connect time JFK

Pearl64

We are flying to Athens October 31 on Delta. Originally our flight left GSP at 7 am but it is now changed to 10 something. We have a little over an hour in Atlanta to get to our gate for our flight to JFK. That is close but if our GSP flight is ontime we should make it but no dilly dallying. We then have two hours at JFK to catch the flight to Athens. We are traveling in Premium Select for the last leg. Not sure if that makes a difference. Is there enough time to catch our flight to Athens? I know we will probably not have time for the restroom before we board. Since Delta made these changes, will they make changes even with an award ticket? I thought I had padded connection times but Delta schedule changed. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

41 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

2 hours at JFK should be fine.

Especially since:

1) This is an outbound connection going FROM the USA, and

2) Delta has consolidated all of their operations into T4.

However, I am not certain why DL changed you from a 7am departure to one three hours later.  Since they are operating this itinerary:

DL 2971  GSP-ATL  06:55 - 07:57

DL 2286  ATL-JFK   09:18 - 11:45

I'd be on the phone with DL.

Good question. I checked these flights. The GSP flight does not have any more comfort plus seats. Its a 26 minute flight so we could stand economy. I think I will call them. My husband and I are on different tickets as we both used our miles. At least they have us together. I made these flight arrangements back in December. I realize Delta changes its flights but I do want to get to Athens! I wonder how long I will be on hold to reach a person. Thank you Flyer Talker.

1 hour ago, Pearl64 said:

Good question. I checked these flights. The GSP flight does not have any more comfort plus seats. Its a 26 minute flight so we could stand economy. I think I will call them. My husband and I are on different tickets as we both used our miles. At least they have us together. I made these flight arrangements back in December. I realize Delta changes its flights but I do want to get to Athens! I wonder how long I will be on hold to reach a person. Thank you Flyer Talker.

You have a number of options for contacting customer service.  Call and hold, call and leave a number you can be reached when you reach the top of the queue, message them through the app, or private message through Twitter.  I typically use the app to message them with great results.

Good luck.

Thats good to know about leaving a message on the app. I usually avoid the phone as my fingers are too fat and I am too old school. I'm on hold now--supposedly only a little bit longer. I'll report back on what Delta says.

Finally connected with a Delta rep close to the time they said. I was able to change the flights back close to our original ones. I was able to get the flights Flyer Talker suggested. Yes, we have a sizable. Amount of time at JFK but that will allow us time for something to eat and relax before the long flight to Athens. We may have been able to have made those flights but my nerves are much happier. Had it been on the way home we may have chanced it but not on the way to a cruise. Thanks to everyone’s help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

Finally connected with a Delta rep close to the time they said. I was able to change the flights back close to our original ones. I was able to get the flights Flyer Talker suggested. Yes, we have a sizable. Amount of time at JFK but that will allow us time for something to eat and relax before the long flight to Athens. We may have been able to have made those flights but my nerves are much happier. Had it been on the way home we may have chanced it but not on the way to a cruise. Thanks to everyone’s help.

You've already handled it, but I was also going to suggest that when you call Delta, I would see if there's a morning nonstop to JFK from GSP that you could take instead.  While originally it may have been priced differently, the fact that they changed your flight by 3 hours probably would have been enough to ask to switch to the nonstop to JFK.  At this point, just something to tuck away for next time!

That would be great if that existed. I just checked and all flights from GSP go through Atlanta. There are flights to LaGuardia but then one has to get to JFK. Perhaps it is a seasonal routing.

38 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

That would be great if that existed. I just checked and all flights from GSP go through Atlanta. There are flights to LaGuardia but then one has to get to JFK. Perhaps it is a seasonal routing.

There are also routings via DTW, but I'd prefer ATL because you have many more operational options should issues arise.

Guess what! Delta just changed my husband’s flights again. They changed them back to the. 10 am departure from GSP and only two hours in JFK. I am furious. I will call in the morning. I’m too tired to deal with this tonight. The agent last night linked our flights as we both used our own miles. I’m glad I can hopefully sort this out now instead of waiting till we are at the airport. I guess we are not to fly together. At least the flight to Athens has stayed the same. I will share how this saga continues.

21 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

Sorry, out of CHS we can get nonstops to both JFK and LGA and I figured GSP was a large enough market to be the same.

That said, what time does your flight leave JFK?  It's not the most ideal to have to get from LGA to JFK, but if DL keeps changing you back to the later flight to ATL, you COULD consider the early morning nonstop to LGA, and then transfer to JFK.  You probably have time.  I'd prefer just getting back on the earlier flight to ATL, but if that continues to have issues, GSP>LGA/JFK could be a plan B

Edited by waterbug123

One would think GSP was large enough but no dice.  I think what happened with the reservation is that I happened to notice the change before they sent notice out of the change and changed it. The agent said something about my SkyMiles account but I didn't catch what she said. I checked today. On the Delta website everything is correct but on the app it has the reservation before I changed it. I'm going to let it sit awhile but not too long to see if it corrects itself. I need to remember to check CHS as flights might be just as easy out of there. Traffic will still be busy but it would be a lot better than Atlanta!

Thanks again.

13 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

At least the flight to Athens has stayed the same.

But don't forget to keep watching for this one as well. 31 October 2023 is at the beginning of the next international scheduling season (northern winter 2023/24), and we will soon be in the period when airlines make final decisions about (and final adjustments to) international schedules for that season.

On 8/8/2023 at 10:46 AM, Pearl64 said:

I need to remember to check CHS as flights might be just as easy out of there. Traffic will still be busy but it would be a lot better than Atlanta!

Thanks again.

CHS used to be an ugly little hole-in-the-wall airport, but a few years back they completed a soup-to-nuts renovation and expansion and it's actually really nice now, for a second or third tier airport.  Several nonstops a day to both LGA and JFK on Delta as well, if you're a Sky Miles loyalist.  We even got a Priority Pass lounge during the reno.  It's small, but given that there was no lounge at all before, it's a nice little addition.

Brititsh Air had added a seasonal twice weekly nonstop to London the summer before Covid hit, and has never put it back on the schedule post-covid.  That was huge, because it was the first and only nonstop to Europe from CHS.  I keep hoping Virgin will come in offer that route in the wake of BA's departure but no luck so far.