Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

22 minutes ago, mcship said:

The complaint if not about the $$.   it is the principle.  If it were $0.01 it would be an issue.

I am in real estate.  If the seller fails to disclose a 20 dollar fee to the HOA, the seller has to pay.  Even if the HOA changed the fee the day before, and the seller had no say in the matter.  Because that is what was agreed to.  20 bucks on a half million is totally immaterial.  But it matters - in principle.   If the seller finds out during the process, and discloses, it gives the buyer an opportunity to cancel.  Yes, over 20 bucks (no, in reality nobody is going to do this, but could).  that is how a contract works.

Princess said the fare includes oceanNow and pizza from alfredos.  They absolutely can change that going forward.  but need to keep it for those who already booked.  it was part of the "contract"  (and yes, I know, their legal team has a billion words saying otherwise, so "legally" they can do it, I am speaking logically)

Just like in real estate if the buyers waives inspections they do not have a leg to stand on. When you booked you ok’d your cruise agreement that states they can make changes at any time. So in effect you have waived those rights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

But there have been, however, not to everyone. It appears that those on imminent cruises, maybe from certain areas, have not been informed. So why? 

I would argue that in many ways you are probably better off to complain to CR on board saying that you were never notified. Would not be surprised if they throw a little obc.

In many ways better to notify those more than 3 months out in case they want to change. might be more upsetting to someone setting at 91 days where they can change their mind and can cancelcel without penalty than someone at one week where it makes no difference.

Edited by ldtr

1 minute ago, memoak said:

On what ship ?  Not all shops have the changes right now ?

Sky. Ours is the first cruise with the new implementations. Look back at the others who have commented on this thread, and are on the same sailing, and have said that they’ve not received ‘the’ email. I have received another half a dozen others this week - even a free subscription to the Telegraph and  one telling me to book my arrival time 🙄 - but nothing about the changes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villauk said:

But there have been, however, not to everyone. It appears that those on imminent cruises, maybe from certain areas, have not been informed. So why? 

Did you book direct or through a TA?

Is it reflected on your cruise summary?

Edited by ldtr

7 hours ago, Oxo said:

Let's be honest. Which cruise line is not doing the same thing?

We cruised Celebrity, MSC, NCL Princess and RCI this year and last year. They are all doing the same thing. They are in business to make a profit and if you want to cruise you will pay. 

And that is the problem.

Princess used to be different in a number of ways from their main competition and this stood out to many people as the first cruise line to look at for a cruise. 

But gradually Princess has decided to eliminate what makes them different (and better) than the competition. Besides what is being discussed on this thread, changes over the past few years have ranged from eliminating the ability to book a shore excursion and not pay for it until the cruise to no longer placing a chocolate on the pillow every evening.

If Princess is just like the competition, then why look at Princess first? If I am going to go to Alaska or take a Caribbean cruise to St Thomas, St Martin and a private island (and, let's face it, Princess Cays does not have the best beach), then price becomes the determining factor for similar experiences. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Did you book direct or through a TA?

Is it reflected on your cruise summary?

TAs were not sent the email (or at least none of the TAs in my company). It went direct from Princess to the customer, even if they booked through us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribill said:

And that is the problem.

Princess used to be different in a number of ways from their main competition and this stood out as the first cruise line to look at for a cruise to many people. 

But gradually Princess has decided to eliminate what makes them different (and better) than the competition. Besides what is being discussed on this thread, changes over the past few years have ranged from eliminating the ability to book a shore excursion and not pay for it until the cruise to no longer placing a chocolate on the pillow every evening.

If Princess is just like the competition, then why look at Princess first? If I am going to go to Alaska or take a Caribbean cruise to St Thomas, St Martin and a private island (and, let's face it, Princess Cays does not have the best beach), then price becomes the determining factor for similar experiences. 

YES! SO MUCH THIS! I have been trying to say this since the changes were announced, but you have stated it so much better than me!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcship said:

His son Nick is the CEO of the Miami Heat (which Micky owns).  Would he come over to Carnival?  That would be quite a leap NBA to Cruise Industry, but who knows.

No bigger leap than going from Disney to Princess as Padgett did.

The problem is that Padgett had no background/experience with the cruise industry (not associated with Disney cruises. when he came to Princess to oversee the development of the highly successful and much admired app. 

And his success with the app led to his promotion to be President of PCL.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

And that is the problem.

Princess used to be different in a number of ways from their main competition and this stood out as the first cruise line to look at for a cruise to many people. 

5 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

YES! SO MUCH THIS! I have been trying to say this since the changes were announced, but you have stated it so much better than me!

Tough times call for tough measures.

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

I completely understand the sentiment of your post. I keep telling people here that the Crown Grill is not worth the $39 cover charge to me. Maybe if it were half that OR had unlimited entrees, I'd be open to it. But, at $39, it's not worth it to me for the quality of steak they offer.  One or two people kept stating, "CG is cheaper than the competition" which has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I think you are missing the point when people say CG is very reasonable at $39 compare to other cruise lines.

I am one of those who say that to provide valuable info to others to inform them of what pricing is on other cruise lines.  I assumed that is what this forum is for. Information!

If someone thinks $39 is too expensive for a 3 course meal.....

Yes, food has been paid for on a cruise. You may go to the MDR or buffet

However, if you want a special meal for a special evening $39 for a meal is very reasonable.

If you can do better at home with a local restaurant, wait until then to have that special evening. 

I accept your opinion as $39 being too much. It is your money and no one should be telling you what to spend $39 on. I think other things are expensive on a cruise. So, I spend my money on what I think is worth it. I personally don't believe the Sancturary is worth $20 or $40. 

Again, my point is. This forum is information and comparing costs and other cruise lines to Princess is germane to discussion.

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, memoak said:

So have you canceled all of your cruises ?

Correct. I have zero ocean cruises planned on anything under the Carnival, RCI or NCL fleet of ships, and I cancelled my Quebec City to NYC route. I am foregoing about $500 in FCC on Princess that I won't be able to use up before the sail by deadline, but it's no biggie as Princess has general been great to me over the years. Far more good than bad memories for me.

I'll round 2023 off with an expedition cruise to Antarctica (I do not classify this as an ocean cruise, but I suppose one could treat it like a scenic ocean cruise..).

2024 should be interesting. There are a lot of really cool places in the world to see!

1 hour ago, caribill said:

And that is the problem.

Princess used to be different in a number of ways from their main competition and this stood out to many people as the first cruise line to look at for a cruise. 

Price always has been. Princess has pretty much been the low cost adult focused line for years.

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

Let's just hope those measures don't end up backfiring...

Words only do so much.  People’s wallets will do the talking.  If/when bookings drop, Princess will pivot as will the others.  Take the restart for example, all the cruise lines dropped fares to entice bookings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oxo said:

Your a TA and I'm sure you will answer your own question.

I have a TA , however, I decide who to cruise with. The TA doesn't push me into any cruise line or product

Happy Cruising! 

Right, the customer always decides. 

Experienced cruises like yourself decide on a cruise and then contact a TA.

But inexperienced and first time cruisers will contact a TA to get advice on what cruise would the best fit them. There is a difference between a TA saying "I think you will enjoy Princess for your first cruise" vs. saying that "RCI is the best fit for you."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

No bigger leap than going from Disney to Princess as Padgett did.

The problem is that Padgett had no background/experience with the cruise industry (not associated with Disney cruises. when he came to Princess to oversee the development of the highly successful and much admired app. 

And his success with the app led to his promotion to be President of PCL.

😬

You're absolutely right.... He did come from mouse. Disney is having to completely re-do the SW live action experience b/c of their crazy pricing. Granted, that was 10 years after Padgett left them, but mouse loves money.

What I don't get is that pizza is among the cheapest products to make. I understand a nominal fee for pizza delivered to your room so people don't eat one or two slices and let good food go to waste... but Alfredo's was great.

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's a one time $14.99 charge to opt-in to OceanNow for the entire cruise.

Don't forget its a "nominal" one time $14.99 charge and it is for each person in the cabin that orders via the app.

Pretty soon all those nominal charges for a number of things add up to what some might not consider nominal total.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Well, less than $2k, technically...but I don't really see it as denying myself anything to not use the glitchy delivery service that doesn't work half the time...

How about if Princess gives you $14.99 every time an order never appears or when it arrives is not what you ordered?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

Right, the customer always decides. 

Experienced cruises like yourself decide on a cruise and then contact a TA.

But inexperienced and first time cruisers will contact a TA to get advice on what cruise would the best fit them. There is a difference between a TA saying "I think you will enjoy Princess for your first cruise" vs. saying that "RCI is the best fit for you."

Fully agree with you. Thank you! 

7 minutes ago, caribill said:

Don't forget its a "nominal" one time $14.99 charge and it is for each person in the cabin that orders via the app.

Pretty soon all those nominal charges for a number of things add up to what some might not consider nominal total.

Including kids. Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer my teen orders her soda on the app rather than go stand at the bar...

4 hours ago, villauk said:

Not if they bought a package for X number of coffees you don’t. You keep what they have pre-paid and charge any new customers the new rates. I pre-buy a television and go to collect my item; the shop doesn’t ask for more money when they hand it over at my collection point, but they would to a new customer who hasn’t already paid!

What coffee shop sells pre-paid coffees?

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

Only one person needs to opt-in for the $14.99 charge. That is nominal to me.