NCL Star 8001-8007 & 8501-8507

ziggyuk

I have 8001 and an wondering if anyone has been in these cabins or got an information?
They appear shorter but wider than the others.
I know it is right above the theatre but that won't be an issue for us as we are out early & until late.

image.jpeg.a7b9587492f9ad65466a32013480269b.jpeg

@ziggyuk - would this (CC'ers opinion/review) help ?? regarding cabin noise w thrusters 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=662975 

Not sure if those are any bigger ... I know on the *Away/Plus class ships with some (maybe a handful of them, which we onced booked pre-Covid, but upgraded & never got to see or use it) of the Insides on Deck 5, they are more "squarish" than rectangular (typical NCL ship's Inside cabins) 

Found this YT Video from the GEM - #8001 (fairly recent) latter part showing the Inside cabin ... look basically same as most other Insides in these older mid-sized NCL ships.  

Additional pix if you go to cabin #8507 along with #8001 - from the GEM, my Google partner BARD couldn't find anything specific to the Star  ...https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Gem&deck=8 

Cheers 

8 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@ziggyuk - would this (CC'ers opinion/review) help ?? regarding cabin noise w thrusters 

Not sure if those are any bigger ... I know on the *Away/Plus class ships with some (maybe a handful of them, which we onced booked pre-Covid, but upgraded & never got to see or use it) of the Insides on Deck 5, they are more "squarish" than rectangular (typical NCL ship's Inside cabins) 

Found this YT Video from the GEM - #8001 (fairly recent) latter part showing the Inside cabin ... look basically same as most other Insides in these older mid-sized NCL ships.  

Additional pix if you go to cabin #8507 along with #8001 - from the GEM, my Google partner BARD couldn't find anything specific to the Star  ...https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Gem&deck=8 

Cheers 

Thank you @mking8288 I was on the Star in March around Ireland, we were on floor 9 not so far from this 8th floor cabin. Ireland was almost exclusively tendering (we only docked twice), I did not notice any thruster noise but was not as close as the review you posted.
We did hear the anchors go down on all those tender ports but it was not an issue to us as we get up early for breakfast and make the most of the day which I why I don't think the theatre will be an issue and I doubt the thrusters will either.

The gem video do look interesting and although a different class ship does look a similar layout. I tried to find anything on the Dawn or Star with are the same class but drew a blank.

I agree, I don't thing the rooms are any bigger, I booked a guarantee and have been assigned this room so was trying to find out what I could the picture make it look shorter but wider but probably the same floor space.

In March we found the Star a very stable ship although the drakes passage on this trip might be a different kettle of fish, with a cabin that far forward, we will see.

Thanks again for taking the time to look, really appreciated 😍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

We are considering booking the star for Iceland and Greenland next year. Can I ask what your general impressions of the ship were - cabins/public areas in good shape? We will be booking a balcony cabin.

Not sure if they have made thier Star cruise yet.

A friend of mine will be boarding The Star this Sunday and plans to do a daily review.  She has already started her thread.  Look for the thread by YVRteacher  "Live From The NCL StarJuly 23-August 15, 2023------"

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Not sure if they have made thier Star cruise yet.

A friend of mine will be boarding The Star this Sunday and plans to do a daily review.  She has already started her thread.  Look for the thread by YVRteacher  "Live From The NCL StarJuly 23-August 15, 2023------"

Hi @www3traveler

Tha ks - I'm already following it!!

I've looked on the website and the ship looks to be in pretty good shape (public areas refurbished recently)  - we have enjoyed the smaller , older royal Caribbean ships and find the service is often better than on the larger ships which have all the glitz and wow factor but can be a bit impersonal at times. The star looks like our type of ship! This cruise is more about the itinerary (Iceland and Greenland) than the ship - as long as its clean , the food is decent and there is some good music to listen to we will be happy- not hard to please!

I stayed in 8501 in June and had a bad experience with the noise and shaking of the cabin when docking or leaving port. There is also a crew passageway in between and you will be able to hear them. If it’s Iceland/Greenland you will tender most ports and avoid most of the noise as another suggested. If you can avoid these rooms I would.

We found the Star to be in very decent shape.

You can find things if you look.

Liked the addition(aft of buffet) of the bar and H20 which is covered. 

Was not used much on the May round Ireland always easy to get a spot.

Aft cabins work well elevators don't get as busy as mid, good access to buffet H2O and bliss.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We just got off and we were in room 8007.  Rooms no bigger than others. 18" on each side of bed. 2 desks.  Bathroom was large.  But, it was soooo noisy!  On tender ports you could hear chains being lowered, anchors.  A lot of banging as well.  Noises started around 4:30 am.  During rough seas there was a metal banging going on. Next cruise I will go for mid ship.