considering Seattle round trip to Alaska June 2024

steverenee

Thinking about a 9 day round trip Seattle to Alaska June 2024, but worried about rough sailing for part of my group.  Any thoughts or experience ? I know it's hard to predict, but I read it's more open water and can get bad.  We're booking late so it will probably be higher deck and not middle of ship

THANKS!

I've done this route twice, heading for the third time soon. I can have issues with motion sickness and generally take bonine every day just to be prepared. I usually try to book rooms low, mid ship, but last time decided to try an aft balcony after hearing all the praise.

My first trip was very rough going up the outside the first day or so. There were "bags" out by every elevator and someone missed the bag in one of them. Spent most of the day in the cabin and when laying down the drawers from the nightstands were going in and out. My DH slept like a baby, me not so much. Very few people out and about, it was just very rough.

The second cruise was much better, even on a higher floor aft - much less motion with this trip.

Avoid the very front of the ship - doesn't seem to matter which floor, this area seems to have the most movement. Obviously the motion doesn't stop me from cruising, or taking this route.

Sadly, I also avoid shore excursions on smaller boats. Tried salmon fishing and felt "green" the entire time.

We have done 6 AK cruises.  4 from SEA and 2 from YVR.   The first sea day out of Seattle can be a bit choppy but not seriously bad.  Of course, if you are prone to motion sickness even a little can be miserable.  I’m sure you know all the things to do and you might wish to ask your doctor if scopalomine patches are right for you.  They can have some serious side effects for people with certain diseases, so do not buy them off the internet or use a friends unless you are medically cleared.

oral medications such as bonine are available without cost at the pursers desk, but you must take them before you have symptoms.

enjoy your cruise.

Also would depend on when in the Season you are planning to sail.  April, May, September, October you could encounter more rough weather than during the Summer months.

I would also suggest going to your doctor and getting meds that are best for you.

The 'rolling' motion felt sometimes leaving and sailing into Seattle can be disturbing to many people. The Pacific Ocean merges with two seas which causes conditions, usually not choppy, but with  large swells. Some people not usually prone to sea sickness can be affected by the slow roll. I took bonine and was not affected, but glad I did.

Been around the outside of Vancouver Island three times now on cruise ships. All of them have had poor weather with low overcast clouds winds and seas. However the ship did not seem to roll, that said we have encountered rolling seas while coming back to Boston from Quebec and along the central American coast prior to the Panama Canal. These cruises had us trying to maintain balance in the hallways.