Boarding pass

gregma60

Please excuse what it probably an asked already question, I did try to search.  This is our first cruise ever.  We are sailing out of Vancouver on the 23rd for an alaska cruise.  We are in a neptune suite.  Just got a notice of a change from Holland America to set our embarkation group and time.  I was quite surprised that I was assigned 11:30 with group ID: F.  Previously it was a 7am embarkation time with Priority.  Also, see nothing anymore about Priority on the boarding pass.  

Is this to be expected?  

Thanks!

-gregma

The first notice was a mistake.  The checkin times usually start 10:30 to 11.  Rarely does boarding begin until at least. 11:30.  The other passengers do not clear the decks until as late as 9 and the room must be readied.  Your pass does indicate your cabin and you will likely see a line designated priority. Just step up. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The first notice was a mistake.  The checkin times usually start 10:30 to 11.  Rarely does boarding begin until at least. 11:30.  The other passengers do not clear the decks until as late as 9 and the room must be readied.  Your pass does indicate your cabin and you will likely see a line designated priority. Just step up. 

Ok, so the group (F) really means nothing?

-gregma

5 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

Ok, so the group (F) really means nothing?

There will be a Priority line and Neptune Suite should be allowed there. Speaking from the info on CC, NOT from ever sailing in a NS!

But what Mary said about 7am -- Never!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

There will be a Priority line and Neptune Suite should be allowed there. Speaking from the info on CC, NOT from ever sailing in a NS!

But what Mary said about 7am -- Never!

And OP, usually the sign does say Neptune Suites, etc.  If it just says Priority - it’s all good.  My experience is from past sailing in an NS (those days are over 😔)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

And OP, usually the sign does say Neptune Suites, etc.  If it just says Priority - it’s all good.  My experience is from past sailing in an NS (those days are over 😔)

Sounds good, thank you.  Out of curiosity then, what does this group designation even mean?

-gregma

2 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

Sounds good, thank you.  Out of curiosity then, what does this group designation even mean?

-gregma

You mean Group F?  Not a clue.  I would have thought it would be A or B.  I don’t worry about what group I am in - just my boarding time 😉 

This is our first cruise as  4 cruisers. I know that we have priority boarding, but is that priority at the stated time on the boarding pass, or is it that I can board whenever I wish? Our boarding pass has us at 1:40 in Group I

2 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

This is our first cruise as  4 cruisers. I know that we have priority boarding, but is that priority at the stated time on the boarding pass, or is it that I can board whenever I wish? Our boarding pass has us at 1:40 in Group I

It seems to vary port to port depending on the local staff training.  It also depends on when you arrive.   In some ports everyone can check in then be seated by status - neptunes, 4 and 5.  It also depends on how many high level mariners are sailing.  When a 3, I got into priority as there were not that many Mariners. 

@gregma60 this is a screen shot of my boarding pass from June. It doesn’t say priority but since we were in a Neptune Suite we were and when I mentioned that we were directed to that line. Bear in mind that in Vancouver there is security screening and government screening both BEFORE the priority line which is only priority for boarding. In late June with 2 ships boarding that day it took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from arrival to being in our suite. As I recall only the boarding area had chairs so you could sit while you waited.

IMG_5523.jpeg

The boarding groups and times are HAL's attempt to spread out passenger arrival. But HAL doesn't run the terminals, so experiences vary from place to place.

From what I've read on CC, San Diego is not very responsive to priority. From my own experience in FLL, both in a Neptune Suite and as a nonsuite 4-star, nobody bothers about group letter or the time on the boarding pass. You go through security, then check in at a priority station. After that, if they haven't started boarding, you get a number and sit to wait until your number is called. Priority passengers get low number boarding cards, and in all the FLL terminals I've been in, are sent upstairs to wait to board in the first groups after passengers needing assistance. 

• Like 1