communication with guest services via email and it takes up to 45 days to get a response.  

To the OP, Jgmagic200 hit this on the head I am sure.

And I think the real core of the issue is you cancelled through the hub app instead of dealing direct with someone.  Usually if you cancel something on board, dealing with a live person, they issue the refund to your sail and sign account within 24 hours.  We have never had it happen any other way and that includes spa, restaurant, and excursions.

I think because you used the hub app, it has to go through the back accounting office now and their whole accounting situation.  Customer Service can only be reached by email now, which can take up to 45 days... and in my experience takes at least 2 - 4 weeks for sure.

The lesson here I think is, that if you do find yourself in a position where you need to cancel something on board... do it direct with a person and make sure it is dealt with while on board the ship.  Don't wait until after the sailing because then it becomes very cumbersome and time consuming. 

On board the ship they are only dealing with 2000 guests... the land based accounting office is dealing with 10's of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of accounting statements at a time I am sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 3:55 AM, sparks1093 said:

I don't think anyone has said a refund isn't deserved. 

Mr TreyB very much said that...

You change your mind, you pay the consequences. Why do you expect them to immediately refund you when you booked prior and then changed your mind at the last minute, inconveniencing other guests who may have wanted a reservation?  You don’t deserve an immediate refund, if you deserve a refund at all. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:32 PM, TreyB said:

You don’t deserve an immediate refund

This is the most anti-consumer perspective I've ever read on these boards and I honestly can't believe what I'm reading.

You pay for a service and you cancel that service that claims it's refundable- businesses have a responsibility to refund their customers in a timely fashion. 3 weeks isn't exactly timely, nor is it unreasonable to complain about waiting three weeks for a refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/17/2023 at 6:08 PM, mz-s said:

If they can take my money immediately, there is no excuse why they can't give it back immediately or within a reasonable time frame.

This, 100%. Especially in the days of electronic processing. Businesses shouldn't get a pass for holding on to people's due refunds.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:31 AM, going to see the world said:

Mr TreyB very much said that...

No he didn't. He said "if you deserve a refund", he didn't say "I don't think you deserve a refund". It appears that a refund is due under the terms and conditions so it's a moot point.

• Haha 1