ES2 aft cabin differences?

Youn2122

Hello.  I see in the earlier post online that someone stated the Viking ES2 aft explorer suites on the Ocean Cruises vary slightly in size from the 5th deck to the 4th deck with the es2 aft being about 100 sqft larger on the 5th deck.  Viking has told me twice now that ‘all es2 the aft are the same size’.  Is this true?  Can any compare being on the fifth deck for an es2 vs being on the fourth deck.  Also, Does the overhang from deck seven cause less sun on the fifth deck?   I know the rooms are both great back there but curious about size and also overhang from above.  Thanks!!

Thanks for replying.  Do you know if the balconies on deck 5 are larger?  Also any concern about shade from upper deck if you are on deck 5 in aft Vs deck 4?  On pictures there seems to be a little more overhang there but maybe not(?)

I'm fairly certain that the lower decks have larger balconies - the rear of the ship steps out to the stern. That's how it seemed when I looked down on 3 from our ES on 4.

Shade from the overhang is only likely to make any difference if the sun is directly overhead. I might be more concerned about proximity to the infinity pool when on deck 5, though I'm told they now routinely lower the water level to avoid sloshing when under way.

Our sun loungers were arranged so they faced directly aft, so you're under the overhang of the balcony above in any event.

Viking Ocean Cruise Ships Cabin Guide and Review: Full Suites (viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone booking 5108 on the Mars.  As someone else said, cabin sizes are the same but balconies differ.  So, total square footage for deck 4 - 883, deck 5 - 980, deck 6 - 850.  She didn't give me deck 3.  Will be our first aft cabin so looking forward to it!.  Also, just from pictures it looks like deck 6 completely overhangs deck 5 aft cabins so I don't expect it to be an issue that anyone would be looking right down on us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been in both 5108 and 5109.  The only people who can see the balcony are the cabins in the center/aft (you can see the diagonal wall between cabins in the pic above).  If someone is standing at their railing, they can look to the side and see the balcony of 5108 or 5109.  We've never had trouble with the infinity pool above us splashing down.  IMO, these are the best suites on the ship - having the huge balcony is great.  We had breakfast at the table on the balcony most mornings and really enjoyed laying on the double lounger or the two chaise lounges, depending on the sun or what we wanted to look at.  We watched a YouTube video where someone was in the ES2 on 4 and you could hear the prop/propwash much more clearly than we ever did on 5.  Here's pictures of the inside of our suite on the Viking Sea last month, as well as breakfast while sailing into Dubrovnik.

20230531_125022.jpg

20230531_125059.jpg

20230603_071219.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Has anyone stayed in 6098?  It is an ES2 aft cabin.  Looks like the pool deck is right above.  Noise issues?  Also looks like there is part of the infinity pool visible, and therefore no cabins in between the two aft ES2's on that floor.  Can people go into that part of the pool or is it just decorative?

5 hours ago, ElaynaB said:

Has anyone stayed in 6098?  It is an ES2 aft cabin.  Looks like the pool deck is right above.  Noise issues?  Also looks like there is part of the infinity pool visible, and therefore no cabins in between the two aft ES2's on that floor.  Can people go into that part of the pool or is it just decorative?

I can't comment on the noise issues (I've only stayed in the ES2s on 5), but the section of the infinity pool that juts out between the two ES2 cabins on 6 is mostly the overflow catch basin for the pool.  In this picture, you can see the gap between where the pool ends and the overflow basin beyond it.

World of Cruising | Viking Star

• Like 1

My wife and I stayed in 6099 for a two week cruise from Japan to Hong Kong and loved it. I believe it  is identical to 6098 but on the other side of the ship.  We never heard any noise from the pool or anywhere else.  I do not remember ever seeing anyone in the pool from our balcony that wrapped around the stern.  We liked our cabin so much we have booked it again for a cruise in 2024.  The only very slight downside is the long walk down the hall to the stern of the boat.  That helped offset the delicious gelato  in the World Café!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Hello, I just booked 6098. Does anyone know if there are 2 lounge chairs on the deck? I realize that the decks are a bit smaller, and I've seen different comments regarding the chairs. Thanks!!

On 7/26/2023 at 1:42 PM, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We've been in both 5108 and 5109. … IMO, these are the best suites on the ship - having the huge balcony is great.

As an FYI to future readers of this thread, those two awesome cabins have been “discovered” by Viking, and the equivalent cabins on Vela, 5118 and 5119 plus the two deck 4 aft ES, have been reclassified as ES1 cabins, with the corresponding price hike.  The only ES2 cabins left on Vela are the two deck 6 aft ES.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

As an FYI to future readers of this thread, those two awesome cabins have been “discovered” by Viking, and the equivalent cabins on Vela, 5118 and 5119 plus the two deck 4 aft ES, have been reclassified as ES1 cabins, with the corresponding price hike.  The only ES2 cabins left on Vela are the two deck 6 aft ES.

😪

On 7/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, Youn2122 said:

Thanks for replying.  Do you know if the balconies on deck 5 are larger?  Also any concern about shade from upper deck if you are on deck 5 in aft Vs deck 4?  On pictures there seems to be a little more overhang there but maybe not(?)

There is an overhang from 5 to 4 that we liked and some might not.