Anchorage

Steve in Omaha

Our ship (Norwegian Jewel) arrives at Seward at 5am. We booked our flights thru NCL, so airport transfer is taken care of.

1)  What time will we have to be off the ship?  OR  What time will NCL transport us to the Anchorage airport?

2) Our flight leaves Anchorage at 11:50pm, so we'll have quite a bit of time to kill.  Obviously we could stay in the terminal and read a long book.  Has anyone gone into Anchorage for a couple of hours?  What are some fun things to do? Is there public transportation from the airport?

Thanks!

I'll address a couple of your questions.  I think you will be bored to death waiting in the terminal for an 11:50 pm flight.  I don't know when you can check your luggage in, but if you are going to go out and do something, you want to have your luggage checked.  

Yes, you can take a bus to downtown from the airport.  You would take the bus directly to the main terminal downtown.  I will say it's a little creepy with some of the people there ( I'll leave it at that), but I have taken the bus and I feel ok about it.  Now, saying that, you might just feel better off taking an uber or taxi from the airport and get dropped off somewhere downtown like the Visitor's Center cabin or somewhere like that.  You can do a few things downtown and then you can also grab some dinner before heading back to airport.  Downtown check out the Visitor's center cabin, the Ulu Factory down at Ship Creek ( a few blocks to walk downhill then back up), rent a bike or walk the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, the Alaska Law Enforcement Museum (free last time I was there), the Anchorage Museum (fee) make sure to take the free tour with the docent to get a little more out of it, Ship Creek to watch the people fishing, shopping, eating, etc.  

At the airport, you can walk over to Alaska Aviation Air Museum.  It's a bit hard to tell you how to walk over there, but you can just ask someone.  What I'm getting at here is that there is also small aircraft on active taxiways and then the road that leads to the arrivals and departures for the airport so you can either cross at your will there, or you can cut through the employee parking lot and head to the stop light then walk to the museum.  I also recommend walking around Lake Hood looking at all of the seaplanes and watching the takeoffs and landings.  Look at a google map then look at it in Satellite mode.  Maybe someone can better explain this.  

I'll link you to some things later, but have to pop out for now.  

If you can rent a car (doubtful) and extremely expensive, you can get around anywhere to many other places.  If you do that then we can give you more things to do.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Postman said:

We generally rent a car for the day.  It's fairly inexpensive and it just keeps our options open.  

also tagging @Steve in Omaha .  @The Postman what is fairly inexpensive?  Most of the complaints people have is on the cost of rental cars here.  I have seen them in the $175 range/day.  You can get them cheaper, but you need to be on it because they won't last.    

Another option is the free shuttle that stops at the Alaska Aviation Museum. It’s a bit inconvenient to get downtown as it takes over an hour as you stop at the zoo and botanical gardens first. Returning it is non-stop back to the museum. Of course, there’s that 15 minute walk to/from the airport.

If you’re walkers, one of the best views of downtown Anchorage skyline is about 1.5 miles away at the end of Postmark Dr.  It’s also is on the path for the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail with Pt Woronzof a short distance up the trail.

https://www.alaskazoo.org/summer-shuttle-2023

• Like 1

That’s a long time between disembarking and your flight.  Just a thought…

Would you consider renting a car in Seward and drive the Seward highway to the airport?  (Hertz might be your only rental available in Seward ) It’s an easy, scenic drive… highway info plentiful at MILEPOST Alaska or BELLSALASKA.

Rental could be pricey 😬, and it’s best to book a rental well before needed, so a car can be reserved for you….apparently few rental cars available these days.  We booked ours in May for a September pre cruise 4-day/3 night trip from the airport to Homer to Seward.

• Like 1

A rental would be an excellent choice. Bag the NCL transfer. It may be pricey but the things you can do and see along the way are fantastic. The drive along Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic in the state. You could stop at Girdwood for lunch and take the tram up for the view. There are several pull offs and if your timing is good you might see a bore tide or beluga whales. There are also the occasional Dall Sheep along the cliffs near Windy Point. 

6 hours ago, krashtest said:

I have about a day and a half upcoming in Anchorage after a cruise on Celebrity.  Any recommendations on hotels/places to stay in Anchorage?  (or ones to absolutely stay away from?)

Anchorage has a large range of hotels -- both chain properties and some non-chain.  If there is something specific you want to do in Anchorage than you may want to consider a property near that attraction.

But I have another idea -- have you considered spending a day in Seward?  A number of interesting attractions in Seward with a variety of hotels too.

I'm following this thread as I have about 6 or 7 hours in Anchorage following a cruise on September 10.  I disembark in Whittier, taking HAL train transfer to Anchorage airport, and should arrive a noon.  But my flight isn't until 9:50pm.   It looks like somethings (such as aforementioned free shuttle to the zoo) ends before I arrive in Anchorage as I will be on the tail end of tourist season...

I really wish I could get away from civilization and into more wild part of Alaska, but I don't see a way to do that with just a few hours in Anchorage....At first I booked a Viator tour that goes to a nature center, but I don't think that is really what I am looking for, so I am thinking of just hanging out downtown Anchorage, maybe taking a trolley tour that I saw? 

So any recommendations highly appreciated

23 hours ago, roupa said:

That’s a long time between disembarking and your flight.  Just a thought…

Would you consider renting a car in Seward and drive the Seward highway to the airport?  (Hertz might be your only rental available in Seward ) It’s an easy, scenic drive… highway info plentiful at MILEPOST Alaska or BELLSALASKA.

Rental could be pricey 😬, and it’s best to book a rental well before needed, so a car can be reserved for you….apparently few rental cars available these days.  We booked ours in May for a September pre cruise 4-day/3 night trip from the airport to Homer to Seward.

We already have flights & transfers booked and paid thru NCL.  

@GatorMomInNC  

There’s a place in Anchorage that's fairly close to the airport called Kincaid Park. It’s about as wild as it gets in the Anchorage Bowl. Would require transportation, Uber/Lyft/cab.  There are miles of trails off of the main road. As per this site; “You can explore the woods in search of wildlife: Moose proliferate, black bear abound, and bald eagles cry.”  There are quite a few moose and I’ve seen black bears there a few times but not that frequently.

https://www.alaska.org/detail/kincaid-park

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 6:37 PM, Glaciers said:

A rental would be an excellent choice. Bag the NCL transfer. It may be pricey but the things you can do and see along the way are fantastic. The drive along Turnagain Arm is one of the most scenic in the state. You could stop at Girdwood for lunch and take the tram up for the view. There are several pull offs and if your timing is good you might see a bore tide or beluga whales. There are also the occasional Dall Sheep along the cliffs near Windy Point. 

I just did a search for Hertz because I know they have a Seward location and the problem in addition to price is going to be availability.  If the OP or others have a very long wait, it may be best to take the transfer and then get a car; if available or reasonable enough.  I do agree, a car is best option for someone with a longer wait for flight then head down Turnagain Arm to Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska for tram or hiking, Girdwood for dinner, etc...anything but sitting at airport.  It's doable.  Just don't stay down there too late in case of unexpected problems on Seward Highway.  

18 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

'm following this thread as I have about 6 or 7 hours in Anchorage following a cruise on September 10.  I disembark in Whittier, taking HAL train transfer to Anchorage airport, and should arrive a noon.  But my flight isn't until 9:50pm.

You could do a 26 Glacier Cruise in Whittier and then head to Anchorage that evening. Another option would be to rent a car in Anchorage and head north to the Matanuska Glacier for a glacier hike. Or just to Hatcher Pass.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 12:08 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

I'm following this thread as I have about 6 or 7 hours in Anchorage following a cruise on September 10.  I disembark in Whittier, taking HAL train transfer to Anchorage airport, and should arrive a noon.  But my flight isn't until 9:50pm.   It looks like somethings (such as aforementioned free shuttle to the zoo) ends before I arrive in Anchorage as I will be on the tail end of tourist season...

I really wish I could get away from civilization and into more wild part of Alaska, but I don't see a way to do that with just a few hours in Anchorage....At first I booked a Viator tour that goes to a nature center, but I don't think that is really what I am looking for, so I am thinking of just hanging out downtown Anchorage, maybe taking a trolley tour that I saw? 

So any recommendations highly appreciated

We did a Flora and Fauna Nature walk  with Go Hike Alaska that leaves and returns from the Anchorage convention center to Chugach State Park that was pretty good.  We also biked the Tony Knowles trail.  Both take you away from civilization, for sure.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, AKJonesy said:

also tagging @Steve in Omaha .  @The Postman what is fairly inexpensive?  Most of the complaints people have is on the cost of rental cars here.  I have seen them in the $175 range/day.  You can get them cheaper, but you need to be on it because they won't last.    

I would consider that if you spend several thousand for a cruise paying $175 for a car is just round off error.  I find it interesting that after spending a lot of money fir a cruise some people are ridiculously frugal about spending a bit more for something that would enhance their vacation experience.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I would consider that if you spend several thousand for a cruise paying $175 for a car is just round off error.  I find it interesting that after spending a lot of money fir a cruise some people are ridiculously frugal about spending a bit more for something that would enhance their vacation experience.

DON

It's what I hear about on the boards as a big complaint.  In the case of this poster, it's just the one day rental, but in the case where there are add on days, the cost of the car, gas, accommodation and food can get pretty far above what the daily cruise and taxes are.  It's just another perspective and that is why I try to offer more options if there are options available IMHO.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So maybe this is a new thing, since nobody said anything about it.  NCL does not take us from Seward to the airport.  They take you and your luggage to the Egan Convention Center, where you can store your luggage and set out for the day.  Then when you're ready, they take you and your luggage to Anchorage Airport.  

That changes everything about what I was planning, in a positive way.

5 hours ago, Steve in Omaha said:

So maybe this is a new thing, since nobody said anything about it.  NCL does not take us from Seward to the airport.  They take you and your luggage to the Egan Convention Center, where you can store your luggage and set out for the day.  Then when you're ready, they take you and your luggage to Anchorage Airport.  

That changes everything about what I was planning, in a positive way.

I thought this was the case as I posted in post #8. That is why I mentioned it. Most other cruise lines do this. It would surprise me if NCL didn't. I don't look at NCL so I wasn't sure.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 7:15 PM, Coral said:

I thought this was the case as I posted in post #8. That is why I mentioned it. Most other cruise lines do this. It would surprise me if NCL didn't. I don't look at NCL so I wasn't sure.

Do you know if Celebrity does this?  It looks like you can select the train or motor coach to transfer from Seward to ANC or Seward to Egan Center)...but I didn't see any information about storing luggage at Egan Center, or transfer onward to ANC later (looks like it is strictly to ANC or Egan).

Is there luggage storage available at Egan center?  

I have the same conundrum as the OP, but we are on Celebrity and will have a group of 11 with at least 7 of us planning a 23:50 departure from ANC. 

Edited by midwife1021

1 minute ago, midwife1021 said:

Do you know if Celebrity does this?  

I have the same conundrum as the OP, but we are on Celebrity and will have a group of 11 with at least 7 of us planning a 23:50 departure from ANC. 

You may want to post on Celebrity but honestly, I think all lines do. Due to the time most flights leave Anchorage - people need a solution for their luggage and the airport doesn't want people there.

• Like 1

We certainly were the first but I think we are still the only Celebrity Captain' Club Zenith members who reside in Alaska.  For those who don't "speak X" we are the highest tier of their loyalty program.  I strongly suspect that luggage storage is available at the Eagan Center.  But with a group that large have you considered a private transfer using Salmon Berry Tours and Travel?  They could design a private transfer and day of touring before dropping the group off at the Anchorage airport.

• Like 2