Boarding without Everyone/children in your reservation?

DZ77

We are an extended family with 7 rooms, 7 adults and 9 kids.  The reservations are all in the adult names and the children are split up amongst the 7 rooms for reservation purposes.  

What happens if the grandparents arrive at the ship to get their 2 rooms and board, but the children associated with their reservation are not there, as the kids will be coming with their parents at a later time.  

Are the grandparents able to check in and board the boat?  Or do the grandchildren need to be there? 

If everyone completed the online reservation, does that make any difference?

On 7/16/2023 at 5:26 PM, DZ77 said:

We are an extended family with 7 rooms, 7 adults and 9 kids.  The reservations are all in the adult names and the children are split up amongst the 7 rooms for reservation purposes.  

What happens if the grandparents arrive at the ship to get their 2 rooms and board, but the children associated with their reservation are not there, as the kids will be coming with their parents at a later time.  

Are the grandparents able to check in and board the boat?  Or do the grandchildren need to be there? 

If everyone completed the online reservation, does that make any difference?

I've never been in your situation, but I don't believe any of you will encounter the problems you seem to be anticipating. The adults will need to get key cards arranged at the front desk for access to appropriate rooms.
Hopefully others who have been in similar situations will answer with more specific (and reassuring) info.

The only issue that I can imagine is if the minors who are booked in the grandparents' staterooms would not be able to check in or get key cards without their grandparents present because they are booked in the same rooms. But, that could be avoided if the grandparents inquire when they are checking in on the best way to handle the situation:

- It might not be an issue at all. In which case, yay! OR
- It could be an issue, but they could see if it would be possible to board and then disembark and come back to the check in area later once the minors arrive in order to help check them in. OR
- It could be an issue and they will not be able to board until the minors are present.

So, the question becomes: How much earlier do you think that the grandparents will arrive vs. the rest of the family? Would it be a problem for them to wait in the terminal for the rest of the family to arrive or get to the port later, at the same time as everyone else? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You may have problems....

9 hours ago, zqvol said:

or you probably won't have problems

I love this site.

• Haha 7

We had this situation. We checked in and when the grandchildren arrived later

with their parents we stood next to them while they checked in. Even though

the parents were on the ship we needed a special form to fill out to be their guardians.

• Like 1

Thank you!

Did you make it on to the ship - and then you had to return to the check in area when the grandchildren arrived?  Or were you in the check-in area the whole time?

I assume it doesn't matter whether the grandchildren are all teenagers as opposed to younger. 

On 7/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, DZ77 said:

Thank you!

Did you make it on to the ship - and then you had to return to the check in area when the grandchildren arrived?  Or were you in the check-in area the whole time?

I assume it doesn't matter whether the grandchildren are all teenagers as opposed to younger. 

Sorry just saw this. As long as they are under 18 the form is required. We waited in the check in area. It was fine.

I am assuming that this is the form being mentioned. This is the form that is usually required if minors are traveling without their parents: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

While the parents will be on board, since the children are not booked with them in the same room, NCL may want to confirm that the grandparents have "responsibility" for the children during the cruise, since the children are not booked in the same cabin as their parents (even if that is where they will eventually be staying).

7 hours ago, Pitzel said:

I am assuming that this is the form being mentioned. This is the form that is usually required if minors are traveling without their parents: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

While the parents will be on board, since the children are not booked with them in the same room, NCL may want to confirm that the grandparents have "responsibility" for the children during the cruise, since the children are not booked in the same cabin as their parents (even if that is where they will eventually be staying).

So I recently took my daughter and her friend (17) on a cruise with my wife. We had gotten the Consent form as well as photos of her parents IDs and had them prepared when asked. When we checked in, nothing was asked for. I always am prepared just in case.