Luggage delivery service questions

MSEm

I have read that with the luggage delivery service that luggage is placed in your cabin. 

Questions:

1.  How far in advance of your boarding date will the luggage be picked up?

2.  How is the luggage handled when you are leaving the ship to return home?

We are considering using the delivery service for a longer overseas cruise.

Thanks for any and all info on using this service.

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

I have read that with the luggage delivery service that luggage is placed in your cabin. 

Questions:

The luggage forwarding service we use through Viking has a range of days for pickup—the closest to embarkation is the most expensive.  We always use the least expensive date, which is about 10-12 days before embarkation.  And it does magically appear in your cabin when you can access your cabin.

Return procedures vary depending on the port.  Some are easier than others, but all of them are easier than shlepping the suitcase through the airport.  Usually you just go down to the luggage area, identify your luggage and get the porter to help you take it to the appropriate luggage cart.  The porter will have a cart.  Sometimes it’s just there grouped with all the other luggage being forwarded home, and you don’t have to do anything.  But it is great not having to grab your luggage and take it through customs when you re-enter the US.  We would have missed a couple of tight flights if we hadn’t had the service.  

3 hours ago, MSEm said:

Questions:

We used Luggage Forward to get our luggage on the World Cruise.  Our luggage was picked up about 2 weeks before we embarked (FL, from WA).  It was in our cabin when we arrived.  
We also used it to send a bag from London.  I want to say it was delivered in about 2 weeks.  As we weren’t here to accept delivery of it, I believe she messaged me it had arrived several days afterwards.  

Back in 19 we used them, Right now we are on the Mars getting ready to do the same again. Tonight we have the labels ready and tomorrow we will place them on the luggage. The bags go outside our door, just like normal, and that's it.  The next time you see them will be back home. Easy yes,  Is it a bit of of cost, sure,, 

4 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

The bags go outside our door, just like normal, and that's it.  The next time you see them will be back home.

Not always.  In some ports, you have to claim them and take them to the Luggage Forward stand.  But still pretty easy.  We have just decided that we are too old to carry all these bags around.  So now we just figure it into the cost of the trip and plan accordingly.  We, too, first used Luggage on the WC, where it was complimentary to Florida, and then we liked it so much we paid to have the bags sent home from London.  

I've always had to claim my bag myself in the cruise terminal - and then locate the Luggage Forward representative, which hasn't always been easy.  On a couple occasions, I had to wait nearly an hour for the rep to show up, and that involved standing outside the terminal, as the rep wasn't allowed inside.  It's a good service, and I'll likely continue to use it, as I cruise solo, but the process isn't always as seamless as the company would like you to believe.  On a more positive note, having to have my big bag packed and ready for pickup 10 days before I travel is a good thing for me; otherwise, I'd procrastinate far longer in choosing clothes and getting them into the suitcase.

One thing to keep in mind is the restrictions on what you can pack in your shipped luggage. Among other things, you can’t pack most toiletries (anything that contains alcohol,), electronics, batteries, aerosols etc.

To make matters worse, many of these restricted items are either not allowed, or only allowed in limited amounts in your carry on luggage when you fly.

Depending on what you want to take with you, your might need to check baggage with the airline, which might make the luggage forward service is somewhat less appealing.

YMMV

28 minutes ago, CannyScotTor said:

One thing to keep in mind is the restrictions on what you can pack in your shipped luggage. Among other things, you can’t pack most toiletries (anything that contains alcohol,), electronics, batteries, aerosols etc.

To make matters worse, many of these restricted items are either not allowed, or only allowed in limited amounts in your carry on luggage when you fly.

Depending on what you want to take with you, your might need to check baggage with the airline, which might make the luggage forward service is somewhat less appealing.

YMMV

We’ve really never had any problem.  Packed toothpaste with scope, perfume, sunscreen,  a clock and thermometer with batteries, etc. etc.  they will get you on air tags, though.  I even called them about this stuff the first time.  

Edited by SantaFe1

No doubt you can pack what you like. The risk you take is that a customs inspector decides that something is not permissible, and your bag is returned to your home instead of being delivered to the ship, or the offending items are confiscated. 

Never happened in five years.  Customs officers don’t confiscate this stuff if you check your bag. It’s  just the company covering itself.  We were really careful the first time.  But, if anything should go wrong,  It doesn’t get returned, just held up.  I just no longer worry about it.  But I can understand the angst.  

Edited by SantaFe1

13 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

All I've ever had in my Luggage Forward bag is clothes, shoes, handbags.  No jewelry, certainly.  All my other stuff travels with me.

Yes, certainly nothing that is valuable!!  

Edited by SantaFe1

9 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Never happened in five years.  Customs officers don’t confiscate this stuff if you check your bag.m it’s just the company covering itself.  We were really careful the first time.  But, if anything should go wrong,  It doesn’t get returned, just held up.  I just no longer worry about it.  But I can understand the angst.  

Bad things can happen:

Obviously, everyone has different risk tolerance.

My most recent Luggage Forward experience went flawlessly (my home to Montreal, NYC to my home).  Last October, I sailed via Silversea from San Diego to Costa Rica.  I was told Luggage Forward couldn't pick up my bag from the port at journey's end.  OK.  I arranged for pickup from the hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica, where I stayed overnight before coming home.  Somehow, things went off the rails.  I didn't see my bag for nearly a month.  Luggage Forward insisted they knew where my suitcase was, though they quite obviously didn't.  Though I anticipated my belongings would be gone if I ever saw that bag again, things were returned to me intact.  However, I had entirely unsatisfactory communication from the company and never got an apology for the poor service.  Moral of the story: It's an attractive service and usually works - but not always and not without hiccups.  Caveat emptor, etc.

12 hours ago, CannyScotTor said:

YMMV

Carrying on all your toiletries could be an issue in some airports. We have everything in 3 oz or less, but at Heathrow they handed us a small baggie and said that everything had to fit in that baggie. If it did not, it would be disposed of. I was really upset as I am a cancer patient and have to use certain creams which I divide up in small tubes, but there are a lot of them and no way would they fit into that small baggie. The guy was totally uncaring and said they'd just throw them out and made it clear I was not taking them through security. My bag was pulled and the guy who pulled me aside to inspect it was very kind. He assured me he would not throw anything out, he would test it. I was so thankful! I have a letter from my physician I carry, but the first guy said that didn't matter. I'm left not knowing, is it Heathrow, or just a nasty security guy....but what if he was the guy at the end who inspected the bags, would he have thrown my stuff out. 

I have to bring along a lot of liquid medicines for my nebuliser and have been told by security that if you provide a list of repeat medication then it won't count as part of the total allowed. I put all my liquid medicines in as many separate bags as I need. Never had a problem at UK airports although the nebuliser has been questioned when it's scanned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmedic said:

I have to bring along a lot of liquid medicines for my nebuliser and have been told by security that if you provide a list of repeat medication then it won't count as part of the total allowed. I put all my liquid medicines in as many separate bags as I need. Never had a problem at UK airports although the nebuliser has been questioned when it's scanned.

Its a similar situation here in Canada, there are exceptions to carry on limits for prescription medications.

16 hours ago, madmedic said:

Bring the Dr’s script with you. Prob not needed.  Just insurance.  Only once we’re we asked to show.  

The problem is that not all medications (or products used to deliver medications) are prescription. Some are OTC like nutritional supplements for cancer patients, saline solution, and various skin care products. I've had good success with getting these types of things through security with a letter from my doctor, but for some reason Heathrow said that was not acceptable. In the end I got them through, but that was the first time I have encountered that. 

• Like 1