Comparison of Princess Platinum and Elite Benefits Between 2019 and today

Guest ldtr

42 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Stacking OBC is not an Elite benefit but will impact everyone who has both and thought exchanging the mini bar for a coffee card was a goodie given and not a guarantee written in the Elite benefits. If it is, I totally looked over that statment.  Not saying paying the $7.50 per day for internet or having it included in the Plus package wasn't a change.  Pre pause I do know from personal experience and waiting in the internet cafe, the cruises I was on had more than a few coming into the cafe with a sob story of "all my minutes are gone' from not signing off properly.  I was one of those.  I like the unlimited minutes now as I don't have to worry about signing off. 

The limited number of minutes was the bane of my existence during cruises when I was still working.  I would have paid in blood for an unlimited plan back then. I too remember the number of people complaining about how their minutes vanished, both those with free minutes and those that purchased them.

At this point the people that will be impact for the OBC stack change will fall into 4 categories.  1 Solo cruisers.  2. Couples where both are military veterans, that can no longer triple dip. 3. Those that collected veterans but did not spend it on board and often did not plan on spending it on board 4. Those couples that are unaware of the details and do not shift their stock ownership to the non-veteran.

While this has certainly hit some, for most of us the impact can be managed.   Though I suspect that requirements might get even tighter in the future.  I primarily sailed on Celebrity back when they removed the ability to stack OBC and  made it more difficult to even get their share holder benefits.

Benefits are marketing programs that only continue to exist as long as they meet their goals defined by the company offering them.

I wonder if the recent addition of a veterans benefit on HAL might be an effort to provide another option for some Princess passengers.  Some of the changes that Princess is making (moving to a class system on Sun and Star), adding a few more family friendly features, even larger average ship size, etc.  While HAL is still  without a class system, adding a veterans benefit, and keeping its smaller average ship size might make it more attractive to some Princess cruisers.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

the only real changes have been the loss of a few free (useless) internet minutes 

I think you have an incorrect perception of internet pre-MedallionNet. I’m not saying it was without weakness but I was able to publish nine years of a blog with that free “useless” internet.  I found it very useful and the price was right too. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I certainly find value in the mini-bar swap.  I get whole bottle of beer for a measly sip of a liquor I don't want.  10 beers is a $70 current menu value - not counting the 18% gratuity.  Then 10 Perrier is another chunk of value.  With today's prices, I wouldn't be surprise to find that over $30 easily.  So my mini-bar rings up at plenty enough over $100.  Even if they still had the coffee program, I'd just have my wife buy it for herself and keep the mini-bar.

In my case I used to get 1 blended mocha a day and buy my diet cokes.  Now I get my diet cokes free and have to buy my blended mocha,  End result I get fewer blended mochas on board ship and a few more in coffee shops in ports.  Unfortunately it is still cheaper to buy them on board then in most on shore coffee shops.

2 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I think you have an incorrect perception of internet pre-MedallionNet. I’m not saying it was without weakness but I was able to publish nine years of a blog with that free “useless” internet.  I found it very useful and the price was right too. 

The days of pre-typing everything, answering e-mails off line, then connecting and uploading everything during the 15 minutes of connect time one had each day.  Counting the minutes whenever it was slow to connect.  Those were the days🙂

Edited by ldtr

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yes, prepping off-line was a good strategy to employ.  But being online certainly drained the minutes for me quickly.  I was always buying extra packages.  I am probably an exception because I managed to run out of minutes in Winter 2018 when I had 2200 at one point (S.A. Circle Voyage).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, prepping off-line was a good strategy to employ.  But being online certainly drained the minutes for me quickly.  I was always buying extra packages.  I am probably an exception because I managed to run out of minutes in Winter 2018 when I had 2200 at one point (S.A. Circle Voyage).

Do not forget the sitting in anyplace where you could get free wifi on shore to save your on ship minutes.  

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Do not forget the sitting in anyplace where you could get free wifi on shore to save your on ship minutes.  

You mean stalking crew members to find out where you could get free wifi on shore to save your ship minutes?  🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Having the package basically gives us back the unlimited internet we had years ago, but at a cost. But some might call that a degradation of benefits.  😉

The reality is that it doesn’t really matter how slow the WiFi is, provided it works at all, if it is unlimited. The always on feature allows scam calls to find me in Glacier Bay, which I’m not sure is a benefit. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kamelia said:

You mean stalking crew members to find out where you could get free wifi on shore to save your ship minutes?  🤭

They did know all of the best places.

13 minutes ago, kamelia said:

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It's in almost every port now + there's always a Starbucks 

We normally have more things to do of interest at a port than sit around in a crowded internet cafe when I can do computer stuff in my cabin in comfort and air conditioning.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We normally have more things to do of interest at a port than sit around in a crowded internet cafe when I can do computer stuff in my cabin in comfort and air conditioning.

I have to admit that I'm rather glad to have been "forced" into, as you say, unlimited comfort and air conditioning. 😉

49 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I certainly find value in the mini-bar swap.  I get whole bottle of beer for a measly sip of a liquor I don't want.  10 beers is a $70 current menu value - not counting the 18% gratuity.  Then 10 Perrier is another chunk of value.  With today's prices, I wouldn't be surprise to find that over $30 easily.  So my mini-bar rings up at plenty enough over $100.  Even if they still had the coffee program, I'd just have my wife buy it for herself and keep the mini-bar.

That is great for those who drink.  Those who don't get at best $15 of soda, and I now have to pay $80 for coffee.  Like I keep saying, value is individual to each person's scenario.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

You have been making blanket statements about the entire program.  As a result it creates the impression that the program is going away. 

No idea how you got that.  I always said benefits were being reduced.  As to those who aren't elite yet, they can see what benefits are there when they attain it, as they will surely change more between now and then.

I'm a bit confused by this new green/blue/mauve/orange/black boarding system. There used to be a line for "Suite and Elite" during checkin. (This March, we hit the twofer.)  Anyway, I cannot find the announcement where Princess says that they no longer have expedited checkin for Elite. Have they junked that perk for Elite, with this new system?

We DO love the laundry deal, and are OK with the 50% off internet deals. Also, we often attended the special pupus in Skywalker for Elite, and were very happy with the debarkation lounge and priority.

Unlike some folks who've posted here, we actually benefited several times with tender priority. (On another cruise line that will remain nameless, we are 5-star. On our 2018 World Cruise, they said that 5-star was worthless, and everyone had to stand in line for tenders anyway. Not pleased about that.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

That is great for those who drink.  Those who don't get at best $15 of soda, and I now have to pay $80 for coffee.  Like I keep saying, value is individual to each person's scenario.

Actually you get 20 cans of soda if you trade everything for that.  At shipboard prices that comes out to $50-60 dollars.

Just now, bobnsandi said:

I'm a bit confused by this new green/blue/mauve/orange/black boarding system. There used to be a line for "Suite and Elite" during checkin. (This March, we hit the twofer.)  Anyway, I cannot find the announcement where Princess says that they no longer have expedited checkin for Elite. Have they junked that perk for Elite, with this new system?

We DO love the laundry deal, and are OK with the 50% off internet deals. Also, we often attended the special pupus in Skywalker for Elite, and were very happy with the debarkation lounge and priority.

Unlike some folks who've posted here, we actually benefited several times with tender priority. (On another cruise line that will remain nameless, we are 5-star. On our 2018 World Cruise, they said that 5-star was worthless, and everyone had to stand in line for tenders anyway. Not pleased about that.)

If you notice the post 3.  That is one of the benefits that have changed.  It is now priority boarding, not priority check in.  While they have had separate lines for Platinum/Elite/Suites the number of people with that status often made them as longer or longer then the regular line.  Then with the Medallion System (hardware/software system not just the device) they went to Green and Blue.

They still have the separate waiting areas for Elite and Platinum for those that get there early before the ship has started board.  Those in that area will board first.  Once the waiting area is cleared then everyone can just walk on as soon as they check in so no value at that point.

19 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

No idea how you got that.  I always said benefits were being reduced.  As to those who aren't elite yet, they can see what benefits are there when they attain it, as they will surely change more between now and then.

Any of these look familiar

Good luck with their being any when you get there. They are fading fast.

Princess has cut out almost all loyalty benefits. Loyalty is a thing of the past with Princess, and all cruise lines generally.

There seems to be little to no benefit to being Elite anymore. Laundry is still there I guess, but we quit using it because they lost clothing. Swapping the minibar used to be decent with the coffee exchange, but now you don't get much. If they are giving priority boarding to package people, then that is gone too.

Princess has no need anymore to be loyal. Trading black for blue makes them more money. Simple economics. How you respond as a past passenger is up to each person.

I wouldn't say that based upon the fact that these change now seems to be happening at an accelerated rate. Benefits to loyal passengers being removed and regular increases in price and changes to packages

Princess does not care about your loyalty, or mine

I think there was a "special" package for elite, so yes, that would be another. How many benefits are there left is probably a better question at this point.

In fact, that probably saves the cruise line money if there are still any loyalty benefits worth any money left.

Yes, benefits are being reduced from people who had them prior.  It's not impossible to think they will do away with any of them of value.  Look at the changes you listed and others mentioned by myself and others.  

If the goal is to show those striving to attain the status, just focus on the current benefits, and ignore any that have changed.  

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yeah, I usually lose 15 minutes just checking important stuff from 3 kids while having tea in a Cafe. Nothing else matters

Edited by Ombud

58 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Very true last sentence as various posts reveal from an almost infinite number of perspectives. 

Even if 20 sodas do cost quite a bit more than $15.  😉

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Just to note that when the coffee card program went away there was no coffee card to trade for 

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just to note that when the coffee card program went away there was no coffee card to trade for 

If every elite who thinks that Princess has abandoned them would actually leave the line I could be guaranteed most traveled lunch / party every cruise. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

I did use the past tense.  😁.  IIRC, two coffee programs used to be worth maybe $75 (no more than $80).  Been quite a while and I forget the number.  Beers were probably $6 then - I wouldn't know.  Anyway, it's all in the past and it didn't kill me (but I am aware it was a blow to others).  I always wanted the option to trade half a mini-bar for one coffee card (for wife as I don't drink any of that), but that never came to be, so NBD to us.  We just pay-as-you-go for the stuff we don't get free. 

Not an Elite thing, but I hope they don't kill the wine program nor go over-board with the corkage fee.

Edited by Steelers36