Quebec City: Best Tips, Loves, Memories??

TLCOhio

Canada?  Quebec City?  After being in the area west of Toronto in Waterloo last month, we are flying from Ohio into Quebec City Sunday early afternoon.  First time there to do this historic city.  After exploring the Canada Maritimes late last summer and in the summer of 2019 doing Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure and Vancouver, we are ready to discover more charm, food and culture in our northern neighbor.  

Will be in Quebec City till Thursday afternoon.  From all of the great experience here on the CC Boards, what are your best tips, insights, loves and suggestions for this town with North America's oldest streets and excellent French/British history.  Favorite dining locations?  Can't miss hidden secrets?   Understand many movies and TV shows have been done in Quebec City as it has the wonderful "looks" of Europe, but being closer for the stars and crew to reach and use than flying across the Atlantic.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Canada?  Quebec City?  After being in the area west of Toronto in Waterloo last month, we are flying from Ohio into Quebec City Sunday early afternoon.  First time there to do this historic city.  After exploring the Canada Maritimes late last summer and in the summer of 2019 doing Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure and Vancouver, we are ready to discover more charm, food and culture in our northern neighbor.  

Will be in Quebec City till Thursday afternoon.  From all of the great experience here on the CC Boards, what are your best tips, insights, loves and suggestions for this town with North America's oldest streets and excellent French/British history.  Favorite dining locations?  Can't miss hidden secrets?   Understand many movies and TV shows have been done in Quebec City as it has the wonderful "looks" of Europe, but being closer for the stars and crew to reach and use than flying across the Atlantic.   

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

Hi Terry,

My husband and I have been to Quebec City twice and will be making our way back there for an overnight on our cruise late September into mid October. 

The old town is a must for all things historic and food. The Citadel  Chateau Frontanac has been used for some filming and is a great historical building. Outside of Quebec City we would recommend a trip to Montmorency Falls as you walk around you look out on St. Lawrence River. Beautiful spot and lots of walks as well.

Enjoy your trip.

Linda and Gary. Uk

4 hours ago, westwindwins said:

Hi Terry, My husband and I have been to Quebec City twice and will be making our way back there for an overnight on our cruise late September into mid October. The old town is a must for all things historic and food. The Citadel  Chateau Frontanac has been used for some filming and is a great historical building. Outside of Quebec City we would recommend a trip to Montmorency Falls as you walk around you look out on St. Lawrence River. Beautiful spot and lots of walks as well.  Enjoy your trip.  Linda and Gary. Uk

Appreciate these great suggestions and the follow-up from Linda and Gary in the UK.   Excellent.   We might also get some rain while there, so we will have to consider how the "logistics" goes for getting around there if we have to dodge the drops from heaven.   Keep it coming!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

12 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Quebec City . . . has the wonderful "looks" of Europe, but being closer for the stars and crew to reach and use than flying across the Atlantic.

There are two substantial European cities in North America: Québec and Mexico City. Both have that marvelous feel to them. Both are worth a walking tour. My specific interests relate to transportation, so those things that appeal to me, and to many others, are the funicular railway, Funiculaire du Vieux-Québec, which climbs from the lower city, near Wharf 22 of the port, to the upper city, near le Château Frontenac; and the historic and beautiful Gare du Palais.

9 hours ago, GTJ said:

There are two substantial European cities in North America: Québec and Mexico City. Both have that marvelous feel to them. Both are worth a walking tour. My specific interests relate to transportation, so those things that appeal to me, and to many others, are the funicular railway, Funiculaire du Vieux-Québec, which climbs from the lower city, near Wharf 22 of the port, to the upper city, near le Château Frontenac; and the historic and beautiful Gare du Palais.

Great follow-ups above from marys350 and GTJ.  All sounds wonderful and very good.  Definitely want to ride the funicular railway, enjoy the cobblestone streets, etc.  For that suggested dining location, their website says: "The restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens is located in La Maison Jacquet, reputed to be the oldest house in Quebec City and one of the oldest in the province. It was erected in 1675!"  Nice looking menu at a price that might be possible.  

At the Philadelphia airport now, early this morning, getting ready to board and fly to Quebec City.  

Noticed last night that the Silversea Silver Shadow will be in Quebec City, arriving later today/Aug. 13, at 5 pm, departing tomorrow late evening from wharf 30.  It will be docked to north of the historic Old Town.  This same Silversea ship will be back Sept. 5 & 25.  Plus, Oct. 15 & Nov. 4, 2023.  Now seems to be the start of the major cruise season for this historic city.   Anyone doing upcoming (or has done previously) these St. Lawrence and Canada Maritimes sailings?  Might post a few great memories from last summer in those charming areas of eastern Canada.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,893 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

As I promised (or threatened), below are a few of my favorites from our late last summer, first-time exploring in and around the Canada Maritimes.  Super enjoyed these areas, the great food, charming people, interesting culture, fascinating history, etc.  

Many more visuals and details from this area can been seen via the link provided below.  

Hope this brings back memories and/or previews for those planning to visit this highly scenic part of Canada.  Yes, they have lobster and excellent seafood!!

In and around Halifax, here are two of the potential sights and locations to explore and enjoy.  This includes Peggy's Cove and Halifax's historic Citadel.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.1b9236848f3dab44c3ce7ab8c31629e0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.27ef82c3e01a34c8653b4aa04ddeb19d.jpeg

With record high and low tides, this Bay of Fundy location allowed us to walk on the floor of the ocean at Hopewell's Rocks.:

image.thumb.jpeg.fc50d24293a241ac823af1b19e1c28c8.jpeg

What is better for exploring these coastal areas than having a bagpiper leading the way for our group?:

image.thumb.jpeg.fe98eab08a90f628b980b677492f9a5b.jpeg

Visiting Anne of Green Gables author's home and inspiration.:

image.thumb.jpeg.8286f7ba56fd6c863dc3710b4477737b.jpeg

While on the famed Cabot Trail, here is just one sample for the dramatic, scenic coastal areas.:

image.thumb.jpeg.8d0bdd03ca8daed868b13679dbbd322f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Beyond many of the ideas and attractions near the old town, we thought a trip out to the New Grand Market was worthwhile.  Lots of interesting and affordable food places to sample/snack or pick up some souvenirs/gifts.

7 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Beyond many of the ideas and attractions near the old town, we thought a trip out to the New Grand Market was worthwhile.  Lots of interesting and affordable food places to sample/snack or pick up some souvenirs/gifts.

Appreciate this above tip.  We've arrived!!  Below is a small sampling as to what can be seen and experienced in this historic city of Quebec City with so much going back to the early 1600's, its walled old city, cobblestoned streets and much more.  

For those visiting, Quebec City is a location meriting added time as there is so much charm and character here.  Below is only a small, tiny sampling for our first afternoon here. 

Much of the history is about the French vs. the British.  Lots of military, architecture, culture, etc., differences and contrasts here that makes everything so interesting. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,893 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Here is a small sampling for the architecture, fun, sights in and around Quebec City.  Notice the flowers?  They are spectacular!!  Great, amazing gardens and buildings. Many shopping and dining options.:

image.thumb.jpeg.d56b8eb24958be778e1c34d7fcede63d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51ba81cde549bbbec2adb0fbb444b28c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.07d1debf554f9c3f13860beb99124cd9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eb6f77213b795ed7b1bba778cb1a85b9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0e82fa9291d92087272638ad4589cd35.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d38268054b5c66d35078f8261101a477.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying your post and jotted down some of the tips others have sent to you. We will be staying in Quebec City 3 days next month prior to a cruise. We have already booked a free walking tour for the first morning to get acclimated. We plan to take the public bus out to the Falls one day as well. 

13 hours ago, madera1 said:

Enjoying your post and jotted down some of the tips others have sent to you. We will be staying in Quebec City 3 days next month prior to a cruise. We have already booked a free walking tour for the first morning to get acclimated. We plan to take the public bus out to the Falls one day as well. 

Appreciate your planning and prep for your time to explore Quebec City before starting your cruise.  Let me know any questions.  Will have more share.  Wonderful city!!  

From our first full day in Quebec City, we continue to LOVE the character and charm here.  Need proof?  See below.  Still have two and a half days left so we can be really in-depth for exploring and experiencing the history in this city that goes way, way back to the early 1600's.  

Talk about a Time Machine!!  Any added tips suggestions to share for experiencing Quebec City?

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,893 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Here is their Quebec Parliament Building with this charming fountain fronting it.:

image.thumb.jpeg.cfaac0d7c77330a82a02b19e70b9a182.jpeg

Did an amazing, special collection at their Museum of Art centered around the famed British designer Alexander McQueen.  His fashions are displayed in connection with historic art to reflect his unique and pioneering style.  Amazing collection that ties in  with so much history and innovation.  He not only did dresses, but unique hair covering, shoes, etc.  Fascinating and stimulating display that was well worth seeing!:

image.thumb.jpeg.c5442887ca4c636e719d8e21792221b8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.96e18caf004185ad1a183c4613d5393e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b09e585aa7f57358734a9bfb32d3130.jpeg

Here are just few more visual samples from yesterday, including at a fun market in their Arts District, their famed Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Hotel and a tasty dinner last night.  Lots of interesting architecture here!:

image.thumb.jpeg.7dab49b8b4b210def04cbe3df0c3edfc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fd4ec178eb343155251096b2ddda4d97.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ed56620314e6c482ebee179e1cc96a96.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9cdf9bb34e19231b11341cf539fe040b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.edb36f70da0be0a40ff1d05e304e56ad.jpeg

16 hours ago, madera1 said:

Definitely stay in the old city -  Hotel Ste. Anne, on rue Ste. Anne is a lovely, reasonably priced place.  A lot of folks think about staying at Chateau Frontenac- which I think is a mistake - it’s fairly pricey, and it’d just about the one spot from which you cannot see one of the most attractive sights: the Chateau itself.

Try maple pie for dessert some evening - but I do not recommend the Quebec national dish: Poutine, which is pure stodge - thick gravy poured over French fries covered with cheese curds (yuck!).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Definitely stay in the old city -  Hotel Ste. Anne, on rue Ste. Anne is a lovely, reasonably priced place.  A lot of folks think about staying at Chateau Frontenac- which I think is a mistake - it’s fairly pricey, and it’d just about the one spot from which you cannot see one of the most attractive sights: the Chateau itself.

Try maple pie for dessert some evening - but I do not recommend the Quebec national dish: Poutine, which is pure stodge - thick gravy poured over French fries covered with cheese curds (yuck!).

Love Poutine, crispy fries with fresh cheese curds with a dark brown gravy, Yum! 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, electro said:

Love Poutine, crispy fries with fresh cheese curds with a dark brown gravy, Yum! 🙂

Understandable, I suppose -- given your Ottawa location.

(But thankfully not usually served on cruise ships; and questionable, at best, for anyone living below 49th parallel.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Understandable, I suppose -- given your Ottawa location.

(But thankfully not usually served on cruise ships; and questionable, at best, for anyone living below 49th parallel.)

you just have to get it in the right place. I lived in Colorado for 4 years and saw some horrible versions in the US. I was in Disney last year and they had foods from around world in Epcot and the Canadian stand had what they called "classic poutine" made with boursin cheese. Absolutely NOT classic!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, electro said:

you just have to get it in the right place. I lived in Colorado for 4 years and saw some horrible versions in the US. I was in Disney last year and they had foods from around world in Epcot and the Canadian stand had what they called "classic poutine" made with boursin cheese. Absolutely NOT classic!

Is there really a “right place” and right varieties of cheese, and French fries, and heavy gravy for that combination?  

Think about it for a moment: fried potatoes, covered with cheese curds, and then heavy gravy - all on the same plate at the same time. I cannot imagine any place, any time, where that combination, regardless of quality of ingredients, could be called “classic” anything —- except ultimate stodge.

7 hours ago, electro said:

Love Poutine, crispy fries with fresh cheese curds with a dark brown gravy, Yum!

Secretly tasty, but certainly not indicative of otherwise respectable, fabulous, and fine Québécoise cuisine.

Edited by GTJ

10 hours ago, GTJ said:

Secretly tasty, but certainly not indicative of otherwise respectable, fabulous, and fine Québécoise cuisine.

no ever claimed it is fine dining. Just yummy. 

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Think about it for a moment: fried potatoes, covered with cheese curds, and then heavy gravy - all on the same plate at the same time.

You say this like it's a bad thing. Yummy melty fresh cheese! rich flavourful gravy. Fries. 🙂

Of course it is not something you eat every day, but a nice treat a couple of times a year.

There is also some great french onion soup in Quebec City. Last time I was there it was cold and rainy and this hit the spot.

To each their own, there are a lot of foods that others eat that I don't understand. Mushy peas and creamed spinach come to mind.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

For some reason the French and Quebecois know better how to cook onions than any others — especially onion soup.

I agree about mushy peas and creamed spinach, which seem to be British specialties - along with their disgusting Marmite — then, of course, what can one expect of a nation which sends many of their children to school with chip butties (potato sandwiches) for lunch.

The other thing that makes the French onion soup great is that they use Gruyère cheese. I've been to places (not quebec) where they use mozzarella, not the same at all.

I've never heard of chip butties. 

Just now, electro said:

wow, that's a thing? kids might like it but not the healthiest of lunches.

yeah

try the bacon butties

or a supersized McD meal 😃

none are healthy but do taste good

7 hours ago, electro said:

no ever claimed it is fine dining. Just yummy.

Here's what is hidden in my cupboard at home.

Saint-Hubert.jpg

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

Poutine is classic - it's not haute cuisine, but it is definitely a classic. 

But you've got to have proper, fresh, squeaky, cheese curds (that haven't been refrigerated) - this is why it's so hard to find good poutine outside of Quebec/eastern Ontario (and potentially the dairy-producing states in the US.) 

There is NOTHING better than picking up a bag of fresh cheese curds from beside the caisse at the dep. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

There is NOTHING better than picking up a bag of fresh cheese curds from beside the caisse at the dep. 

Your note reminded my of my friend's better half, a native of, and upon her initial arrival in Québec from, France had no clue as to a dépanneur; she would not have understood your comment at all!

• Haha 1