Virgin cruises Aust. Celebrity Edge

Hi

I was wondering if many of  cruise critic members have booked a cruise on the 2 new ships coming to Aust later this year.

I know they are fairly new especially the Virgin one. At the moment the cheapest cabins are round $300aust  per night. 

Do you think they will come down in price as the time get closer to arrival here in Aust.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Regards Zanny

I'm checking the prices for Virgin almost daily. They've gone up since I started watching them. I don't think they'll go down substantially but there may be a better deal before they sail for more 'bar tab' money or OBC. I think that's the best we can hope for. They're a bit on the expensive side yet for me as a solo traveller. Having said that, people rave about the food so it could be worth the money.

I'm interested too. I'll be keeping an eye out for any last minute offers.

Although the itineraries are a bit staid. I mean, how many times can you visit Burnie? They are sailing from Melbourne and can't even be bothered to visit Kangaroo Island. 😕

It looks like they are avoiding any tendering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I'm interested too. I'll be keeping an eye out for any last minute offers.

Although the itineraries are a bit staid. I mean, how many times can you visit Burnie? They are sailing from Melbourne and can't even be bothered to visit Kangaroo Island. 😕

It looks like they are avoiding any tendering.

agreed, not value unless the ship is the destination in itself.

• Like 1

We did have a cruise on Edge booked when it was first announced, but cancelled it a couple of months ago for personal reasons. Edge holds much more appeal for us than Virgin for which I would only pay half the fare in comparison.

Not sure if prices will come down for Virgin, at least not until September. They have just rolled Branson out again, and hinted he might be coming down here to cruise on Resilient Lady this summer, so it looks like they are going to try to hype it till the 11th hour.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

hype is what drives the prices up

Hype can drive demand with the aim that it drives prices up. The demand part of the equation is the tough part for them atm, as the RBA has taken care of a fair chunk of it. Generally, you would wait till after final payment to see what cheap prices are around, but Virgin are a little different in the way they do things. Hard to know if they will handle it any differently.

We booked on Edge as soon as they announced she was sailing from Sydney. Mainly for the novelty value of the ship, but we also liked the itinerary.

I've heard good things about Virgin cruises, but haven't really looked into their schedules or booked anything yet.

I cruised on the edge from Rome back in 2019, I really enjoyed it, was very tempted to book one of the Aussie cruises when they were first released, the prices seemed to skyrocket but now they are settling again.

I would consider Virgin cruises but not really interested 3/4 day booze cruises.

Will be interested to see if both come back next year!

11 hours ago, gogo65 said:

I cruised on the edge from Rome back in 2019, I really enjoyed it, was very tempted to book one of the Aussie cruises when they were first released, the prices seemed to skyrocket but now they are settling again.

I would consider Virgin cruises but not really interested 3/4 day booze cruises.

Will be interested to see if both come back next year!

Both are returning for the 24-25 season ( according to Sydney Ports scedule)

11 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Both are returning for the 24-25 season ( according to Sydney Ports scedule)

Thanks gbenjo, may need to consider end of 2024, have a few trips booked at the moment, but might squeeze another in.

Prices may be higher on Virgin at first glance but almost everything is included except alcohol.

No extra dining cost at specialty restaurants, no extra daily gratuities Plus no under 18's.

As for not wanting to go on a 3/4 day booze cruise there are no drink packages no matter what length cruise you take.

All drinks are pay as you go so no one is trying to drink their package like on other cruiselines.

Daz

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Virgin will frequently offer a "bar tab" of several hundred dollars as a perk during sales.

I've been watching their promotions. In Australia they seem to be offerring $300 per cabin for cruises up to 6 days in length and $600 per cabin for cruises over 6 days. Probably not enough dough to encourage over-doing it!

• 1 month later...

Hi. Just wondering if any one else has booked either of these ships since my first post 6 weeks ago.

Last week we booked the 11 night Auckland to Melbourne cruise in Jan.  On The Resilient  Lady Virgin's Ship.

Includes flight to Auckland  and 2 nights hotel pre cruise also a bar tab.

Overnight in Taurunga. Also cruise goes to Sydney overnight in Circular quay  (which I am looking forward  to then back to Melbourne. 

Regards Zanny

38 minutes ago, Zanny said:

Hi. Just wondering if any one else has booked either of these ships since my first post 6 weeks ago.

Last week we booked the 11 night Auckland to Melbourne cruise in Jan.  On The Resilient  Lady Virgin's Ship.

Includes flight to Auckland  and 2 nights hotel pre cruise also a bar tab.

Overnight in Taurunga. Also cruise goes to Sydney overnight in Circular quay  (which I am looking forward  to then back to Melbourne. 

Regards Zanny

Note - the overnight in Circular Quay has the ship heading out to anchor in the harbour at 4am, so day 2 will be tendering ashore. I figure they won't be mentioning that bit on their site. Sounds like fun to overnight at Tauranga and also overnight next to Taronga Zoo.

I have put some thought into the 4 night Burnie trip from Sydney in February but they are just too expensive ATM, but it might be still a possibility if the prices drop by 60%. $330 pp/pn for undersold inside cabins is crazy.

48 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Note - the overnight in Circular Quay has the ship heading out to anchor in the harbour at 4am, so day 2 will be tendering ashore. I figure they won't be mentioning that bit on their site. Sounds like fun to overnight at Tauranga and also overnight next to Taronga Zoo.

I have put some thought into the 4 night Burnie trip from Sydney in February but they are just too expensive ATM, but it might be still a possibility if the prices drop by 60%. $330 pp/pn for undersold inside cabins is crazy.

We got all ours for $2800 (not including Adelaide to Melbourne  domestic return but includes .international Mel to Auckland.  

Sea Terrace balcony with the hammock.

Thanks for information regarding Sydney (I wasn't  aware of that .

Regards Zanny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zanny said:

We got all ours for $2800 (not including Adelaide to Melbourne  domestic return but includes .international Mel to Auckland.  

Sea Terrace balcony with the hammock.

Thanks for information regarding Sydney (I wasn't  aware of that .

Regards Zanny

Your package works out well. Maybe the Feb 4 nighter will get cheaper in a month or so too.

For now, a cabin on Resilient Lady for the 4 nights in Feb to Burnie or Hobart & back will cost the two of us $2636. We could book a 4 nighter for the two of us on Majestic Princess in March for $998. Even with inclusive Premier package fares, they are still much cheaper at $1758.