San Diego Weather

mame42

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

A quick Google search ( "January San Diego weather") will get you tons of data.

San Diego is known as the "mildest" weather in the US.

Thanks for the reply.  However, while Google is helpful, it is not the same as 1st hand impressions of someone who lives in the area.

• Like 1

It will be foggy/gloomy here, likely (especially at coast, less so inland) but not downright cold.  Should be fine for a light jacket if drizzling or sweatshirt if just cool.  As others have said, you can google the exact temps and days of average rain historically, but there is rarely a bad time to visit Americas Finest City! Enjoy. 

47 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

It will be foggy/gloomy here, likely (especially at coast, less so inland) but not downright cold.  Should be fine for a light jacket if drizzling or sweatshirt if just cool.  As others have said, you can google the exact temps and days of average rain historically, but there is rarely a bad time to visit Americas Finest City! Enjoy. 

Thank you!  It sounds similar to our January weather here in New Orleans.  I am sure I will enjoy the city; the last time I visited San Diego I was 11 years old and it was high summer.

It was much colder and wet this past winter so the Google info may not reflect that. I've heard that we are to expect the same type of winter this year. Maybe just check when your departure date gets closer. Enjoy SD!!

9 hours ago, mame42 said:

Thanks for the reply.  However, while Google is helpful, it is not the same as 1st hand impressions of someone who lives in the area.

Yep, impressions are different from the actual,  multi decade statistical data. Science bad, personal opinion good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, maisie dormouse said:

I have been to SD five times in March 03, Nov 09, Sept 11, May 14, Nov 19 and said it was always warm/hot/too hot and sunny for us Scots but in Nov 2019 it finally rained on us

Thanks to all for your input.  One's perspective certainly changes according to where one lives!  Since I am from New Orleans, I am nearly always cold elsewhere.

Temp's will be about the same all year around.  The difference between the coldest in the winter and the highest in the summer is 14 degrees (not NOLA).  The main difference is the marine layer and if it ever burns off during the day.  It can be 68 and clear blue sky which feels hot or it can be the same and overcast then feel damp and cold.  Plan for both.  

4 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Temp's will be about the same all year around.  The difference between the coldest in the winter and the highest in the summer is 14 degrees (not NOLA).  The main difference is the marine layer and if it ever burns off during the day.  It can be 68 and clear blue sky which feels hot or it can be the same and overcast then feel damp and cold.  Plan for both.  

And as you mentioned, @mame42 I suspect you may feel a bit chilly! 😉

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

As someone who lives in San Diego, temps in January should be mid 60’s during the day, mid 40’s at night.   Days will be sunny.   Current temps are in the mid-80’s - low 90’s. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kiwimum said:

As someone who lives in San Diego, temps in January should be mid 60’s during the day, mid 40’s at night.   Days will be sunny.   Current temps are in the mid-80’s - low 90’s. 

You must not be on the coast.  Rosarito has been sunny and low 70's for several weeks and probably several more.  But as you well know there's a huge difference in weather just a mile inland at either SD or Rosarito.  I can't recall ever having 40's along the coast, at least in the last three years.  But mid 60's in January is about right.  

5 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

You must not be on the coast.  Rosarito has been sunny and low 70's for several weeks and probably several more.  But as you well know there's a huge difference in weather just a mile inland at either SD or Rosarito.  I can't recall ever having 40's along the coast, at least in the last three years.  But mid 60's in January is about right.  

I was thinking the same thing. Ive lived in the same zip code of the port for ten years plus.  It’s by the water! so very rare to see 40s, ever.  And currently we are just touching 80 or slightly over,  but no where near 90. Kiwimom must be based far inland.  The fluctuations on the coast are minimal.  

On 8/1/2023 at 6:25 AM, mame42 said:

What kind of weather can I expect in early January in San Diego?

Better weather than anyplace else in the U.S. at that time.

Mild days, cool nights. In January 2023, 20 of 31 nights, the overnight low was in the 40's.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, scottca075 said:

Better weather than anyplace else in the U.S. at that time.

Mild days, cool nights. In January 2023, 20 of 31 nights, the overnight low was in the 40's.

We were in Rosarito all of January and don't recall it getting even close to the 40's along the coast.  

49 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We were in Rosarito all of January and don't recall it getting even close to the 40's along the coast.  

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/coronado/92118/january-weather/332089

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/san-diego/92101/january-weather/347628

In each case, the weather station quoted is city hall (San Diego & Coronado). The San Diego City Hall is in the same Downtown neighborhood as the cruise port.

5 hours ago, scottca075 said:

PS

https://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/playas-de-rosarito/231753/january-weather/231753

Rosarito had 18 overnight lows in the 40s and 2 overnight lows in the 30s.

Accuweather is what most of San Diego's news stations use as their underlying site.

I'm calling BS it has never been in the 30's the last three years we have been there in January or any time of the year for that matter.  However, weather.com does show SD had one day at 40 in January 2023 with Rosarito having several. Shocking to me!   Coronado had one day at 39 and a bunch in the mid to high 40's.  I guess it's a "dry" cold.  

On 8/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I'm calling BS it has never been in the 30's the last three years we have been there in January or any time of the year for that matter.  However, weather.com does show SD had one day at 40 in January 2023 with Rosarito having several. Shocking to me!   Coronado had one day at 39 and a bunch in the mid to high 40's.  I guess it's a "dry" cold.  

Look at the link below. Weather.com shows the overnight low for Rosarito Beach as 39° on January 23 & 24. The very cold overnights is why So Cal fruit orchards used smudge pots to keep their fruit from freezing.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/Playas+de+Rosarito+Baja+California+Mexico?canonicalCityId=66cd179481d4dcef531c1a4c322300d5f72ae795af041dd998df439433d4124c

January is the rainy season, so you may (or may not) get some rain.  Also, January frequently has a weather condition called a Santa Ana.  These usually persist for a few days and consist of hot, dry desert winds.  Temperatures go up into the 80s during the day.  Checking a 10-day forecast before you go will tell you if this is happening or not.

Others are mentioning weather reports.  In my experience, a typical weather forecast will say, "major storm on the way bringing an inch of rain on Sunday".  The reality will be a few sprinkles on Tuesday.

A word of caution.  Even if it's in the 70s or 80s, don't plan on swimming in the ocean without a wet suit.  The water is always cold during the winter.

January San Diego, you will be fine to dress in layers. Probably pants/jeans, light weight shirt and a sweatshirt would be perfectly fine. Could be a gorgeous 70 day, but on the ocean will be cooler. This recent winter was the coldest we’ve had in years. 

San Diego has near perfect weather year round, but we’re weather wimps here. 60 is really cold & anything over 85 is really hot to us. 😆 

• Thanks 1