Questions from a newbie

ernnnn

Hello!

We are a Spanish couple planning an Alaska cruise on the Summit for 2024 summer. We have 7 cruises with Holland America Line, 1 with Princess and another with MSC (never again! 😅), but never with Celebrity. We have heard really good things about them, that's why we wanted to try them.

As usual suspects with Holland America, we know all the little tricks to enjoy them and to save some money. But one of the things we don't like about them is that they don't treat European and American customers the same way. For example, they don't give the same prices, offers or upgrades. Have you ever received anything like that being European with Celebrity?

I have found that Celebrity offers a bidding option for their cruises. How does it work? Do they also do it for Europeans? Is it just for customers booking directly with them or also through a Travel Agent?

About dining options. One of the thinghs we don't like about is the limited hours to have lunch or dinner. Being Spanish, we like having lunch and dinner later than Americans, so sometimes we are a bit upset when we try to have lunch after a tour at 15 or 16 o'clock and you don't find anything open except for burgers. Anything different?

I'm sure I will have loads of other questions, but, for now, it's more than enough. Best regards!

I can’t answer your questions about pricing or perks.

In  terms of meals, there will be a section of the buffet open later in the afternoon. There are usually some sandwiches, fruit, cheese, salad, maybe a hot entree, pizza, and scones. Sushi is served later - maybe at 1630 or 1700? 

Dinner seatings start at 1800 and I believe the latest you can book in specialty dining is 2100. 

Move Up (the bidding process to upgrade) is open to all as far as I know. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. 

That's a lot of time zones from Spain to Alaska.  You could just opt to adjust your dining times to fit with the ship's schedule since you'll have to adjust your body clocks anyway.   Alaska's time is way behind Spain's, just don't fully acclimate to the Alaska time zone and you'll feel like you are eating later than what the clock says. 

I don't know if Celebrity restricts Move Up but you can try at this link:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

There's a lot of FAQ's on the website, but basically the way this works is:

1. It's a blind auction, you won't know other's bids but they do provide an indication if your bid is weak, moderate or strong.  There will be a minimum / maximum amount you can bid.
  2. Do be aware (and it is well-marked on the website) that your bid will be per person for 2 people.
  3. If your bid is accepted, they'll immediately charge your credit card and you can't back out. 
  4. You can bid for an upgraded cabin category and it will be auto-assigned if you win.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, ernnnn said:
Hello!

We are a Spanish couple planning an Alaska cruise on the Summit for 2024 summer. We have 7 cruises with Holland America Line, 1 with Princess and another with MSC (never again! 😅), but never with Celebrity. We have heard really good things about them, that's why we wanted to try them.

As usual suspects with Holland America, we know all the little tricks to enjoy them and to save some money. But one of the things we don't like about them is that they don't treat European and American customers the same way. For example, they don't give the same prices, offers or upgrades. Have you ever received anything like that being European with Celebrity?

I have found that Celebrity offers a bidding option for their cruises. How does it work? Do they also do it for Europeans? Is it just for customers booking directly with them or also through a Travel Agent?

About dining options. One of the thinghs we don't like about is the limited hours to have lunch or dinner. Being Spanish, we like having lunch and dinner later than Americans, so sometimes we are a bit upset when we try to have lunch after a tour at 15 or 16 o'clock and you don't find anything open except for burgers. Anything different?

I'm sure I will have loads of other questions, but, for now, it's more than enough. Best regards!

If your dining time requirements do not match American preferences, you may be better off with a more Eurocentric cruise line?

The bidding for different categories of cabins is not always available. . You first have to book a cruise with a travel agent or directly with Celebrity and choose your cabin category. If you are allowed to bid for upgrades, you will receive notification by e-mail. The dining times are going to be very much like HAL. Of course, you can opt for the latest dining time offered for dinner. Breakfast and  lunch will be a ship's set times with no "late" times offered.  

On 8/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, ernnnn said:
Hello!

I'm curious.  Are the differences in pricing, options, etc.. due to the cruise lines choosing to price differently, or are they due to differences in how various countries manage these type of transactions? Honest question - I don't know the answer but I suspect it has more to do with the country laws and regulations.