MSC drinks package - advice please!

Travelbugs2.2

Hi

We’ve never cruised with MSC before, so looking for some advice if possible!

Do MSC sell their drinks packages separately?  If so, how much are they? (Alcohol package).

And if a service charge applies also - what percentage is it?

Also, do they tend to do deals on the packages in advance (ie, but one get one free or a % off) or how / when is the best time to buy?

also, do MSC status match loyalty from other cruise lines?   We have Elite plus with Celebrity and Diamond with RCL

apologies for all the questions and any help / advice much appreciated!

many thanks

T

Hi. Yes they match other cruise lines. There is a status match thread pinned to the top of the MSC board. Use your highest level when filling out the request. 

Edited by ajoneen

5 hours ago, Travelbugs2.2 said:

Hi

Do MSC sell their drinks packages separately?  If so, how much are they? (Alcohol package).

And if a service charge applies also - what percentage is it? - You can have both ways. Included on your base fare from a promotion or paid apart. If paid apart, purchasing beforehand avoids the 15% service charge.

Also, do they tend to do deals on the packages in advance (ie, but one get one free or a % off) or how / when is the best time to buy? - No. They use to have a set baseline promotion for "cruise+drinks" package. No 2 for 1 or similar ones, as far as I have noticed. They used to do some promotion at embarkation day back in the day, but that has been lately suspended. When to book? Preferably before your cruise if there is no VAT tax above 15% on your land market.

also, do MSC status match loyalty from other cruise lines?   We have Elite plus with Celebrity and Diamond with RCL - Yes, they have. Send them your highest level proof with other company and you'll receive corresponding status on MSC from which you'll receive among other things a 5% off your base fare which is the most important perk of them all. In order for you to make your expectations, according to the products you'll better know; I'd think this way: Expect MSC to be somewhat as having a more or less X look and feel with basically RCL service standards.

apologies for all the questions and any help / advice much appreciated! You're welcome! We're here to help one another!...

many thanks

T

45 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

They match loyalty from hotels as well. Use your best. They matched my Marriott Titanium (lifetime) to Diamond.

Do you know if they will only provide loyalty match after you’ve booked -  or can we apply for loyalty match without a booking?

6 hours ago, Travelbugs2.2 said:

Hi

Also, do they tend to do deals on the packages in advance (ie, but one get one free or a % off) or how / when is the best time to buy?

also, do MSC status match loyalty from other cruise lines?   We have Elite plus with Celebrity and Diamond with RCL

many thanks

T

They do status match but don't make the mistake of thinking the benefits are identical.  I'm Diamond on RCL for example, which gives me four free drinks a day and there's nothing like that offered on the MSC match. 

16 hours ago, Travelbugs2.2 said:

Either of those will match to Gold on MSC.

11 hours ago, Travelbugs2.2 said:

Do you know if they will only provide loyalty match after you’ve booked -  or can we apply for loyalty match without a booking?

Preferably BEFORE you book so that the 5% discount is automatically added to your account. Yes, technically you can do at any moment, but their IT department is well known for their mistakes and adding the 5% afterwards may be challenging. Hope to have helped a little bit and have a wonderful Sunday!

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Preferably BEFORE you book so that the 5% discount is automatically added to your account. Yes, technically you can do at any moment, but their IT department is well known for their mistakes and adding the 5% afterwards may be challenging. Hope to have helped a little bit and have a wonderful Sunday!

We status matched prior to ever booking was assigned sliver which gave us the 5% plus booked more then 9 months out so got another 5%. Able to get YC inside for $3200. First time trying MSC so we went with the cheapest cabin in YC. We usually cruise I. The Haven on NcL but there prices have gotten stupid 

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Travelbugs2.2 said:

Hi

many thanks

T

Drinks packages are always cheapest if you add at the time of booking (£30 per day in UK for Premium Extra package). Price to buy after booking is over double the cost (£64), and they have not offered any discounts since I booked in April for my September cruise. Service charges are included in UK, but I believe in US Bookings, they add 15% (I think) on to the price before checking out.

Edited by clarky213

35 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

Drinks packages are always cheapest if you add at the time of booking (£30 per day in UK for Premium Extra package). Price to buy after booking is over double the cost (£64), and they have not offered any discounts since I booked in April for my September cruise. Service charges are included in UK, but I believe in US Bookings, they add 15% (I think) on to the price before checking out.

The £30 a day for PE is currently a special offer for some cruises on selected dates, it's £64 if the offer doesn't apply to your cruise, or you purchase separately. If you buy the drinks package onboard you'll have a 15% service charge added to the cost.

In the UK we have the daily gratuity included too, but this doesn't apply to the US and is a different charge to the 15% drinks service charge. Assuming that's what you were referring to by 'at check out'.