Drinking problem

Wblotner

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Norlan

Zowie! Nice glassware. Too spendy for me but if you can afford it then awesome. (I can afford it but am too tight to spend the money on glassware. 🥴)

The Rauk Heavy Tumbler ($50/ea) looks like what I would prefer. I'd stick with a traditional clear crystal rather than a shaded version. Or do you use the double-walled glass? Inquiring minds want to know...

Edited by Thrak

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Zowie! Nice glassware. Too spendy for me but if you can afford it then awesome. (I can afford it but am too tight to spend the money on glassware. 🥴)

The Rauk Heavy Tumbler ($50/ea) looks like what I would prefer. I'd stick with a traditional clear crystal rather than a shaded version. Or do you use the double-walled glass? Inquiring minds want to know...

I still have teenagers in my house … I’ll wait in this kind of purchase. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

In that case everything should be ala carte and would pay for everything including ice

There are people on CC cheap enough to steal ice from abandoned drinks just to save a nickel and hope that someone doesn’t steal their seat while hunting for ice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

There are people on CC cheap enough to steal ice from abandoned drinks just to save a nickel and hope that someone doesn’t steal their seat while hunting for ice. 

I find this hard to believe. Of course I drink Bourbon, Rye, and Scotch mostly and ice is anathema in that case. (I once had a clod of a bartender put ice into Cognac. I left it on the bar and told him to drink it himself.)

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Thrak said:

double walled,  my son gave then to me a few birthdays ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I find this hard to believe. Of course I drink Bourbon, Rye, and Scotch mostly and ice is anathema in that case. (I once had a clod of a bartender put ice into Cognac. I left it on the bar and told him to drink it himself.)

I was merely commenting on the nickel and dime types. But yes,  I’m surprised you would have to tell a bartender you want cognac neat. Training deficiency? Unfamiliarity?

On 7/29/2023 at 7:43 AM, skynight said:

Agree with the OP. There should be a non alcoholic plus/premier fare that is less in cost than the alcoholic one. 

Especially if they are sharing a cabin with someone who wants the drinks but can't drink themselves.

I have a question. We have cruised Celebrity with a drink package for several years. There is no drink limit on Celebrity. When ordering wine in the MDR, our glasses are topped off frequently with only 1 “charge” showing up on our account. Is this handled the same way on Princess or is each glass of wine equivalent to one “charge” at dinner?

5 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Just leave the drink full at the bar and move on to the next one of the more than 10 bars on any given ship … let the cruise see them full. 

Of course if they actually started to lose money on a package or if the financials deviated from expectations they could just raise the price again.

After all they could estimate the value based upon the number of drinks purchased by people with packages and decide that they had significantly under priced it.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

I have a question. We have cruised Celebrity with a drink package for several years. There is no drink limit on Celebrity. When ordering wine in the MDR, our glasses are topped off frequently with only 1 “charge” showing up on our account. Is this handled the same way on Princess or is each glass of wine equivalent to one “charge” at dinner?

Drinks are not unlimited on Princess nor is your wine "topped off". Each glass of wine is a separate item. Of course, from what I've read here on CC, the package on Celebrity is waaaaaay more expensive than the Princess package and I "think" I also read that it doesn't include the gratuity. (I could be wrong but this is my recollection of what I've read.)

Edited by Thrak

42 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Of course if they actually started to lose money on a package or if the financials deviated from expectations they could just raise the price again.

After all they could estimate the value based upon the number of drinks purchased by people with packages and decide that they had significantly under priced it.

This is the most likely reaction. 

2 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

We found this to be the case with NCL. They were stingy with bottles of wine (understandably), but if you had a drinks package you could get two per order and no one gave it a second thought. 

3 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

How much did the package cost you per person ?

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

One of my friends follows the theory of:  if whisky is spelled with 'ey' then it can have ice but if it is only spelled with 'y' then NO ice!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

One of my friends follows the theory of:  if whisky is spelled with 'ey' then it can have ice but if it is only spelled with 'y' then NO ice!

That may work for some but I prefer my Bourbon and Rye without ice and we spell it whiskey here in the US. I tend to drink my Irish Whiskey neat as well and, of course, as your friend would agree, Scotch Whisky should be consumed neat. To confuse things further Canadian and Japanese spell it Whisky as well and here in the US Maker's Mark and George Dickel leave out the "e" that is normally standard in the US as their founders are of Scottish extraction. Quite the mess.

14 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It doesn’t exactly work this way. By that logic, vegetarians would be asking others to pay for their own meat. Where does that stop?

So by your logic smokers should ask others to pay for their tobacco !

Cruisers from overseas should ask others to pay their air fares.

Etc, etc - bonkers !

Some folk, like my wife, cannot drink alcohol for health reasons - why should she pay for yours?

And if I want the plus package for myself, why does Princess want her to pay for it too?

• Like 2