What would you do?

tonit964

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I would vote for flying to FLL. We've only done that once, but the luggage handling was superior. Sacramento is our home airport, and it's a real hassle trying to get a decent flight back. Of course, that may not be true for you. Another reason I'd do it that way is that I think of long flights as painful nuisances, so if I front-load the pain then the return from the cruise isn't so bad. Or so I think.

We've only done it West to East but, like you, our "local" airport is SMF and getting flights from FLL to Sacramento is a drag. Long layovers in other airports "along the way" which, in the case of O'Hare, is definitely not actually "along the way". There are never any non-stop flights between these airports and it takes a crazy long time to get back home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I would only do the Panama Canal cruise for the first time on a ship small enough to fit through the old locks.  On Princess, that means the Island or Coral. 

Yes, it’s the Coral. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your very informative input. I appreciate all your responses. There are definitely pros and cons to both.

I booked the embarkation from LA and will fly home from FL after the cruise.

I’ve been to Florida several times before so it will save on a night or two hotel stay which will also help because I have the dreaded solo supplement. 

I’m excited about this cruise, my dad and I were booked on the 21 day RT from LA

(he wouldn’t fly) but unfortunately, he lost his battle with lung cancer in late 2019. We would have been cancelled anyway with the pandemic.

Happy cruising everyone!

Toni

• Like 8

Did not read all posts.  Here’s my take.

I would do FLL to LA for the following reasons.

**** most important**** you gain an hour each tie change.  And you get the Bridge of America in the afternoon.

Flying is the pits either way from LA.  Either have to overnight in FLL or take a red eye.  If you try to fly back to CA, you have to take a very early flight due to limited afternoon flights. 

Easy walk off and go home from LA. No stress.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Did not read all posts.  Here’s my take.

I would do FLL to LA for the following reasons.

**** most important**** you gain an hour each tie change.  And you get the Bridge of America in the afternoon.

Flying is the pits either way from LA.  Either have to overnight in FLL or take a red eye.  If you try to fly back to CA, you have to take a very early flight due to limited afternoon flights. 

Easy walk off and go home from LA. No stress.

Ok, the limited flights back to LA is a major factor, thank you for that info. 
Decisions, decisions. 

12 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Decisions, decisions. 

One thing to be aware of if flying back from Fort Lauderdale. Don't arrive for your flight way in advance. We got to the airport fairly early and "thought" we would be able to check through and spend the wait time inside. You know, grab some chairs, maybe have a drink and relax while waiting. Nope. There was nobody from our airline at the check in place so, along with an incredible number of other people, we had to wait in the foyer. There were people standing, sitting on the floor, sitting on the edge of the flower beds, leaning against the walls, lying on the floor, etc. for hours. It was really very unpleasant and there was a huge number of extremely unhappy people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Decisions, decisions. 

Whenever we disembark in Ft Lauderdale, we always fly home from Miami International Airport.  It is an easy taxi ride to the airport.

There are lots of non-stop flights to LAX and at lower prices than flying home from Ft Lauderdale.

We usually fly via American Airlines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I’m looking at an Ocean to Ocean Panama Canal cruise. 
Should  I fly to Florida on the front end of the cruise or fly back to Los Angeles after the cruise?

What are the pros & cons of each?

TIA!

Toni

I am also in Los Angeles.  I always fly to Florida first, then cruise back to Los Angeles.  My reasoning is,  Flying to Florida first ( a few days early) gives a chance to get over the Jetlag from the Red Eye Flight.  Reason # 2,...  If i buy a big souvenir ( like a piece of hanging art, or those ceramic birds to hang on my balcony), I don't have to worry about trying to pack them so they won't break ( no return luggage to check).  Reason #3...lets say you get off ship in Los Angeles ( your home port) around 8-9 am,  you will be in your house no later than noon, while the other way ( flying back home from Florida)..you won't get into your house way after dark, tired ,and then having to deal with jet lag the next day or two.

• Thanks 1

We have done 11 transits total, both directions. Everything else aside, the time changes always made Westbound, from Florida far more pleasant. Hard to not be sleep deprived on an Eastbound unless you are willing to miss some activities. The bridge view is also best Westbound if it is not obscured by pouring rain. We far prefer old locks to the new. Old locks are a fascinating engineering marvel with lots of history and beautiful landscape. Plus the mules-no mules in the new locks. New locks, for us, were boring by comparison and without jungle views, only lots of concrete and gravel.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, that said:

In our experience, prefer to board in LA, no airtravel considerations for luggage or delays and then fly home after the cruise.

Good point about luggage handling during departure.   If luggage is lost on the return flight home, who cares!   

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, that said:

In our experience, prefer to board in LA, no airtravel considerations for luggage or delays and then fly home after the cruise.

Good point about luggage handling during departure.  And in the unlikely event luggage gets lost on the return flight home the cruise isn't impacted!     

• Thanks 1