Debark a day early in Europe

bassmaster150

Just checking to see if anyone knows if this is permitted.  We have sailed the Med many times but this is our first ever cruise on MSC.  We leave out of Barcelona and cruise for 7 days.  Last day is a sea day and day prior to that is Valeta Malta.  Do you know if it is possible to debark the ship in Malta (I know I may need to call MSC but checking with the hive mind first in case anyone has done this in Europe) prior to the final destination of Barcelona?

A couple years ago I boarded a cruise in Kiel, Germany and rather than returning there, I disembarked in Tallinn, Estonia on Day 5. Since both Spain and Malta are Schengen countries, it should not be a problem. Simply inform Reception the day prior and they will have you sign a waiver and settle your account, probably on the actual day of disembarkation.

Short answer - probably yes. Longer answer - on Northern Europe cruise last September, similar situation, last day sea day, friend wanted to debark on final port. This port wasn't a usual embarkation/debarkation port, but MSC allowed it. Call/email. Once you're on board, go and see Customer Services. They'll almost certainly confirm you'll need to be off an hour before all aboard with a clean account. FYI - we boarded in Keil, Germany and they debarked in Flaam, Norway.

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I really can't understand why anyone wants to do it but it's absolutely possible to do on cruises with embarkation/disembarkation in every port.

I did it because I had a connection to a different ship in Tallinn Harbour headed to Helsinki, Finland.

5 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I did it because I had a connection to a different ship in Tallinn Harbour headed to Helsinki, Finland.

Personally I should never skip one day at sea and two nights on the ship to be able to do that but people are different and of course that's okay!

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Personally I should never skip one day at sea and two nights on the ship to be able to do that but people are different and of course that's okay!

It what if missing the last day of a cruise meant you could embark on another cruise?  A few weeks ago a man was wondering if he could debark in Civitavecchia and catch the train in time to board another ship the same day in Venice.  Replies were not encouraging, but I suggested he leave the original cruise at the previous port (La Spezia), get the train there to Venice, spend the night and board the second cruise the next day (Armonia from Marghera).  EM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Exactly. I had paid for a 7-night cruise and giving up some nights was "painful". Nonetheless, I had a more important need to be in Helsinki and this was the best way to accomplish it. 

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

It what if missing the last day of a cruise meant you could embark on another cruise?  A few weeks ago a man was wondering if he could debark in Civitavecchia and catch the train in time to board another ship the same day in Venice.  Replies were not encouraging, but I suggested he leave the original cruise at the previous port (La Spezia), get the train there to Venice, spend the night and board the second cruise the next day (Armonia from Marghera).  EM

I should never book it so that I missed the last night on one cruise to be able to catch another cruise.

13 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I should never book it so that I missed the last night on one cruise to be able to catch another cruise.

I don’t believe the second cruise was even on the radar when he booked the first.  When he made the inquiry, he had t yet booked the second.  Consider that you already reside in Europe.  Air fare is not as big a deal for you as if you were in the western hemisphere, looking at fares that might exceed the cost of the cruise, plus coming in a day early and paying for a hotel.  Sometimes, you have to be flexible, grab the opportunity.  EM

I agree with those who ask why in the world would we want to disembark one day early.  Well the reason being is that we are doing a back to back cruise out of different countries.  Cruise #1 starts and ends in Barcelona.  Cruise #2 starts and ends in SouthHampton.  Now my wife and I are well seasoned travelers and cruisers, so we did know exactly what we were signing up for when we decided to see if we could actually pull this off.  Debark in Barcelona starts at 7:00am...our cruise departs on the same day out of SouthHampton but not until 8:00pm at night plus we gain an hour traveling from Barcelona to London....so it is totally doable...but then we thought...what if we spend an extra day in Malta as opposed to spending a day at sea and so that is why I asked.  THe ship does embark and debark out of all of the ports except for Valetta, Malta.  This is why we asked....but probably should call MSC to verify.  Yes, we know it is crazy to try this...but we absolutely love crazy adventures  🙂

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Consider that you already reside in Europe.  Air fare is not as big a deal for you as if you were in the western hemisphere, looking at fares that might exceed the cost of the cruise, plus coming in a day early and paying for a hotel.  Sometimes, you have to be flexible, grab the opportunity.  EM

For cruises from NY or Florida it should be the same thing for me but I should still never book cruises that way.

The biggest difference may be that in Sweden everyone has at least 25 days of vacation! Can you believe that, 25 days! Everyone!

3 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

THe ship does embark and debark out of all of the ports except for Valetta, Malta.  This is why we asked....but probably should call MSC to verify.

What ship and date? Are you sure that people can't embark/disembark in Valetta?

11 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

This is why we asked....but probably should call MSC to verify. 

Good luck calling. I don't think you'll reach anyone that can give you an accurate answer. Your best answer is asking at the Reception Desk on the day you get on the ship. They will give you an accurate answer.