Pre-cruise hotel package or on our own?

Lalof

We are on a Celebrity cruise next July.  We leave from Rome (Civitavecchio).  We plan to get to Rome a few days early so we have some time to explore.  And eat. (Mostly eat). Celebrity offers a 3-night pre-cruise package for $1,444 that includes a driver pickup at the airport, hotel, 2 half-day tours and then transport to the port. Has anyone taken a package like this?  Did you find it worthwhile?  We are debating whether we could finding out own hotel/tours/transportation could result in spending less money, but taking up a bunch of time to research and book.  It seems like there could be some comfort in having the cruise line take care of the details for us.  

Thoughts?

39 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

what are the 2 half-day tours ?  Do they interest you ?

The tours are of the major highlights, plus we would have a day to do whatever we want. Trying to find out what hotel would be included as that might also be am important piece.

23 minutes ago, Lalof said:

The tours are of the major highlights, plus we would have a day to do whatever we want. Trying to find out what hotel would be included as that might also be am important piece.

If the tours are only drive-by tours, you may be better off doing tours on your own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd book it on your own.  You'll probably save money, can do what interests you and not overpay a cruise lines' inflated hotel rates.

Streets in Rome can be small and crowded.  Big vehicles won't get close.   My Aunt and Uncle did a night time golf cart tour  (I do not know which one) and got a lot closer to sites and they raved about it.  (She's fussier than I am and I am super fussy).

Just a thought.  Also, if you find some hotels on line, and email them, sometimes they'll offer you a slightly better rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried to look into the Celebrity 3-night pre-cruise package a few months ago and had a number of questions that Celebrity couldn't answer like what hotel was included. I was told to send a message to their shore excursions group and never got a reply. So I started looking into booking it ourselves and it has proven to be less to book it all ourselves...almost $900 savings (based on the $1,444 price you quoted above) for the two of us and that includes meals which aren't included in the Celebrity pricing. I have spent quite a bit of time researching everything though so there may be a trade-off between savings vs. time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, BarbaraEH said:

I tried to look into the Celebrity 3-night pre-cruise package a few months ago and had a number of questions that Celebrity couldn't answer like what hotel was included. I was told to send a message to their shore excursions group and never got a reply. So I started looking into booking it ourselves and it has proven to be less to book it all ourselves...almost $900 savings (based on the $1,444 price you quoted above) for the two of us and that includes meals which aren't included in the Celebrity pricing. I have spent quite a bit of time researching everything though so there may be a trade-off between savings vs. time.

I have a cruise scheduled out of Rome with Celebrity this year. Early on it gave a generic option for the 2- and 3-night pre-cruise package, but now it actually also includes the option to choose either the Crown Plaza or Empire Palace hotels. I imagine this may change sometimes, but also may give you/anyone a good idea of what hotels to expect, should you book. Enjoy!

Edited by cattalystt
a word added

Most times cruises use hotels that are less central; sometimes in areas far from good restaurants, etc. (The Crowne Plaza mentioned above is one such…).

In my opinion it’s important to be in a walkable area so you can have some independence and not have to take a taxi to every meal and site. 

• Like 2