Non Refundable Fares

insley

6 minutes ago, insley said:

Does Celebrity permit you to refare the cost of your cruise on a non-refundable fare with no penalty when the price drops?  Any caveats?

Thank you!

Pat

No problem getting a price match.   I do it often on a NR fare.

• Like 1

Glad you posted this and I have a different question.  Basically I’m wondering why a person would pay for the refundable fare?

From my experience, the difference between the refundable and non refundable fare is pretty close to the non refundable deposit. So in my way of thinking, if I don’t go with the non refundable fare and go on the cruise, I save the extra cost for the refundable fare.  And if I cancel, all I would lose is the deposit.  I never get the refundable fare as we have never cancelled or changed our minds on a sailing.  

But wondering what are other peoples opinions on this 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Glad you posted this and I have a different question.  Basically I’m wondering why a person would pay for the refundable fare?

From my experience, the difference between the refundable and non refundable fare is pretty close to the non refundable deposit. So in my way of thinking, if I don’t go with the non refundable fare and go on the cruise, I save the extra cost for the refundable fare.  And if I cancel, all I would lose is the deposit.  I never get the refundable fare as we have never cancelled or changed our minds on a sailing.  

But wondering what are other peoples opinions on this 

I book way in advance and always refundable fare.  I have had to cxl a bunch of travel/cruises/all inclusive because of work commitments that come up.  I also use a travel agent whose many times his group rate refundable fare is cheaper than celebrity's nr fare published.  Work is the main reason as things happen, if  when I retire, still many years away it might be a different story on how I travel.  I usually have my cruises booked right when they are released overall for room selection.  

• Like 1

I recently changed my solo Nonrefundable cruise scheduled for December 2023 to December 2024.  I was charged the $100 penalty and told it was not possible to book a Refundable fare on the new cruise.  My only option was a Nonrefundable fare on the 2024 cruise.  (After I thought about it, it kind of makes sense, because if I could have booked a Refundable fare, then I would have the option to cancel and get back all of my original Nonrefundable deposit less the $100 penalty fee.)  

What I found interesting is that they just transferred my $400 deposit to the new cruise and added the $100 penalty fee to the balance due at final payment.  I was expecting to have to pay the $100 penalty fee at the time of the change.

• Thanks 1

I thought the rules had changed recently and if you flat out cancelled a non refundable you’d get none of the deposit back. Therefore you have to move the booking to a new cruise whilst paying the penalty to move it. I thought the new booking could be either refundable or non refundable.

This is so confusing. In our case we have two fcd’s to apply within 6 months and we’re going refundable because we don’t have a cruise firmly decided on. We’ll book for 2025 then move it if needed. We were told if we went non refundable we’d lose the lot as the two $100 would be the penalty.