Question re “Cancel For Any Reason Insurance”

sapper1

I haven’t been on the board here for several years as my husband has been unable to travel. However I am considering taking a cruise next spring with my good cruising friend from the past and we will be sharing a cabin.  If I purchase the platinum insurance and my friend has to cancel will I be up-charged to double occupancy?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sapper1 said:

I haven’t been on the board here for several years as my husband has been unable to travel. However I am considering taking a cruise next spring with my good cruising friend from the past and we will be sharing a cabin.  If I purchase the platinum insurance and my friend has to cancel will I be up-charged to double occupancy?

I believe so, yes. We had my aunt "in" with my mom. Aunt cancelled. After I looked into the process, we just had my aunt be a "no show" as it was actually going to cost MORE for one person in the cabin!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sapper1 said:

Unfortunately the Cancel for Any Reason only covers the person that is canceling and the person remaining then has to pay the Single supplement cost. I have personally always thought this was very unfair what that is the way it is. As Crystal Spin  mentioned it is almost better if the person is a No show but then insurance will not cover them if they purchased it. Also the person canceling needs to be the 2nd passenger not first or the whole reservation can cancel except with a No show, if 2nd passenger has checked in and at Sail Away you ssay sorry the first passenger is not going to make it they will not kick the 2nd passenger off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sapper1 said:

Hi Sapper1!  I am so glad to see a post by you....you were on one of my roll calls years ago and I..... enjoyed meeting you.  Sorry your husband can't travel.  Mine does not want to deal with airports anymore, so I am taking a solo cruise next year...42 day Atlantic Adventurer r/t Ft.Lauderdale.  I don't purchase insurance from HAL, but was floored at how expensive it was going to be for just me from the company I chose.  I didn't buy cancel for any reason.

5 hours ago, Loreto said:

Hi Sapper1!  I am so glad to see a post by you....you were on one of my roll calls years ago and I..... enjoyed meeting you.  Sorry your husband can't travel.  Mine does not want to deal with airports anymore, so I am taking a solo cruise next year...42 day Atlantic Adventurer r/t Ft.Lauderdale.  I don't purchase insurance from HAL, but was floored at how expensive it was going to be for just me from the company I chose.  I didn't buy cancel for any reason.

I do remember the name?  Was it on the Mexican cruise out of San Diego?

1 hour ago, sapper1 said:

I do remember the name?  Was it on the Mexican cruise out of San Diego?

Hi Sapper!  I think it was on a repositioning cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale, the first time we were on the Eurodam.  We will be on the Eurodam in Sept . to Alaska.  Anyway, nice to see your name on the HAL boards again☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loreto said:

Hi Sapper!  I think it was on a repositioning cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale, the first time we were on the Eurodam.  We will be on the Eurodam in Sept . to Alaska.  Anyway, nice to see your name on the HAL boards again☺️

Agreed 

9 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

...As Crystal Spin  mentioned it is almost better if the person is a No Show...Also the person canceling needs to be the 2nd passenger not first or the whole reservation can cancel except with a No show, if 2nd passenger has checked in and at Sail Away you say sorry the first passenger is not going to make it they will not kick the 2nd passenger off.

Hey @sapper1 my experience aligns w/LAFFNVEGAS and CrystalSpin - very important the person going just checks in as usual and if asked about the status of the other passenger, they say they believe they're coming. At some point close to sail away they may ask again, which is when the passenger simply says "I guess they're not showing up." They don't say "they canceled."

Hope it all works out and you have a wonderful cruise. 

9 hours ago, sapper1 said:

Thanks for the information everyone.  

I don't actually have anything of value to add, but I wanted to say Hello! and let you know that it's good to see you again. 😁