Lost luggage reassurance....

Mauzac

We are on Ovation Norway and Northern Cape and disaster!

KLM have lost our luggage.  Because we have flown and sailed all over the world with SB and when doing long haul I put a few bits in hand luggage...because this was a quick hop over to Copenhagen from UK, we flew with nothing but the clothes we stood up in.  I know I know...we were stupid. 😥

SB Guest Services are progressing it but due to the remote locations of the ports they cannot say for definite we will be reunited with our luggage during the cruise.

The point of my post is...(apart from a cathartic whinge!)  I understand that over the last few weeks on this itinerary they have had 7 cases like this and I wondered if anyone reading this had this happen and had been reunited with their luggage?

Edited by Mauzac

Delivery of lost luggage is the responsibility of the operating airline, not the cruiseline.  So I am not sure what you are expecting from SB.  Look to KLM for them moving your bags to an appropriate point.

The only issue where SB might be involved is having the port agent move the bags through the port area to the ship.

And finally, whether or not someone else in the past got luggage delivered to them is irrelevant to whether a missing bag will find its way to you.  Their circumstances were different than yours, and so will be their resolution.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 2

Oh. Right.😥

I was just a bit down about it all, and your post has really not helped

When booking flights through SB flight ease I twice questioned a tight connection and was reassured that it was fine so I do feel SB bear some responsibility 

• Like 5

Do you know where the bags actually are? I'm not sure where Ovation is right now but if the bags' location is known I would say if you're calling at Stavanger, Bergen or Tromso they are your best chances of getting the bags before you fly home.

In the past we have known SB to make considerable effort to work with the airline to reunite guests with their luggage, even if Flight Ease wasn't used, but it's challenging for your itinerary. We had a close call several years ago, only getting our luggage delivered a couple of hours before we checked out of the hotel to go to the cruise port. Our friends weren't so lucky but theirs did turn up about a week into the cruise. Guest Services kept them informed of whereabouts and expected arrival port. 

• Like 1

We lost one bag, that happened to be an empty wine box carrier so nothing urgent, on a trip leaving from Barcelona. It never made the connection in Madrid. One night in Barcelona and two nights at sea and it magically appeared in our suite!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I just checked your route and see that Ovation is due into Ålesund on Wednesday. Depending where your bags are currently, it's possible they can get them there. 

Thank you, they are hoping for Alesund but they were missing and then found in Amsterdam

I live in hope!  SB are doing their best and we are very grateful 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Thank you, they are hoping for Alesund but they were missing and then found in Amsterdam

I live in hope!  SB are doing their best and we are very grateful 

KLM has two flights from Amsterdam to Alesund tomorrow. Keep your fingers and toes crossed as I believe Wednesday flight would arrive too late. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Yes but it is Alesund tomorrow! Not Wednesday 

Sorry Mauzac, does the ship arrive there tomorrow? If so what time do you leave? I thought it was Wednesday. 

What is your next port after?

Edited by Isklaar

Of course you want your own things, but have you checked your travel insurance for luggage delays?  Depending on your policy( or credit card you used) you may be reimbursed for an amount to buy some new clothes. Fingers crossed for you 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I was just a bit down about it all, and your post has really not helped

Sorry that you did not want to hear facts.

2 hours ago, Mauzac said:

When booking flights through SB flight ease I twice questioned a tight connection and was reassured that it was fine so I do feel SB bear some responsibility 

First, was the "tight connection" the cause of the missing bag?  And even then, take a look at the Seabourn terms and conditions.  You will find that they have no responsibility for flight operational issues.  You did agree to those T&C when you booked your trip.

I know of passengers on our June Norway cruise (your same route) who never received their lost luggages.  But, they were dealing with BA and SAS, not KLM.  I do believe that their insurance was paying for purchased clothing for them.  It was not a fun thing for them at all.  Their bags had Airtags in them--but the two airlines were each blaming the other--and the Airtags did not help.  

I am so sorry that this has happened to you.  I hope Seabourn will help as much as possible.  They seem to have some experience with this scenario.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

this was a quick hop over to Copenhagen from UK

I'm confused.  If this was a "quick hop hover," what was your flight itinerary and where was the "tight connection?"

I'm very sorry that you are having to go through this turmoil.  Try your best to enjoy every moment of your cruise and put this inconvenience to the back of your mind! 

@Mauzac that is a real pain for you. We did the same cruise last month so I will try to be a little more helpful than the first response to your dilemma! I think it is very reasonable to ask for the opinion of others when you are cruising fjords which can be quite inaccessible.

Alesund is a lovely small town with an array of shops (lots of the hiking variety but shoe shops and other clothes shops)   My suggestion agrees with @fdnycruiser contact your insurance company to find out what allowance you have for replacing things. Also, KLM should have given you an idea of what you can spend on essentials. If the ship are able to keep in contact with the airline, and it is looking unlikely that you will have your luggage in Alesund, then buy what you need to keep you going to Tromsø. The airport in Tromsø is very close to where the ship docks so realistically, that may be where it is delivered to and if still no joy there is a nice shopping street and centre in Tromsø.

We didn't take Seabourn's flights from Manchester for this exact reason.  I will keep my 🤞🏻for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Sorry Mauzac, does the ship arrive there tomorrow? If so what time do you leave? I thought it was Wednesday. 

What is your next port after?

Hiya.. we've just heard that instead of 10am it will not dock until 'some time in the afternoon' because we are 15ft plus waves and very windy.

Then another sea day and then Svolvaer Lofoten on Thursday followed by Tromso Friday

I pretend I've been in the hot tub which is why I'm wearing my bathrobe and slippers round the ship whilst I wash our clothes!

We flew to Amsterdam then on to Copenhagen @skybluewaters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Techno123

Thank you and yes we will ring our insurance co tomorrow.  Just hoping we can get out in Alesund and I can buy some flat shoes.... slippers or heels just won't cut it on a RIB 😂

@SLSD  yes I had heard that one customers bags were waiting for them at the departure airport as they flew home.

Thank you for the helpful comments, when you have a bit of a dilemma, it's really good to hear feedback and suggestions and I do appreciate it.  Tonight we were at a show, that's great because it's dark in there.  😂

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Hiya.. we've just heard that instead of 10am it will not dock until 'some time in the afternoon' because we are 15ft plus waves and very windy.

Then another sea day and then Svolvaer Lofoten on Thursday followed by Tromso Friday

I pretend I've been in the hot tub which is why I'm wearing my bathrobe and slippers round the ship whilst I wash our clothes!

We flew to Amsterdam then on to Copenhagen @skybluewaters

So sorry you're having to deal with this.

I hope that you make it into port! As Techno pointed out it's good there for hiking gear etc which may be just what you need in the current climate.  The weather in south east Norway is pretty awful just now, a bad storm. Family living close to Oslo told me it's the worst they remember for decades, especially in summer. I didn't realise it was quite so bad up there by the coast in that area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Isklaar said:

So sorry you're having to deal with this.

I hope that you make it into port! As Techno pointed out it's good there for hiking gear etc which may be just what you need in the current climate.  The weather in south east Norway is pretty awful just now, a bad storm. Family living close to Oslo told me it's the worst they remember for decades, especially in summer. I didn't realise it was quite so bad up there by the coast in that area. 

The weather is very bad and this is the most rocky we've ever encountered on a SB cruise.

(Not so bad as the Bay of Biscay in March though....that was something else!)

37 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

@Techno123

Thank you and yes we will ring our insurance co tomorrow.  Just hoping we can get out in Alesund and I can buy some flat shoes.... slippers or heels just won't cut it on a RIB 😂

@SLSD  yes I had heard that one customers bags were waiting for them at the departure airport as they flew home.

Thank you for the helpful comments, when you have a bit of a dilemma, it's really good to hear feedback and suggestions and I do appreciate it.  Tonight we were at a show, that's great because it's dark in there.  😂

It is true that there are a lot of accessible shops for clothing in Alesund.  People on our cruise purchased down jackets, pants, tops, etc.  I hope your luggage arrives, but if it doesn't you may have some decent options.  I know that SB also has some items they may loan you.  You should ask.  One man was loaned a very nice outdoor jacket.  

8 hours ago, SLSD said:

It is true that there are a lot of accessible shops for clothing in Alesund.  People on our cruise purchased down jackets, pants, tops, etc.  I hope your luggage arrives, but if it doesn't you may have some decent options.  I know that SB also has some items they may loan you.  You should ask.  One man was loaned a very nice outdoor jacket.  

Thank you, yes.  I hope Alesund happens and the weather doesn't stop us,  

As far as anything like a jacket loaned from SB I have asked two members of the ventures/expedition team who I know from past cruises, and I have asked three different Guest Services people at different times....nothing!  I am surprised at this actually.  

Thank you for your response. 👍😊

Edited by Mauzac

The expedition team provided dry suits and bootees for the kayak expedition in Svolvaer so at worst you should have that to wear for the water based expedition trips 😁 (we didn't need them as it was warm on the way up but the weather turned after Tromsø and didn't pick up).

• Thanks 1