Jump to content

where to get gas at JFK


Hlitner
 Share

Recommended Posts

We will need to drop a rental car at JFK (Federal Circle) and would like to hear advice from some locals about the best place to fill-up before dropping our Hertz car.  We will likely approach JFK on Van Wyck.

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine that the most convenient location would be the Sunoco service station at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Between 147th Street and 148th Street, and between 147th Avenue and 150th Avenue, across the street from the former Green Bus Lines garage at Cornell Park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

You might want to consider getting off at Rockaway Blvd. Use your Google maps to find closest gas station. Then Google maps to get to Hertz. Driving the backroads thru JFK can be confusing if not familiar. 

That is why I asked for help.  Am very comfortable driving in Manhattan, but Brooklyn and Queens leave me scratching my head.  I appreciate the suggestions.  Since we drive into NYC via the Holland Tunnel (DW lives in Gramercy Park) we have previously filled up before the tunnel and later made to JFK with the gauge on Full.  But this time, Hertz is honoring me with an upgrade to a larger car so we may need to top it off.  A true pain.  And to add to my misery, I noticed that the Airtrain does not currently stop at Terminal 1 (and of course, that is where we need to get our flight).  So now, I have to deal with that extra hassle (getting off at 8 and then taking a shuttle bus).  And getting some gas will just add to the hassles.  It makes too much sense that there should be a gas station at Federal Circle, but we are talking NYC!

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

It’s up to you you but maybe just have Hertz fill up the car. I know it’s highway robbery but might be worth it this time. 

Right - if you bring it back close to fill you will only have to pay the extortionate per-gallon price on a gallon or two.  What is your time and absence of aggravation worth to you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

It’s up to you you but maybe just have Hertz fill up the car. I know it’s highway robbery but might be worth it this time. 

 

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Right - if you bring it back close to fill you will only have to pay the extortionate per-gallon price on a gallon or two.  What is your time and absence of aggravation worth to you?

I agree. In similar circumstances I just pay the outrageous rental company charge for gasoline. For a couple of dollars it's not worth my time or the aggravation involved in finding a gas station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is the never-ending construction on the Van Wyck so getting off at Atlantic Ave and the many gas stations on the service road would be a real headache. I even believe the Atlantic Ave exit or entrance is closed right now, haven't been on the Van Wyck since the middle of June.

 

I too suggest just paying for an 1/8th or two of gas at the Hertz pirate rate and saving the headaches for the flight home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grrrr I hear and respect the opinions of letting Hertz fill it up.  I hate doing that out of the principle. but the entire JFK thing is one major hassle :(.  The fuel issue is just money.  But my airline departs from T1 which is also a hassle since the Airtran station is closed.  It seems like we have to go over to T8 and than deal with the hassles of a shuttle bus...with the added hassle of having a ton of luggage.  It all makes me want to sing "New York New York!"

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

  It seems like we have to go over to T8 and than deal with the hassles of a shuttle bus...with the added hassle of having a ton of luggage.  It all makes me want to sing "New York New York!"

You can call Uber/Lyft to pick you up at Federal Circle and take you to the terminal.
Does Hertz have a service to drive you to the terminal, again having to pay for both options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

You can call Uber/Lyft to pick you up at Federal Circle and take you to the terminal.
Does Hertz have a service to drive you to the terminal, again having to pay for both options.

Really?  Didn't think most Uber drivers would want such a short haul and would likely turn down any pick-up at Federal Circle.  As to Hertz, it has been awhile since we dropped a car at that location, but I do not recall they (or the others we have used) offering any kind of direct transfer.  We have always been forced to use the Airtran...which is normally fine except for the current situation vis-a-vis T1.

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a minimum charge for rideshare in NYC I think, nothing is lost by just trying to see if you can get picked up. Many drivers drive for both companies he can pick up a job from the other company as they drive you to the terminal—just an idea. 

Edited by Brighton Line
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All that being said (about Uber) apparently there is a Port Authority rule that Uber may ONLY pick up riders at the Terminal Arrivals area.  If they pick up anywhere else they are subject to fines.  You have to love NYC :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

All that being said (about Uber) apparently there is a Port Authority rule that Uber may ONLY pick up riders at the Terminal Arrivals area.  If they pick up anywhere else they are subject to fines.  You have to love NYC :).

Might be a rule, but I have been picked up at Federal Circle by Uber/Lyft several times but was traveling to Brooklyn after returning my rental car.  YMMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2023 at 6:38 PM, Hlitner said:

That is why I asked for help.  Am very comfortable driving in Manhattan, but Brooklyn and Queens leave me scratching my head.  I appreciate the suggestions.  Since we drive into NYC via the Holland Tunnel (DW lives in Gramercy Park) we have previously filled up before the tunnel and later made to JFK with the gauge on Full.  But this time, Hertz is honoring me with an upgrade to a larger car so we may need to top it off.  A true pain.  And to add to my misery, I noticed that the Airtrain does not currently stop at Terminal 1 (and of course, that is where we need to get our flight).  So now, I have to deal with that extra hassle (getting off at 8 and then taking a shuttle bus).  And getting some gas will just add to the hassles.  It makes too much sense that there should be a gas station at Federal Circle, but we are talking NYC!

 

Hank

Your wife lives in Gramercy Park ? A typo,perhaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Your wife lives in Gramercy Park ? A typo,perhaps.

Should be DD and grandkids.  DW would probably love to have a place there so she could see the grandkids every day 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Should be DD and grandkids.  DW would probably love to have a place there so she could see the grandkids every day 🙂

 

I worked in that area for 25 plus years .It was very beautiful.The residents as I am sure you know all had access to a private park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked in that area for 25 plus years .It was very beautiful.The residents as I am sure you know all had access to a private park.

I believe that is only for residents in the immediate area of the park.  We have been inside that well manicured area :).  Kind of unique in NYC as it is truly a private park.  The sad news about that area is that the Grammercy Park Hotel is now closed (it could not survive COVID) and will likely be converted into more condos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I believe that is only for residents in the immediate area of the park.  We have been inside that well manicured area :).  Kind of unique in NYC as it is truly a private park.  The sad news about that area is that the Grammercy Park Hotel is now closed (it could not survive COVID) and will likely be converted into more condos.

Yes - I believe the gates are locked, and only residents in the area immediately surrounding the park have keys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I believe that is only for residents in the immediate area of the park.  We have been inside that well manicured area :).  Kind of unique in NYC as it is truly a private park.  The sad news about that area is that the Grammercy Park Hotel is now closed (it could not survive COVID) and will likely be converted into more condos.

I remember when the hotel was really classy.There was a movie theater on 23 St. close to Lexington Ave that became a stage theater later .

There was a theater called Theatron on 22 St between Lexington and Third that offered stage plays for $1.00 .The theater had about 80 seats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2023 at 9:29 AM, Hlitner said:

We will need to drop a rental car at JFK (Federal Circle) and would like to hear advice from some locals about the best place to fill-up before dropping our Hertz car.  We will likely approach JFK on Van Wyck.

 

Hank

There is a BP gas station right on the corner of Atlantic Ave and van Wyck expressway on the service road. I believe it’s the Atlantic Ave exit but there have been a few changes so not sure of the exit number. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, oceans.calling said:

There is a BP gas station right on the corner of Atlantic Ave and van Wyck expressway on the service road. I believe it’s the Atlantic Ave exit but there have been a few changes so not sure of the exit number. 

One of the posters thought that the Van Wyck exit to Atlantic Ave is closed or has issues due to construction.  Since I am aware that there is a JFK- 7:11 complex inside JFK (about a mile from Federal Circle) I started looking at this option.  Much to my surprise, it does show-up on my Map App as a 4 min drive (using the internal JFK Cargo Rd) from Hertz.  My thinking is we will just deal with it as circumstances unfold.  If we get to JFK a bit early, and the stars are aligned, I might drive over to that 7-11 Sunoco station.  Otherwise, we will just follow the advice of some posters and turn in the car and let Hertz charge us for the fill.

 

We will also take a look at the Atlantic Ave exit, on the fly, and decide if that looks like a good option.  I am one of these independent travelers who likes to know the options, but can than be flexible depending on the moment. 

 

I noticed today (online that not only is their construction at T1 but also some new construction at T5.  Sounds like JFK might be a mess for the next few years.

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...