QM2 Britannia´s dinner menus?

lucas34

I have been thinking about a cruise on the QM2 and would be interested in seeing Britannia restaurant's dinner menus for this year if anyone has any?

Is there a charge for cappuccino at dinner?

Does QM2 still have a lobster dinner and can you get another one without an additional charge, as is the case with so many other cruise lines?

Have there been noticeable changes in food quality or selections since the pandemic?

They will offer a coffee and petit-fours service in Britannia but cappuccino isn't part of that service. In theory you could try to get a chargeable cappuccino but in reality it's best to wander off to one of the bars or Carinthia to get this (at a cost).

There aren't add-ons in Britannia, but for lobster you best go to Steakhouse at The Verandah, which is an extra charge. I can't recall a QM2 Britannia main meal with lobster, but there have been lobster starters and lobster bisque.

I personally don't think that food quality has declined since 2019, the menu may have slightly fewer options, but I'm not even convinced about that. The main course vegetarian is often quite interesting these days (which wasn't always the case) plus unfortunately I eat anything so I'm OK Jack.  But it's a bit subjective, there are people out there who would disagree and they will have different experiences.

• Like 1

We were on QM2 for 14 days in June this year, I don't have copies of the Dinner menus but there was no lobster. Surf and Turf on the 3rd formal night was made with prawns.

Lobster was on offer last October on Queen Victoria so for me the reduction in selections came this year rather than immediately post pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Chart Room Princess said:

You can get cappuccino after dinner for no fee in Britannia, just ask. We did this on our last cruise on QM2 in November 2022 and on QV in June 2023. 

Lobster is generally only on a formal night when they offer surf and turf.

Just to clarify re Cappuccino & Latte  in the 'Britannia Restaurant'  ( or even in the Grills ) those Cappuccino or lattes requested in the Restaurants are direct  from a Machine  ( in the Galley ) and are NOT the usual speciality coffees prepared from a 'Barista' that one is use to in coffee shops . Completely different in taste. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The Lobster Bisque was offered twice last fall on our 26 night sailing - as presented it was entirely unlike the style common in New England. I would not recommend ordering it.

In December, 2022 the lobster bisque was not what I call a lobster bisque. It was white with rice sized bits of lobster, not good at all. In July, 2023, QM2, QG, it was back to being true lobster bisque with hunks of lobster half the size of my full thumb. I mentioned the problem in December or Osman and complimented the chef through him for the improvement.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The Lobster Bisque was offered twice last fall on our 26 night sailing - as presented it was entirely unlike the style common in New England. I would not recommend ordering it.

I don't want to sound snarky, but I am surprised you would not recommend something simply because it was not what you are accustomed to in your area.  

I have often had food items in various provinces and countries that are prepared differently than what I am used to. But that doesn't mean they weren't good. Some I  have liked and others not much. 

Two of my favourite restaurants in Toronto offer lobster bisque. One is fabulous and the other is just all right. Of course, there is a considerable price difference.  (This has got me thinking it's time to visit the one with the better soup.)

We discussed this during the cruise on the occasion of a chance encounter with a Cunard 'Developmental Executive Chef'. He stated that the brown stuff we were served the previous week did not match his approved recipe.

His recipe included cream, sherry and lobster meat and stock - and should have yielded something similar to the pinkish cream bisque common in New England seafood places [e.g. the Lobster Pot in Provincetown MA]

@david,Mississauga In defense of @TheOldBear the bisque that was served really wasn’t good. It had nothing to do with what the style is you are accustomed to. The soups in QG are really really good and I always order them. But the lobster bisque in December was not good. My post #8 describes the lack of lobster. True lobster bisque is made with the stock of the lobster shell, and that means it has the pink/red color.

• Like 1