seeking advice on how much to bid

wxtrix

here's the info:

12 nights on the Sun

offer from our current forward-facing penthouse suite to an owners suite

we originally booked a forward-facing club balcony and the second pre-final payment price drop was so good I just went and upgraded our room to a suite. I did not expect to get an upgrade email, but I did, and of course both OS are already booked.

the minimum bid is $650/1300 and the max is $1800/3600.

even the top bid is less than what the cabin is currently priced at (there's another sailing which has mirrored our prices and that one shows an available OS so I can get an idea of the price from that).

we're 110 days from sailing so i don't expect to hear anything until the very end--but I would welcome some bidding strategy. thanks!

2 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

As much as you can afford based on your desire to indulge. 

Wish I had your dilemma. 

we've had some rough seas recently and i'm thankful to have a puzzle like this for a change.

I've been fairly successful at upgrade bids(won 2 out of four times).  One key is the rooms have to be available.  If fully booked they aren't.  You'll be relying on someone cancelling.    I've never bid above fair on their scale.  On my latest cruise starting monday I did as you, upgraded directly to a 2 bdrm haven, as the cost was less than the minimum upgrade bid.  I also have bid to upgrade to the 3bdrm garden villa. Bid the minimum as that's what I'm willing to pay and don't really care if I get upgraded.  Also both are booked so my chance of an upgrade is near zero...

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, davencl said:

I've been fairly successful at upgrade bids(won 2 out of four times).  One key is the rooms have to be available.  If fully booked they aren't.  You'll be relying on someone cancelling.    I've never bid above fair on their scale.  On my latest cruise starting monday I did as you, upgraded directly to a 2 bdrm haven, as the cost was less than the minimum upgrade bid.  I also have bid to upgrade to the 3bdrm garden villa. Bid the minimum as that's what I'm willing to pay and don't really care if I get upgraded.  Also both are booked so my chance of an upgrade is near zero...

good to know—thanks. i was thinking about bidding the bottom of “fair”. 

the sailing is not selling well and you never know what might happen closer to the sail date. either way i have a great cabin. 😀

On 8/9/2023 at 5:33 PM, omahabob said:

Everyone gets them, or so I'm told. Don't count on winning an upgrade though. It happens, but it's fairly rare.

Not everyone gets them. Certain TAs and other cruise vendors do not participate (think Big Box store). I have been lucky and won my bid a few times (by bidding the minimum) but it really depends on how well the ship is selling, especially in certain catagories. I typically am happy with the cabin I have chosen so if I win, I win and if I don't, no big deal.

• Like 1