We have a direct flight into Madrid that arrives at 6:40 AM. 

I am looking at the Only You Boutique Hotel or the Meliã Madrid Princesa. Would you recommend one over the other?  Is so, why?  Should we be able to take our luggage to our hotel (it will be too early to check in) and make it to a skip the line guided tour at Royal palace by 9:45?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

10 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I am looking at the Only You Boutique Hotel or the Meliã Madrid Princesa. Would you recommend one over the other?  Is so, why?  Should we be able to take our luggage to our hotel (it will be too early to check in) and make it to a skip the line guided tour at Royal palace by 9:45?

OK, I see you're flying i to MAD.

Cannot comment on the two hotels other than I have stayed at Only You Atocha and it was excellent; I believe Only You Boutique is a step up.

How are you planning to travel around Madrid?  Unless you hire taxis, I don't think there is a good chance you'll make the 0945 at the Palace.

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

am looking at the Only You Boutique Hotel or the Meliã Madrid Princesa. Would you recommend one over the other?  Is so, why

We spent a week in Madrid but didn't stay in either of these two.  There must be a few hundred hotels in Madrid so the chances of you getting numerous opinions from cruise pax are minimal, especially as they would have had to stay in both to give a comparison.

Maybe better to read online reviews on hotel booking sitess, guide books  and the likes of Tripadvisor.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

OK, I see you're flying i to MAD.

Cannot comment on the two hotels other than I have stayed at Only You Atocha and it was excellent; I believe Only You Boutique is a step up.

How are you planning to travel around Madrid?  Unless you hire taxis, I don't think there is a good chance you'll make the 0945 at the Palace.

I will check it out. Thanks!  Was it close to the tourist sites?  We were planning on taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel, then walking around the city, but don’t mind taking a taxi if that would get us there on time. 

Edited to add:. I had looked that one up after seeing it on TA. I decided to keep looking because of the location. Someone had recommended staying more centrally located near the attraction rather than the train station. The reviews are excellent. 

19 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

We spent a week in Madrid but didn't stay in either of these two.  There must be a few hundred hotels in Madrid so the chances of you getting numerous opinions from cruise pax are minimal, especially as they would have had to stay in both to give a comparison.

Maybe better to read online reviews on hotel booking sitess, guide books  and the likes of Tripadvisor.

I got those from a travel blog and Trip Advisor. The blogger said that hotel was in an excellent location, but again that’s just one persons opinion. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Neither.  You are only going to be there one night so you need to be within walking distance of the main things you can see in one day.  You need to be in the area between Puerta del Sol and the Teatro Real (opera house).  There are a number of good 3 or 4-star hotels in the area that would be fine for one night.  Good Spanish chains are NH Hotels and Melia, but there are many international chains and independent hotels in the area.  But don't stress about it.  Pick one with decent reviews and you will be fine.

This will allow you to walk to the Plaza Mayor and the Palace.  There are a million good restaurants in the area.  The best and fastest way to get to the area from the airport would be by taxi which could cost you around 60-70€.  The cheap alternative would be subways with one or two changes carrying all you luggage.

The taxi can get you to your hotel in 30-45 minutes.  That means that you could possibly make the 9:45 tour.  All hotels will keep your luggage at the desk.  You can walk from Puerta del Sol square to the Palace in 15 minutes, less time if you are closer to the Opera.  

After the Palace, walk to the Plaza Mayor and after looking around, go down the Arco de Cuchilleros steps to see Casa Botín from the outside (oldest restaurant in the world, great roast pig, $$), and on to Mercado San Miguel for lunch. Here is the walking route.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Royal+Palace+of+Madrid,+C.+de+Bailén,+s%2Fn,+28071+Madrid,+Spain/Plaza+Mayor,+Madrid,+Spain/Casa+Botin,+Calle+de+Cuchilleros,+Madrid,+Spain/Mercado+San+Miguel,+Plaza+de+San+Miguel,+Madrid,+Spain/@40.41607,-3.7131795,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0xd42287e7da4a9c1:0x2e7fec79d6ce4851!2m2!1d-3.714312!2d40.417955!1m5!1m1!1s0xd42287ed85fe0d9:0xd202c4f0d67625e8!2m2!1d-3.707023!2d40.4156181!1m5!1m1!1s0xd42292d0e183a03:0xfe6d0b31cf8abfe5!2m2!1d-3.7079547!2d40.4141769!1m5!1m1!1s0xd42287921196e2d:0x162fe6d34dd190e8!2m2!1d-3.7089697!2d40.4153794!3e2?hl=en&entry=ttu

After that, check in to the hotel and maybe take the ho-ho bus to see the city (not my thing, but it would work for your time frame).  Maybe get out at the Prado Museum and look around.  

The next morning take a taxi to the train station.  

PS - A shopping hint.  When you are in the Plaza Mayor and right at the corner of the Arco de Cuchilleros, there is a store that sells abanicos (fans).  Buy a couple and keep them in your purse.  They will be life savers in the summer heat and so very Spanish!.

I think the shop is Toledo Craft Studios.

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Neither.  You are only going to be there one night so you need to be within walking distance of the main things you can see in one day.  You need to be in the area between Puerta del Sol and the Teatro Real (opera house).  There are a number of good 3 or 4-star hotels in the area that would be fine for one night.  Good Spanish chains are NH Hotels and Melia, but there are many international chains and independent hotels in the area.  But don't stress about it.  Pick one with decent reviews and you will be fine.

This will allow you to walk to the Plaza Mayor and the Palace.  There are a million good restaurants in the area.  The best and fastest way to get to the area from the airport would be by taxi which could cost you around 60-70€.  The cheap alternative would be subways with one or two changes carrying all you luggage.

It looks like the Hotel Europa is in this area. It says they have rooms with a view of Puerta del Sol. Trip Advisor also list both of the Only You Hotels as top 10 hotels near there. 🤷‍♀️ 

37 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It looks like the Hotel Europa is in this area. It says they have rooms with a view of Puerta del Sol. Trip Advisor also list both of the Only You Hotels as top 10 hotels near there. 🤷‍♀️ 

The only you hotels are too far for walking. I just looked and saw the Ocean Drive hotel by the opera. Also Hotel Opera. I haven't stayed there, but it looks good.

I am not crazy about TA's reviews in general.

The Europa looks ok.  Also the Petit Palace. 

Don't forget, it is only one night.

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Look at hotels in the triangle from Teatro Real to Puerta del Sol to Plaza Mayor.  All these hotels will put you within a 15 minute walk of the Royal Palace.  All 3 or 4 stars with guest ratings above 4 (out of 5).

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@40.4171336,-3.7089188,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m16!2m15!3m6!1sHotels!2sMadrid,+Spain!3s0xd422997800a3c81:0xc436dec1618c2269!4m2!1d-3.7037902!2d40.4167754!5m6!3e2!3e3!4e3!5m2!1s2023-08-12!2i3!6e3?hl=en&entry=ttu

I always do a street view of the ones I am interested in. 

Edited by marazul

4 hours ago, marazul said:

The only you hotels are too far for walking. I just looked and saw the Ocean Drive hotel by the opera. Also Hotel Opera. I haven't stayed there, but it looks good.

I am not crazy about TA's reviews in general.

The Europa looks ok.  Also the Petit Palace. 

Don't forget, it is only one night.

The Ocean Drive Hotel looks nice and is close to the palace tour I'd like to do so I booked it.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The Ocean Drive Hotel looks nice and is close to the palace tour I'd like to do so I booked it.  Thanks again!

And it has a pool! I might try it next time.  

You are going to have an amazing trip.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marazul said:

And it has a pool! I might try it next time.  

You are going to have an amazing trip.

Thank you!  We will probably be too tired to use it, but it looks nice.  I appreciate all your help with my planning!!!  I wanted to make that tour early because I will need to keep busy to stay awake. 😆  Our flight is from 4:40-6:40 so our bodies will say it’s 12:40 AM!  I don’t know if we will make it without napping or not. Hope to make it at least till 7 or so and then just go to sleep. Dh is used to missing sleep with his job but I’m not. 

21 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thank you!  We will probably be too tired to use it, but it looks nice.  I appreciate all your help with my planning!!!  I wanted to make that tour early because I will need to keep busy to stay awake. 😆  Our flight is from 4:40-6:40 so our bodies will say it’s 12:40 AM!  I don’t know if we will make it without napping or not. Hope to make it at least till 7 or so and then just go to sleep. Dh is used to missing sleep with his job but I’m not. 

Here is a thought on jetlag and Madrid.  I am a great believer in the "stay up, early supper and bed" theory.  However, in Spain there is no such thing as early supper.  Restaurants open at 8 pm and that is early. (Actually, some restaurants in tourist areas will open earlier.)  In your case, you can take your Palace tour, follow the little itinerary I sent you walking to the Plaza Mayor, down the steps of Arco de Cuchilleros and on to Mercado San Miguel for lunch.  Then you could go to the hotel for a 2-hour siesta (set the alarm), go to the pool for a while, and then have dinner at 8 pm and back to the hotel.  Then you will be on Spanish time.  The next morning take an 11 or 12 o'clock train to Barcelona.  

This method has worked for me.  No guarantees for anyone else!

There are many good restaurants near you, like Taberna del Alabardero, Casa Gallega, Asador Real, etc. You also could go to Botín. https://botin.es/en/menu-botin-en/  You must reserve there. Their signature dish is roast suckling pig, but there is a lot more.  

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Here is a thought on jetlag and Madrid.  I am a great believer in the "stay up, early supper and bed" theory.  However, in Spain there is no such thing as early supper.  Restaurants open at 8 pm and that is early. (Actually, some restaurants in tourist areas will open earlier.)  In your case, you can take your Palace tour, follow the little itinerary I sent you walking to the Plaza Mayor, down the steps of Arco de Cuchilleros and on to Mercado San Miguel for lunch.  Then you could go to the hotel for a 2-hour siesta (set the alarm), go to the pool for a while, and then have dinner at 8 pm and back to the hotel.  Then you will be on Spanish time.  The next morning take an 11 or 12 o'clock train to Barcelona.  

If we’re too tired we’ll take a nap. Biggest problem with that is I’m notorious for turning off alarms and sleeping for a few hours when I’m exhausted. Otherwise we will skip dinner, go to bed early and catch an early train to BCN.   

3 hours ago, marazul said:

There are many good restaurants near you, like Taberna del Alabardero, Casa Gallega, Asador Real, etc. You also could go to Botín. https://botin.es/en/menu-botin-en/  You must reserve there. Their signature dish is roast suckling pig, but there is a lot more.  

I don’t see us making any evening reservations because we may sleep through dinner. Thanks for the recommendations. 

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, marazul said:

Excellent itinerary. Madrid is one of my favorite cities.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 9:49 PM, marazul said:

I thought of these comments on Sunday when I was out with my daughter and her boyfriend (from the north of Spain and Canada).  They had been to the beach just up the coast from Tarifa.  First thing in the morning she said they were a bit peckish because they had had lunch at a beach bar at 4 pm, so they went to bed without supper.   So that is an alternative itinerary - hold out for a late lunch and then just go to bed early.  

Just a thought.  

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Madrid this past April.  It is a nice hotel.  Just a few blocks away is a metro station which is what we used to see the sights. (The hotel supplied us with metro cards although we needed to put money on them at the kiosk, sort of confusing but locals helped us out). Highly recommend visiting Retiro Park which is right across the street from a metro stop. We also wanted to visit the palace, but learned to our dismay that timed entrance .tickets must be purchased in advance

40 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Madrid this past April.  It is a nice hotel.  Just a few blocks away is a metro station which is what we used to see the sights. (The hotel supplied us with metro cards although we needed to put money on them at the kiosk, sort of confusing but locals helped us out). Highly recommend visiting Retiro Park which is right across the street from a metro stop. We also wanted to visit the palace, but learned to our dismay that timed entrance .tickets must be purchased in advance

It’s in our list. Not sure if we will have the energy to get to it but would enjoy seeing it if we’re up for it.