Alaska {first time}, in fall?

tokidoki

5 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I think it depends on EXACTLY where you're flying out of.  The BOGO air is always much cheaper than we can book but they can never accommodate us for before and after stays.  For example, our upcoming cruise has us disembarking in Quebec City.  We want to spend 2 extra days in Quebec City.  Sounds, doable, right?  It's not.  They want to ship us off to Montreal, us stay there for 2 days and fly from there.  The Quebec City airport is very small and most people will fly out of Montreal.  But we altered our trip a it and are flying from Quebec City to Boston, then spending a week in Maine (much cheaper to fly to Boston and rent a car there than flying to Portland, ME and renting a car there).

So for where we live, NCL BOGO air would be way less expensive almost every single time - if we can get the dates and places right.

You are correct, although cost savings also depends on the destination.  The Quebec/Montreal situation is a known issue, regardless of your home airport - it's spelled out in the T&Cs for the BOGO promo. In fact, I just got a letter from NCL advising that my upcoming trip (ending in QC) might involve leaving from Montreal. And that is exactly why I chose a trip that ended in QC, didn't want to have to deal with getting to QC from Montreal at the start.

I fly from a small regional airport in Oregon and BOGO is usually equal or better except if my destination is also in the west.  But I know I won't be getting a non-stop flight either! On the plus side, I do seem to get better overseas flights because I use up 1 or 2 legs just getting to a hub!

As an Alaskan who has lived her 15 years and who has done the Alaska cruise many times in various months, I’d never recommend a first timer come in October or even September. If you want to save money, then do May. May usually has pretty good weather, much better than September and October when we start getting severe storms. The fall can mean missed ports and limited scenic cruising. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

As an Alaskan who has lived her 15 years and who has done the Alaska cruise many times in various months, I’d never recommend a first timer come in October or even September. If you want to save money, then do May. May usually has pretty good weather, much better than September and October when we start getting severe storms. The fall can mean missed ports and limited scenic cruising. 

Thx! Will go next May

I’m cruising in mid October and there are some excursions that won’t be running due to daylight limitations. Unfortunately my work situation is such that October is the only month I can sail for Alaska. I’ll be bringing a first time cruiser with me but we’re from Ireland and are coastal natives so the weather is unlikely to be a bother for us. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, tokidoki said:

If I take the Encore, then does anyone get off the ship Sat nite for the 4 hour stop?

I'm in Seattle and we can "zip up to Victoria" for long weekends, the four hour stop is only worth it if you have a specific spot in town that you want to see.   Victoria is best explored (even in the rain) on long walks and making time to visit the museum & garden.   We chose not to bother on our first Alaska cruise, and on the one that leaves in eight days we booked a specialty restaurant to celebrate our last night, and won't leave the ship.

It's unfortunate because Victoria is so charming.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, TPgal said:

I'm in Seattle and we can "zip up to Victoria" for long weekends, the four hour stop is only worth it if you have a specific spot in town that you want to see.   Victoria is best explored (even in the rain) on long walks and making time to visit the museum & garden.   We chose not to bother on our first Alaska cruise, and on the one that leaves in eight days we booked a specialty restaurant to celebrate our last night, and won't leave the ship.

It's unfortunate because Victoria is so charming.

We are disappointed about the short stop in Victoria as well, but will make the best of it with a Beaver Tail or two. My bet is that the bottomless pit stomach my 14 has will be able to take down a full one without taking a breath!

Warmest Amy

• Haha 1