Candy for the Crew

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

Again, you do what you want.  I will give cash and a good review.  

I also do as I want: I give cash (much more than suggested!) and a good review.  And candy, too.

teddie 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

The point was that the crew member could not access it themselves. They probably had $5. Not every problem is handled by throwing money at it. We all understand that you don’t hand over unidentifiable pills or Px meds. Hopefully you never get a sudden migraine and the person next to you on an excursion has OTC meds but refuses to give them to you. 

Some people are able to think and go the extra mile and some aren’t. It’s called compassion.

Knowing me, I probably would not take medicine from a stranger.  I still would not give medication to a stranger.  I would give cash.  Reason I am adamant about this is once I did have a bad headache at work many years ago and accepted a pill from a coworker which unknowingly to me was a controlled substance which I didn't know at the time.  I had a bad reaction to it and ended up in the ER.  So I base my decision on past experience which really scared me at the time.  If this makes me more cautious and nervous and less compassionate, well there's a reason for it.  

Edited to add yes I am well aware of OTC vs controlled substances but I still would be hesitant doing so.  Others may not be.  I am more comfortable with my safer at least to me solution.

Edited by jean87510
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, teddie said:

Haha. It's the cheap stuff--ibuprofen. 

T.

Here I was thinking it was something special! Just kidding. I didn’t really think it was any special, but I had no idea what you meant. 🤕

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Knowing me, I probably would not take medicine from a stranger.  I still would not give medication to a stranger.  I would give cash.

Yes, to all the above and I wouldn’t take candy from a stranger. That’s the beginning to a bad movie. 

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes, to all the above and I wouldn’t take candy from a stranger. That’s the beginning to a bad movie. 

Is it okay to give half & half to a stranger?

Half & half seems to be a precious commodity these days, maybe even more valuable than a cash tip.😇😉

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, marci22 said:

Instead of candy or stuff that takes up room, what about adding a door magnet to your cash tip? People have a lot of these and it won't take up space inside the cabin. Or an over the door shoe holder (once you are done with it, of course) to stash all the customer gifts.

Candy can be dangerous and insulting.

Fridge magnets don’t pay the rent either.

We knew a couple in a Suite during a TA who used to bring a plate of pastries every morning from the Windjammer for the stateroom attendants in their area.  They were very happy.  Not sure what they served the crew for breakfast.

We're appreciative of the hard work our stateroom attendants do, but we don't bring them gifts.  They have envelopes for those who do exceptional jobs.  

On 7/24/2023 at 12:30 PM, jean87510 said:

And if you weren't there, what would she have done?  Taken the $5 and got a co worker to get it for her.  What did she do with sea sickness before you came?  

It doesn't matter if it's OTC or prescription.  Never a good idea to buy pills for someone.  

I'm not trying to argue with you, but explain to you:

I asked her if she wanted it.  I asked her if she was tolerating the Dramamine OK.  I offered to get it for her because I was going to the drugstore in port.  I fail to see the difference between me or a co-worker getting it for her.

She had NEVER experienced seasickness before: she was new to the ship, and had never sailed up the Atlantic Coast before.

The medication was well over $20, and I knew she would not get time off to get it (I asked her that, also), nor spend the money for it.

I had her permission to get it for her ahead of time.  

She thanked me profusely the next 2 days, because she could work, not feel sick, and knew when they kept repeating the itinerary, she would be OK to do her job.

I think I've covered all my testimony now, so I'll be done with this topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I gave some crew a box of Bonine for motion sickness, they were VERY appreciative. It's something they all absolutely like getting, even if they don't need it, some of the crew mates will! 

Good on you!  It's odd that passengers seem to sometimes think the crew are immune to seasickness!